Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

Considering Moving from Flt 1 GTN 750/650 to RXP GTN 750/650

I am considering moving from the flight 1 GTN 750/650 to the RXP 750/650. I want to make the decision while the RXP sale is on until March 31. I would appreciate input from users who have used both versions. My main area of concerns are: 1.Importing user defined waypoints, 2. Ease of installing in aircraft equipped with the Fight 1 GTN. 3. Does changing GTN affect Bert's mod for the Carenado aircraft: particulary the PC-12 and Phenom 300. 4. Does the RXP GTN suffer from the same lock up issue that the Flight 1 GTN does when flying helicopters?

What does the RXP GTNs do better?

Your input is appreciated.

Greg

• Like 1

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

The two are basically equivalent, functionally speaking..

If the Flight1 GTN works for you, no need to switch.

Re 2 and 3... the F1 versions can easily be changed to the RXP version.. no real functional impact.

RXP support has been a lot more attentive than the F1 "support".. and for some of us (myself included) the F1 GTN refused to work after switching from Win 7 to 10.

Again.. if it works for you right now... no need to change.

• Like 1

Bert

Thanks Bert

I hope some one chimes in the helicopter issue. If the RXP version works with RW, I would switch.

Greg

Greg Morin

58 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Thanks Bert

I hope some one chimes in the helicopter issue. If the RXP version works with RW, I would switch.

Greg

What's the helo issue?  And what's RW?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

26 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

And what's RW?

I'm guessing Rotary Wing? (Some use that term for helos)

• Like 1

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

Oh I guess I didn't read the first post very well

I use rxp fine with helos.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have both version. I changed over to Reality xp because I was getting random crashes and freezes with f1. not sure while but got frustrated after a couple cycle of uninstall/reinstall.

Have had no issues with reality xp. 

• Like 1

Bill Moore

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

RXP support has been a lot more attentive than the F1 "support".

And user-to-user collaboration cannot even be compared.....  I took too long to make the transition from F1 to RXP.   Now two years into RXP I have not even considered going back.

RXP has done a great job of embracing new features each time Garmin updates the GTN trainer. Not certain, but perhaps someone still actively using both might advise if F1 has kept pace.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, GACSavannah said:

I'm guessing Rotary Wing? (Some use that term for helos)

You are correct.

Greg

Greg Morin

Some add-on only naturally support F1GTN, while swap it to RXP's one is very easy with it's tool, the button and knob on the VC's3D frame will not cooperate.

I mainly control it with pop-up window on my touch screen, so it's OK for me, while most control are done on the screen anyway, the "Direct to" button is the one you would miss.

1 hour ago, C2615 said:

Some add-on only naturally support F1GTN, while swap it to RXP's one is very easy with it's tool, the button and knob on the VC's3D frame will not cooperate.

I mainly control it with pop-up window on my touch screen, so it's OK for me, while most control are done on the screen anyway, the "Direct to" button is the one you would miss.

You have to use the user mods to get the buttons working

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

A few threads up it was just noted that F1 released a new version that works with the latest Garmin trainer if that’s a deciding factor for the OP.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Change History

Changes made from version 2.6.0.0 to 2.7.0.0:

• GPS 175, GNC 355/355A, and GNX 375 updated to v3.10.0 for airborne software update
  • Trainer startup crash bug fixes and other stability improvements GTN Xi, GTN, TXi, and GDU 620

Doesn’t look like an useful update for the GTN750

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

1 hour ago, vincentrouleau said:

Change History

Changes made from version 2.6.0.0 to 2.7.0.0:

• GPS 175, GNC 355/355A, and GNX 375 updated to v3.10.0 for airborne software update
  • Trainer startup crash bug fixes and other stability improvements GTN Xi, GTN, TXi, and GDU 620

Doesn’t look like an useful update for the GTN750

Depends on whether this affects you, or not..

"startup crash bug fixes and other stability improvements"

Bert

Thanks to all that replied. You have given me something to think about. I did update the F1 GTN and the Garmin trainer. I think I need to evaluate the upgrade. I did try a short Helicopter fight using a direct to on the GTN. It appeared to function correctly. However the sim did give me a long frame and then a CTD

- EventData 

APPCRASH 
   Not available 
   Prepar3D.exe 
   5d8abf93 
   KERNELBASE.dll 
   b31987d3 
   c0020001 
   000000000003a859 

If It happens again I will try the RXP unit. I do know that a lot of things can cause a KERNALBASE.dll CTD, but this is the only change I have made to my system which has been very stable and fluid.

Greg

Greg Morin