Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Device Hung CTD?

Today on 3 of 3 flights I have gotten the same CTD that I have never seen before.  The flights I did were ORD-FLL (CTD on decent), FLL-ORD (CTD on climb out), and PHX-SFO (CTD on descent).  The message came up as the following - DXG1_ERROR-DEVICE_HUNG and mentioned that my 1080TI stopped working or being recognized.  Anyone know what could cause this?  I have never seen this happen and I don't think I changed anything other than updating REX Sky Force this morning.  Could something with that cause this?  Thanks!  I am on 4.5 and this happened in the FSL320 and 321

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Have you tried re-installing your GPU drivers first then re-boot.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Have you tried re-installing your GPU drivers first then re-boot.

I have not... Dumb question but how would I go about doing that?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

If you use GeForce Experience go to drivers then re-install link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/49656293516/in/dateposted-public/

Or download direct from Nvidia Web Site, when installing other software or product your GPU drivers may have been corrupted you can never tell but this is the first steep to rule it out.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

If you use GeForce Experience go to drivers then re-install link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/49656293516/in/dateposted-public/

Or download direct from Nvidia Web Site, when installing other software or product your GPU drivers may have been corrupted you can never tell but this is the first steep to rule it out.

Thanks.  It looks like a new driver was released on the 10th.  I'll give that a try.  Hopefully that will fix things

1 hour ago, Zimmerbz said:

It looks like a new driver was released on the 10th.

I would recommend not to use the very latest driver. Previous ones have been tested more and if you look for reliability, better not to employ the latest.

Since you have this kind of error, you may want to make sure your next driver installation to be "as clean as possible". Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) before installing the new one.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

I would recommend not to use the very latest driver. Previous ones have been tested more and if you look for reliability, better not to employ the latest.

Since you have this kind of error, you may want to make sure your next driver installation to be "as clean as possible". Use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) before installing the new one.

Cheers, Ed

I saw your recommendation too late after i downloaded and installed the latest version.  On the first flight with the new driver, I got the same crash.  What could be causing this?  I have never seen this until today and the only change i did outside of the driver update was to update Skyforce.  Could that have something to do with it?  This seems so weird to me considering I have never had this until today and now i get it on every flight! 

25 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

I saw your recommendation too late after i downloaded and installed the latest version.  On the first flight with the new driver, I got the same crash.  What could be causing this?  I have never seen this until today and the only change i did outside of the driver update was to update Skyforce.  Could that have something to do with it?  This seems so weird to me considering I have never had this until today and now i get it on every flight! 

I had the same type of error before. What I did when that happened to me was to uninstall the existing driver using DDU (you cand find it at www.guru3d.com). Follow the instructions provided, step by step, using safe mode, etc., etc. After you have uninstalled your current driver look for driver version 442.19 (I have this one and I've found it to be very solid, stable driver). You can download the 442,19 even before uninstalling your existing driver. Finally, install the new driver after DDU finishes its job.

What happens sometimes is that if a previous video driver is not uninstalled properly or has leftovers from previous installations, it produces the type of error you have. With the use of DDU you can stay sure the possible leftovers will be deleted from your system as if you were installing a new video card in your system for the first time.

Good luck with this one.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

16 hours ago, edpatino said:

I had the same type of error before. What I did when that happened to me was to uninstall the existing driver using DDU (you cand find it at www.guru3d.com). Follow the instructions provided, step by step, using safe mode, etc., etc. After you have uninstalled your current driver look for driver version 442.19 (I have this one and I've found it to be very solid, stable driver). You can download the 442,19 even before uninstalling your existing driver. Finally, install the new driver after DDU finishes its job.

What happens sometimes is that if a previous video driver is not uninstalled properly or has leftovers from previous installations, it produces the type of error you have. With the use of DDU you can stay sure the possible leftovers will be deleted from your system as if you were installing a new video card in your system for the first time.

Good luck with this one.

Cheers, Ed

I'll have to try this but before i do, I might have found something.    I read that people were having trouble with the Sloped Runways in Latinvfr KFLL causing a similar CTD and they suggested to delete SlopedrwyAI.  I did that but still got the error.  Keep in mind that I am not technical but looked in my Crash Log and saw the crash in the process file was saying WerFault.exe - hardware error.  Not sure what that means but i think this is what is causing it.  Any ideas?  LIke I said, I have no idea what could have prompted this since I literally never have had this and now it is on every flight.  Thoughts? 

WerFault.exe    Hardware error    3/14/2020 12:44:40 PM    All Users                    C:\Windows\System32\WerFault.exe    8,916    C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_141_74e6c3b8cf1a67bff4f2a54948ed93b2175f72d7_00000000_cab_15d01e74\Report.wer    

18 hours ago, edpatino said:

Good luck with this one.

Cheers, Ed

I am going to try this.  How complicated is it and approximately how long does it take?  I opened the exe and it looks as though there are a bunch of boxes that can be checked or unchecked... how do I know which ones to do?  I just want to be sure because I don't want to mess anything up.  Also, I want to make sure I allocate enough time to do this.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

I'll have to try this but before i do, I might have found something.    I read that people were having trouble with the Sloped Runways in Latinvfr KFLL causing a similar CTD and they suggested to delete SlopedrwyAI.  I did that but still got the error.  Keep in mind that I am not technical but looked in my Crash Log and saw the crash in the process file was saying WerFault.exe - hardware error.  Not sure what that means but i think this is what is causing it.  Any ideas?  LIke I said, I have no idea what could have prompted this since I literally never have had this and now it is on every flight.  Thoughts? 

WerFault.exe    Hardware error    3/14/2020 12:44:40 PM    All Users                    C:\Windows\System32\WerFault.exe    8,916    C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_141_74e6c3b8cf1a67bff4f2a54948ed93b2175f72d7_00000000_cab_15d01e74\Report.wer    

I don't have the LatinVRF KFLL scenery, but I don't really think a scenery could cause this type of error. If you have an indication of a hardware error it would probably come from your video card. I don't mean your video card is damaged, but you should try to re-install your video driver with the help of DDU to see if that cures the problem. Hopefully it will.

4 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

I am going to try this.  How complicated is it and approximately how long does it take?  I opened the exe and it looks as though there are a bunch of boxes that can be checked or unchecked... how do I know which ones to do?  I just want to be sure because I don't want to mess anything up.  Also, I want to make sure I allocate enough time to do this.  Thanks!

Download the most recent version of DDU from www.guru3d.com. Decompress the file and put it in your desktop. You have to reboot your PC into Windows Safe Mode, as recommended by DDU. Once you're in safe mode, run DDU (you don't have to check or uncheck anything) and in "Select Device Type" select your video unit (GPU from the drop-down list). Then select Clean and Restart and in a few seconds it will do its work and all files related to your video drivers will be deleted from your system. Once DDU ends, your PC should reboot in normal mode (no more in safe mode). Once it finishes rebooting you're ready to go with your new driver installation. I always reboot my system after a driver installation, but this is just me, and it maybe is not necessary.

After all this restart P3D, put yourself in any of your previous flight scenarios and see if the problem is gone. Hopefully it will.

If there are any more questions, please let me know. All this should not take more than 15-20 minutes (I mean running DDU and installing the new video driver). Take your time.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

5 hours ago, edpatino said:

I don't have the LatinVRF KFLL scenery, but I don't really think a scenery could cause this type of error. If you have an indication of a hardware error it would probably come from your video card. I don't mean your video card is damaged, but you should try to re-install your video driver with the help of DDU to see if that cures the problem. Hopefully it will.

Download the most recent version of DDU from www.guru3d.com. Decompress the file and put it in your desktop. You have to reboot your PC into Windows Safe Mode, as recommended by DDU. Once you're in safe mode, run DDU (you don't have to check or uncheck anything) and in "Select Device Type" select your video unit (GPU from the drop-down list). Then select Clean and Restart and in a few seconds it will do its work and all files related to your video drivers will be deleted from your system. Once DDU ends, your PC should reboot in normal mode (no more in safe mode). Once it finishes rebooting you're ready to go with your new driver installation. I always reboot my system after a driver installation, but this is just me, and it maybe is not necessary.

After all this restart P3D, put yourself in any of your previous flight scenarios and see if the problem is gone. Hopefully it will.

If there are any more questions, please let me know. All this should not take more than 15-20 minutes (I mean running DDU and installing the new video driver). Take your time.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks so much!  That seemed to work!  I appreciate the help!  I owe you one!

Glad to hear that. Welcome!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

5 hours ago, edpatino said:

Glad to hear that. Welcome!.

Cheers, Ed

Well, I spoke too soon.  though I got through one flight, my latest one I did had the same CTD.  Still the same error:

WerFault.exe    Hardware error    3/15/2020 5:14:12 PM    All Users                    C:\Windows\System32\WerFault.exe    8,914    C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_141_f82ee53c8a866e97efcea94ec210fb4dc4db921_00000000_cab_241c15c7\Report.wer    

Could this be a virus or something?  It is so strange to me that this started happening out of nowhere!  

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.