Sign in to follow this  
Azzles86

Mfs2020 alpha release testing

Microsoft announcing that the game is now in alpha release testing .. can anyone shed light on what this means ? 

is the alpha now complete and going through testing before the beta ? 

and do you think the oceans will be to scale ? Or condensed down to make flying between countries more convenient ? 
simulating a flight from london to lax for example will take 7 hours on avg if it's to scale .. it’ll be super cool if it is to scale , just seems hard to believe that the developers will scale the oceans as flying over oceans hours at a time could get boring ? What are your thoughts on this 

The entire world will obviously be full scale.

The only time I've had a scaled down world is when I made one in Vehicle Simulator.  MSFS is extremely unlikely to have that option.  I reinstalled my flight sims figuring I could either sail at 10 knots in a 1/10 scale world or fly the full scale world at 100 knots in the same time. 😄 

I fly somewhat slower aircraft so an ocean crossing might take 10 hours.  I've found that doing my own navigation (no GPS) and hand flying instead of using the autopilot makes the trips much less boring.  Especially when I have to fly low enough to dodge weather.  

If you don't have 7-10 hours to fly, you have some options.  You can either use time compression (which ruins the immersion for me), save the flight and resume it later, or slew your aircraft to near the end, perhaps at top of descent.  Some people set autopilot and walk away with the sim set to pause at top of descent.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I value your response , you seem pretty clued up on flight sims . 

i have never been interested in sims previously but this one has caught my attention .. presumably alot of people like myself also . 

super exiting to think you can virtually fly around your neighbourhood , follow coastlines etc . 

• Like 1

Welcome to the wonderful world of flight simming! 😄 😄

I've got maybe 12,000 hours since I started with FSX in 2007.  I've flown almost everywhere and seen almost everything.  Compared to most of this community I'm still an amateur. 🙂 

I think the most exciting thing to come from MSFS is the ability to fly over our own house.  We've never had that before unless someone made custom scenery for it.  When the entire world exists to that level of detail you can bet we'll find all sorts of interesting things to see.  

Right now, Easter Island has a few stone faces.  The new sim will probably have them all.  This is just one offbeat example.  The videos and screen shots we've seen so far show incredible detail, more than we've ever seen before, even with custom scenery.

I'm going to predict that we'll have a lot of new people taking real life flying lessons next year.

Best guess for a release date:  for the Christmas buying season this year.

Hook

Edited by LHookins

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I am now in quarantine. Would have plenty of time to test, but I'm not in alpha. so what?

I'm sure you can still use whatever you have to fly.. FS9, FSX, FSX:SE, P3D, XP, or any other sim..

You have plenty of time, as you say..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I signed up for the Alpha the day it was announced and have yet to receive an invite to be a tester. I don't think Microsoft is really in a hurry to appease the people that want to help develop this game. I would have expected November 2020 for a release date, but I am guessing more like May or June of 2021 because of this. They like their delays.

11 hours ago, SupaDave said:

I signed up for the Alpha the day it was announced and have yet to receive an invite to be a tester. I don't think Microsoft is really in a hurry to appease the people that want to help develop this game. I would have expected November 2020 for a release date, but I am guessing more like May or June of 2021 because of this.

The Alpha testing is not to appease people, it is for testing.  At this point, most people that have signed up have not been invited.  They have over 5,000 people doing testing.  That is a huge testing group, and a lot to manage.  Even so, they plan to add more, there should be an update today.

I don't understand why you think there will be a delay just because you haven't been invited.

Given the coronavirus , in a way it could speed up testing if anything as if people are self isolating , testers will have more time to test . 

looking forward to an update later 🤞

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 5:23 PM, Azzles86 said:

Microsoft announcing that the game is now in alpha release testing .. can anyone shed light on what this means ? 

The current release of Microsoft Flight Simulator in testing is an Alpha, this title is just stating that I believe - nothing related to timelines.

There is a lot they haven't shown us, IFR/IFC, multiplayer, missions, Jets, VR? I'm sure we'll be in Alpha for a good few months yet.

They made this statement today.

"ALPHA INVITATIONS
 There have been a number of discussions in the community regarding Alpha build access recently. We are continuing to discuss our current participation strategy and will finalize any changes/communicate to the community, once we release the updated Alpha build. Our current top 3 tasks regarding Alpha participation are as follows:

1. Ensure that everyone that received an acceptance email has access to the Alpha.
  2. Ensure that those that registered early for pre-release build testing, have access to the Alpha.
  3. Assess Alpha participation options for adding more people as quickly as possible."

Just seen the update too .. a bit disappointed , but safety is paramount . 

given the sdk is being used by over 50 companies , highly likely that some are in multiple european countries , the core developers are french and with it being a multinational project ... i be surprised if this lands in 2020 .. even the next gen consoles could get delayed as a result ..i’m saying mid 2021 

I have a question , i’m new to flight sims and mfs has got me interested .. 

i’m looking at getting xplane 11 . Can anyone help me in the fact that is the whole world included , the immense of scale ? Detail ? I know it won’t be as good as mfs .. i just want to practise and get used to the feel of a flight sim ... many thanks to who replies . 

11 minutes ago, Azzles86 said:

I have a question , i’m new to flight sims and mfs has got me interested .. 

i’m looking at getting xplane 11 . Can anyone help me in the fact that is the whole world included , the immense of scale ? Detail ? I know it won’t be as good as mfs .. i just want to practise and get used to the feel of a flight sim ... many thanks to who replies . 

They have the whole world in 1:1. You can download the demo for free. It allows you to fly in the Seattle area for a limited time.

On 3/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, GlideBy said:

The Alpha testing is not to appease people, it is for testing.  At this point, most people that have signed up have not been invited.  They have over 5,000 people doing testing.  That is a huge testing group, and a lot to manage.  Even so, they plan to add more, there should be an update today.

I don't understand why you think there will be a delay just because you haven't been invited.

They should have no problem only another over 35,000 testers to be added before release, piece of cake.

Reading between the line Reddit users are well represented.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg