TuFun

Do we Cancel Everything? You still Travelling??

3 minutes ago, domkle said:

Hey the youngsters

Beyond statistics, there is life. My son who is a MD in Paris tells us about one colleague's wife  and one colleague who are  in reanimation,. Both below 40 yo. Both without prior conditions.

More and more, at ground level, there is the feeling that acute forms of this illness strike very hard the young.

Be careful.

I'm thinking maybe those in the medical profession, treating patents with Covid, working all hours, utterly exhausted, probably have weakened immune systems and are thus more susceptible to infection and more susceptible to severe consequences. 

Who knew Sabine Hossenfelder one of my favourite physicists had a good voice. 😀

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Who knew Sabine Hossenfelder one of my favourite physicists had a good voice. 😀

I`m a great fan of hers too! She`s perhaps the only quantum gravity physicist who has the ovaries to do a music video in a library. 

Edited by CYXR
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Amazing how many physicists are musically minded. Sabine is great, although I think a bit too sceptical of other physicists theories at times

Edited by martin-w

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Amazing how many physicists are musically minded. Sabine is great, although I think a bit too sceptical of other physicists theories at times

I love when Feynman says, at the beginning of one of his course, after being presented as a Nobel prize winner but also an accomplished bongo player, that he was never introduced in a cabaret as a leading physicist.

Sharing your skepticism about Sabine H.'s definitive views on some topics. 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals -

A sharable reminder that the exponential growth curve works both ways...

poTEbriYj

• Like 1

Alan Ampolsk

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!"
-- Saint-Exupery

An emergency room doctor in Elmhurst, Queens, New-York, gives a rare look inside a hospital at the center of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE68xVXf8Kw

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CYXR said:

An emergency room doctor in Elmhurst, Queens, New-York, gives a rare look inside a hospital at the center of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE68xVXf8Kw

Thanks for sharing.  I'm hearing exactly the same from every hospital physician I know.  And it's going to get much worse in very little time.

Here's a personal account of a severe case.  It's grim reading.  A while ago, I would have suggested it for anyone who says "it's just the flu," but I don't much of anyone saying that anymore.

On a productive note - Larry Brilliant, the epidemiologist who played a major role in the eradication of smallpox and who, 14 years ago, predicted what a major viral pandemic would look like and described a program to stop it, has just launched this site, where U.S. friends can report their symptoms and testing status to help generate real-time crowdsourced data. If you live in the U.S., you can help build the picture by answering a couple of questions. And everyone can use it as one more way to track the shape of the pandemic here.

Hope everyone is staying safe.

• Like 1

Alan Ampolsk

-- Saint-Exupery

4 hours ago, Alan_A said:

On a productive note - Larry Brilliant, the epidemiologist who played a major role in the eradication of smallpox and who, 14 years ago, predicted what a major viral pandemic would look like and described a program to stop it, has just launched this site, where U.S. friends can report their symptoms and testing status to help generate real-time crowdsourced data. If you live in the U.S., you can help build the picture by answering a couple of questions. And everyone can use it as one more way to track the shape of the pandemic here.

Alan, thanks for the website, I'm in the states so I'll contribute, here is another link that has potential for early warning https://healthweather.us/ it uses an app on smart phones to measure your temperature then uploads that to a US map. Hopefully it will expand as time goes on.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartinRex007 said:

here is another link that has potential for early warning https://healthweather.us/ i

Thanks for that.  Interesting artifact that the reports of elevated temperature are down in the near term as a result of distancing.  I guess we'll need to see if that's meaningful - i.e. reduction in a variety of contagions, including the novel cornoavirus, or if it ramps up as COVID-19 really takes hold.  I'm going to bet we'll know soon enough...

Alan Ampolsk

-- Saint-Exupery

The problem is with large capital city's were people seem to think lock down does not apply to them and are turning into virus hot spots London is an example. in Europe Madrid Paris now Rome Berlin, and I was shocked to see a porcelain factory in Italy shutting yesterday as the virus now spreads through Italy, Total lockdown I don't think so, and I have been reading reports that the first cases in some country's have been traced to a bar in Austria a sky resort that was kept quite, before the Italy outbreak.

• Like 1

i7 7700K 4.8 \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 960 EVO \ 2TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ P3Dv4.5

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Posted (edited)

I don't mind admitting that those news reports that show rows of beds with people on ventilators scare the **** out of me. We really do not want to be part of that scenario. Stay at home and stay safe, my friends.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

The problem is with large capital city's were people seem to think lock down does not apply to them and are turning into virus hot spots London is an example. in Europe Madrid Paris now Rome Berlin, and I was shocked to see a porcelain factory in Italy shutting yesterday as the virus now spreads through Italy, Total lockdown I don't think so, and I have been reading reports that the first cases in some country's have been traced to a bar in Austria a sky resort that was kept quite, before the Italy outbreak.

No country can have a total lookdown. Sadly, besides the health problem, there is an incoming economic one which is likely going to be even more dangerous than the pandemic itself.
But even if we consider just the health side of things, a lot of services have to continue going. Healthcare production materials, energy, food processing, banks etc etc.. It's a difficult thing to deal with..

• Upvote 2

Just back from my weekly food shop. There was a longish queue to get in with everyone keeping 6ft from each other. Lovely spring sunshine warmed me up. Tesco staff wiping each trolley handle with antiseptic. Once inside the store it was eerily quiet and shelves were fully stocked with only a few exceptions for the usual. 👍

Got all I needed. No panic buying. Everyone was nice and well behaved.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Apparently in Wolverhampton they are stopping cars and asking where people are travelling. If not shopping or a valid reason they are sending them home. I would imagine many will just lie.