Sign in to follow this  
Farlis

Departing OTHH in real life?

I was just simulating a departure from Doha and stumbled upon a curiosity.

The SID charts make special note to strictly adhere to level restrictions unless otherwise instructed by ATC.

Since ProATC is very strict with adhering to restrictions I had to fly my simulated PATOM 1M departure from RW16L as published. 

Not only does that mean that it takes 20 Minutes until you are finally allowed to climb to cruise level but it also means that you fly across the city of Doha at 3000ft.

Has anyone here flown out of Doha in real life as a pilot? Or does live in the area? I can't imagine that ATC will really have all those jet aircraft fly that low over the city. I mean the sea is nearby, why are departing aircraft, which are much noisier than arriving aircraft not routed over the sea to get away from noise sensitive areas? Who on earth would plot a route directly over densly populated areas? The noise abatement seems to be non existant there.

I'm confused how this is possible.

Why don't you watch a few departures out of Doha with Flight Radar 24, Planefinder etc? This will most likely answer all your questions.

Just checked and there are no noise abatement procedures at OTHH.

Btw, at 3000ft at a very low thrust setting in clean configuration and at low speed, jets are are less noisy than fully configured with the flaps and gear down. 

It's way more practical and easier to keep the departing traffic below the arriving traffic. 

Edited by FDEdev

21 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Why don't you watch a few departures out of Doha with Flight Radar 24, Planefinder etc?

Duh, why didn't I think of that. I use Flightradar 24 anyway to plan my flights... 🥴

I did just that and it seems the level restrictions are not enforced most of the time. The real life counterpart of the flight I did yesterday flew the same departure and climbed without restrictions.

Edited by Farlis