Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cindy_Zoonan

YES!!! I've found a brilliant way get good autogen and still have great framerates!

Guest Jimbofly

Remember the blog that included the suggestion to place these lines into FSX.CFG?TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000And then bring them down to reduce the max density, so that you could actually have much less autogen?Well, I've discovered that the first line actually corresponds to autogen density IN THICKLY FORESTED AREAS!!!If you set the lines as follows:TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=0TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000You'll still get autogen buildings AND TREES. The difference is that this time heavily forested areas will be a lot sparser, but trees in general can still be quite plentyful at high autogen settings.What I've done is set my sim as follows:TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=0TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=500Then I crank the autogen slider to full.I still get several autogen buildings being displayed, and several trees, but the performance is dramatically improved!Also, if I turn the autogen to about medium, I get a good balance of trees and buildings and my FPS are fantastic!Anyway, thought I'd share. I'm going back to enjoy FSX!James

umm, if your trees are set to zero then you shouldnt be seeing any trees at all...did you shut down the sim before editing the fsx.cfg?I actually have my trees set to 3 and my building set to 6000 (i do lots of flying over city areas and dislike the scale of the autogen trees...too many big ones unless yer over a forest) and i get very few trees now.Dave

I think there are two different types of tree definitions. One for city areas and one for rural areas. Looks like maybe that setting only affects one of those.Matt

Interesting. I was about to set mine exactly the opposite way. I love the bush and mountain flights more than the urban flights.Going to try both in both environments.What we need now is a quick and dirty little progran that allows you to adjust the autogen properties in the FXS.cfg file from within the sim. "Click for Urban or Rural." That would be handy.

Guest CyberOps

you will still get trees at 0 but just a small reminder do not set it lower then 10 or at certain points your game is going to crash this was also said on other places.

>I think there are two different types of tree definitions. >One for city areas and one for rural areas. Looks like maybe>that setting only affects one of those.>>MattYep there also new textures for trees in the global texture folder :-)Andr

André

The interesting, and unfortunate, thing for me is that either adjusting these values or using the modified autogen description files has neglible effect on FPS for me sitting on the rwy at KSEA. Certainly the number and variety of object types changes with each tweak, but the FPS stays pretty well the same (around 13 with all settings on ultra high). This is running beta 3, not the retail version so that might be it :-hmmmGary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

that would be cool...so does anyone know how i can set the city trees to 3 and then the rural areas to a much higher number?...this would be perfect for me...as i fly in both areas and and the way i have it set to 3 leaves me with too little trees in rural and mountainous areas right now.Dave

>The interesting, and unfortunate, thing for me is that either>adjusting these values or using the modified autogen>description files has neglible effect on FPS for me sitting on>the rwy at KSEA. Certainly the number and variety of object>types changes with each tweak, but the FPS stays pretty well>the same (around 13 with all settings on ultra high). This is>running beta 3, not the retail version so that might be it>:-hmmm>>GaryI think this is because your system is so powerfull to begin with.Matt

>>The interesting, and unfortunate, thing for me is that>either>>adjusting these values or using the modified autogen>>description files has neglible effect on FPS for me sitting>on>>the rwy at KSEA. Certainly the number and variety of object>>types changes with each tweak, but the FPS stays pretty well>>the same (around 13 with all settings on ultra high). This>is>>running beta 3, not the retail version so that might be it>>:-hmmm>>>>Gary>>I think this is because your system is so powerfull to begin>with.>>MattNah, he's only got an E6400! :-lol

>>What we need now is a quick and dirty little progran that>allows you to adjust the autogen properties in the FXS.cfg>file from within the sim. "Click for Urban or Rural." That>would be handy.You can't do that. Well, you can do it, but you would STILL have to re-start the sim every time you made a change to the cfg file...so that kind of defeats the purpose trying to change the values while you're in the sim.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>The interesting, and unfortunate, thing for me is that either>adjusting these values or using the modified autogen>description files has neglible effect on FPS for me sitting on>the rwy at KSEA. Certainly the number and variety of object>types changes with each tweak, but the FPS stays pretty well>the same (around 13 with all settings on ultra high). This is>running beta 3, not the retail version so that might be it>:-hmmm>>GaryBut after you take off, you should get better fps. Often times, at busy airports, tweaking the autogen has little effect on fps on my system too.I think that is because at the detailed airports, what is taking your fps down is the number and quality of the airport buildings and their textures...and less so the autogen.Whereas away from one of these airports, the autogen becomes the #1 frame rate drainer.Those are my observations...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>You can't do that. Well, you can do it, but you would STILL>have to re-start the sim every time you made a change to the>cfg file...so that kind of defeats the purpose trying to>change the values while you're in the sim.Go the the keyboard configuration and assign unused key-combo to RELOAD SCENERY and then you can do just that without quiting the sim... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator