Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Device Hung CTD?

Try this for size.

26. Is a good one often ignored by some users when updating GPU drivers or new GPU.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 3/13/2020 at 4:35 PM, Zimmerbz said:

Today on 3 of 3 flights I have gotten the same CTD that I have never seen before.  The flights I did were ORD-FLL (CTD on decent), FLL-ORD (CTD on climb out), and PHX-SFO (CTD on descent).  The message came up as the following - DXG1_ERROR-DEVICE_HUNG and mentioned that my 1080TI stopped working or being recognized.  Anyone know what could cause this?  I have never seen this happen and I don't think I changed anything other than updating REX Sky Force this morning.  Could something with that cause this?  Thanks!  I am on 4.5 and this happened in the FSL320 and 321

Ironically I had been spending some time with XP11 and I was so impressed with the new sim that I decided to make some room on my SSDs to make room for some more freeware sceneries for XP11. So I decided to do a full re-install of my win 10 which included what I thought was the best driver (442.19) and after abut 1/2 hour flight last night and being mesmerized by the night lighting at KFLL and all the beautiful AIG AI traffic with reborn pro lights, I was hit by the message "DXG1_ERROR-DEVICE_HUNG." I had never seen that message before. The only two things that are different are a full install of win 10 and its updates & that I had a second monitor connected to my GTX 1070, but it was not being used or even enabled.

So, this morning I've began my quest to find a solution and my initial thought (since this has been an issue for years on some systems) is some win 10 update or a setting that needs to be changed in order to stop the error.

Right away some people with good intentions blame it on the NVidia driver or Inspector or OC your card, when it's probably a setting or a bad win 10 update.

Edited by DJJose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

Ironically I had been spending some time with XP11 and I was so impressed with the new sim that I decided to make some room on my SSDs to make room for some more freeware sceneries for XP11. So I decided to do a full re-install of my win 10 which included what I thought was the best driver (442.19) and after abut 1/2 hour flight last night and being mesmerized by the night lighting at KFLL and all the beautiful AIG AI traffic with reborn pro lights, I was hit by the message "DXG1_ERROR-DEVICE_HUNG." I had never seen that message before. The only two things that are different are a full install of win 10 and its updates & that I had a second monitor connected to my GTX 1070, but it was not being used or even enabled.

So, this morning I've began my quest to find a solution and my initial thought (since this has been an issue for years on some systems) is some win 10 update or a setting that needs to be changed in order to stop the error.

Right away some people with good intentions blame it on the NVidia driver or Inspector or OC your card, when it's probably a setting or a bad win 10 update.

I am beginning to think it is/was something to do with Windows updates. I called and was troubleshooting with a tech that built my PC and the first thing he noticed was that a Windows update didn't finish so he thought that was the culprit.  He helped completely update Windows and freed up a bunch of space on my hard drive because it was near capacity.   We thought that would do the trick.  It didn't.... When I called back and talked to them some more, they basically said this message is a Windows and Nvidia issue and there really isn't a fix unless Windows releases another update or Nvidia sends a new driver, or both.  It is something related to DirectX possibly?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

22 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

Is that easy to do?

For my EVGA card was, with the EVGA Precision XOC app.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

What if I did a system restore to a restore date that was before I was having these issues?  Would that work possibly?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

On 3/19/2020 at 10:53 AM, Evros said:

Download Nvidia Inspector and from there, click on show overclocking. Additional functions should slide out and then you can set, for example, -400 to memory clock offset. Then click apply clocks & voltage. You can use any AIB overclocking tool as well. Doesn't really matter.

You can wipe shaders by deleting all content inside 

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders

I don't see an area in my Nvidia inspector to "show overclocking" .  The button is not there.  Is there another place i need to look?  There is nothing to push in the bottom right

Would a restore work?

13 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

I don't see an area in my Nvidia inspector to "show overclocking" .  The button is not there.  Is there another place i need to look?  There is nothing to push in the bottom right

Would a restore work?

If you have a full back, then it doesn't hurt to try. But, I wouldn't try it without 1st doing an image backup. This means a full image of your drives, not just your files.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Same problem for me with the latest nvidia driver, gtx 1080 ti

no problem at all with old drivers 

Frédéric Giraud

6 minutes ago, grandfred29 said:

Same problem for me with the latest nvidia driver, gtx 1080 ti

no problem at all with old drivers 

Were you able to resolve it?  

Also, for those suggesting i reduce my clock speed, this is what I show in Nvidia inspector

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186732856@N04/?

On 3/21/2020 at 10:43 PM, Zimmerbz said:

Also, for those suggesting i reduce my clock speed, this is what I show in Nvidia inspector

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186732856@N04/?

Put base clock offset to -50 and memory to -400. Apply and test. If this much negative offset wont resolve it then it's not hardware. If it's stabile there then it is hardware and you need to address that.

If I run other programs like watch a stream on my web browser I get this error. If I run flight sim only I do not get it. Avoid any alt tab changing windows.

9 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

If I run other programs like watch a stream on my web browser I get this error. If I run flight sim only I do not get it. Avoid any alt tab changing windows.

Thanks.  I’ll see if this makes a difference

On 3/26/2020 at 5:57 AM, Zimmerbz said:

Thanks.  I’ll see if this makes a difference

If there are other programs open the error crashes my sim. I have opened pfpx once and it caused the device hung. If I fly with the sim and activesky nothing else running and get a device hung then it is from a scenery I find old scenery not made for p3d v4 can cause that sometimes. I really hope LM and Nvidia could find a solution for this.