Sign in to follow this  
MOD71

MK Studios Keflavik - any good?

I really like it.

Just finished a round trip of KEF - IFJ - AEY - RKV - KEF in the Dash 8. A lot of fun, especially now that I finally have an airport scenery that is really worth visiting in Iceland. (I have Orbx's OLC Europe, but their Iceland demo will work just as well).

MK-Studios' KEF has excellent performance with all the modern features we now expect.
Photoscenery extends to cover the towns of Keflavik, Vogar, Gardur in the north, the 'Blue Lagoon' in the south and everything west of it on the Reykjanes peninsula. Grindavik is not covered, however.

The only downsides for me so far are:
- a weak AFD file
- snow banks that look a bit cartoon-ish
- annoying repetitive texture patterns on the airfield (both grass and taxiways covered in snow)
- abrupt end to photo scenery coverage south of the airport (I know that ortho is bought in tiles, but if they were going to get ortho, make it cover right up to the coastline for a more natural look).

None of these are show-stoppers though and this KEF is a welcome addition to bring a long overdue scenery up to P3D4 standard.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

I don't see it as the devs job to code the airlines at the proper gates or cargo spots at all. Not everyone has the same AI, some use proper codes and wingspan and others aren't even close. Many users don't even use ai and just fly online. If you want a better ade/afcad for any airport, do it yourself or wait for someone else to hopefully do it.

Maybe not something specific to any one AI program but there’s a pretty generic standard out there to use airline ICAO codes that developers should use as a minimum.  I don’t think AIG’s system is really much different than that.

I opened up the AFCAD file today and there are literally no airline codes in any parking space.  That’s not an acceptable level of (non) effort in my books.  It took me 20 minutes or so to go through the BIKF wiki page, see what airlines use the airport, and at least enter ICAO codes as an educated guess.  I also made the remote parking spaces slightly larger than the ones at the terminal so the terminal spaces would be filled first.  Unfortunately, the BIKF airport departures page doesn’t include gate numbers and I couldn’t see much on google earth so not a lot of data to go on.  But at least now aircraft should somewhat park in the right places.

But that simple overhaul should be done by the addon developer, they could have easily done the same thing I did and in the grand scheme of the work needed to create an airport, the time needed would be minuscule.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

It would appear that with BIKF some object (ILS antenna's most noticeable) only appear when your Scenery complexity is very dense or higher. Just to confirm both JS ELLX and MK EIDW antenna's appear at Scenery complexity dense.

I hope they adjust this in a future patch.

Edited by Antonov22
Double-checking
  • Upvote 1

Kind Regards,

Peter

Does the installer allow using the addon.xml and/or scenery.cfg method?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

3 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

add-on.xml

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Deleted.

Edited by mdreyer

Murray Dreyer

New version available now at  simmarket.

Version 1.01Changelog

- AFCAD: Airlines assigned to stands,
- AFCAD: Stand 42 deactivated (used by static),
- VOR KEV added,
- Added missing line at stand 9,
- Changed Scenery Complexity for some airport objects,
- Static airplanes at BIIS removed,
- Installer improvements,
- ORBX compatibility fixes.

MK  do act fast ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dick said:

New version available now at  simmarket.

Version 1.01Changelog

- AFCAD: Airlines assigned to stands,
- AFCAD: Stand 42 deactivated (used by static),
- VOR KEV added,
- Added missing line at stand 9,
- Changed Scenery Complexity for some airport objects,
- Static airplanes at BIIS removed,
- Installer improvements,
- ORBX compatibility fixes.

MK  do act fast ! 

Very true! I went ahead and purchased it. After a frustrating hunt for duplicate Orbx files I have finally got it working as it should. It's a great scenery and well worth it if you are looking to fly in this part of the world.

If like me you were having trouble with elevation, duplicate building etc, make sure you check each folder with in Orbx OpenLC Europe, and Orbx Iceland. I found multiple copies of the files MK Studios advise to disable within these. Also, if you have a random Qantas 737 static, and default Dash 8s appearing, I found 2 traffic files in scenery/world/scenery that need to be disabled also. They are installed by Orbx Iceland Demo and are labelled something like traffic.icelanddemo.ga and traffic.icelanddemo.commercial......but don't quote me!

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Murray Dreyer

13 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

You can easily change an installed airport package from addon.xml to scenery.cfg. That's what I have done with MK Studios EIDW Dublin. On a side note, does anyone have a top down screenshot showing the photoreal coverage?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 3/14/2020 at 9:23 AM, Nyxx said:

BlackBox711 did a stream to it last night. It looked very nice. Go watch it on twitch.

Yes it was a pretty long flight for a sort of European based flight. 

To be honest I'm not too sure where Iceland see's itself as belonging, Europe?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

3 hours ago, mdreyer said:

Orbx OpenLC Europe, and Orbx Iceland

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the same files. To quote ORBX:

Orbx Global Iceland Demo Experience for yourself how adding Orbx Global, Vector and openLC completely upgrades your sim.

If you have OpenLC Europe installed, the Iceland files are just wasted drive space.

just my 2 cents.

Kind Regards,

Peter

2 minutes ago, Antonov22 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the same files. To quote ORBX:

Orbx Global Iceland Demo Experience for yourself how adding Orbx Global, Vector and openLC completely upgrades your sim.

If you have OpenLC Europe installed, the Iceland files are just wasted drive space.

just my 2 cents.

Would Orbx Central let you still install them if they were the same files, or is OC not capable of knowing of duplicate files for the same simulator?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Did a flight from EGGL at daytime with the a321 was nice. And now doing a flight to Kastrup with the NGXU at nighttime. 

I also like the scenery looks good.

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I've installed version 1.01. But I have a problem in that most of the Jetways are away from the terminal with no bridges across.

I'm using GSX2. could that need attention somehow? If so, what? Anyone else?

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I find the performance around the terminal very heavy with the fs labs and medium settings and my computer it’s powerful i9900k 5ghz and a 1080 ti etc etc I have send them emails cos it’s one of the few scenery’s I am having issues with stutters around the terminal area something it’s not right with it considering there is no moving traffic on this airport and not a lot of autógen it needs looking at