Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Device Hung CTD?

I am having this annoying error message for a week. I remove old scenery each time that I think is causing it but it comes back in the middle of a cruise with no graphics load on my pc and nothing in the background running. The one consistent here is I started using the Nvidia Experience to upgrade my drivers, checking the box for clean install. In the past I'd run Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode and run the Nvidia Driver on reboot. Why would a simple graphics driver install require the DDU to run? Something in the sim is causing this that no other sim or game has. Is it the airplane? Old scenery? P3D itself?

Each time there is a topic like this, it gets longer and longer with suggestions for fixes. It is not unique to P3D by any means as a Google search for DEVICE_HUNG will quickly reveal. In short, there is no universal solution.

In my individual case, that is it works for me but there is no guarantee that it is the solution or that it will work for anyone else, disabling the onboard sound on both my motherboard in the BIOS and on my GTX 1070 ti in Device Manager has solved the problem apparently permanently. I use USB headphones for my sound instead, something that I was already doing.

1.jpg

Edited by Reader

7 minutes ago, Reader said:

Each time there is a topic like this, it gets longer and longer with suggestions for fixes. It is not unique to P3D by any means as a Google search for DEVICE_HUNG will quickly reveal. In short, there is no universal solution.

In my individual case, that is it works for me but there is no guarantee that it is the solution or that it will work for anyone else, disabling the onboard sound on both my motherboard in the BIOS and on my GTX 1070 ti in Device Manager has solved the problem apparently permanently. I use USB headphones for my sound instead, something that I was already doing.

1.jpg

I have a PCI-E Sound Card... onboard disabled

With so many supposed solutions and different experiences I am going to blame P3D as the cause. When I see old scenery giving me this error, or when on the ramp after a flight and right when I open PFPX P3D gives the error, it is something in the sim itself and how it interacts with our hardware.

Edited by Boeing or not going

I realise that it is a long shot, but if you also have an Nvidia graphics card, try disabling the sound on that, like I have. It must be worth a try at least. Or not, if you are convinced that the error lies elsewhere.

Edited by Reader

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

I realise that it is a long shot, but if you also have an Nvidia graphics card, try disabling the sound on that, like I have. It must be worth a try at least. Or not, if you are convinced that the error lies elsewhere.

My sound devices are disabled except the sound card I use. I do install the Nvidia surround sound driver when I update my video card.

I do not, but unfortunately, Windows insists on installing a driver, so it has to be disabled instead. Never mind, the suggestion might help someone else. 

uninstall your hardware GPU with DDU on safe mode until finish and reinstall your driver if your use Nvidia dont select Express but Custom and uncheck Physx Driver and Nvidia Sound because prepar3d not support physx your trouble like my trouble

Edited by Prastama

Hopefully I am not saying this too soon but the latest Nvidia driver update people are finding helps in P3D 5 I see no Device Hung messages in V4.