Sign in to follow this  
FSX meistro

PC Build for next gen flight sims

Hi all,

Just wanted opinions on what could be a potential PC build and how it could cope with MSFS2020, XP11 or P3Dv5.

Thanks

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K CPU, 8 Cores / 8 Threads, 3.6 - 4.9GHz 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card 

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 (2018) CPU Cooler 

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste 

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING Motherboard 

Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks) 

OS Drive: 1TB Samsung 860 QVO Solid State Drive 

Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB BarraCuda 7200RPM Hard Disk

It will do very well WITH XP11 that I can tell you.  Nobody knows about the other Sims.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If your main aim is FS2020, I'd be waiting until it comes out.  It's highly possible, as it is also being released on xbox and the nex xbox being basically a downclocked Ryzen 3700x and a Radeon Graphics card, it is highly possible that Intel may lose it's crown with it, as could well be highly optimised for AMD stuff, and cores may be king rather than clockspeed.

Edited by Charlatan

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

3 hours ago, Charlatan said:

If your main aim is FS2020, I'd be waiting until it comes out.  It's highly possible, as it is also being released on xbox and the nex xbox being basically a downclocked Ryzen 3700x and a Radeon Graphics card, it is highly possible that Intel may lose it's crown with it, as could well be highly optimised for AMD stuff, and cores may be king rather than clockspeed.

The AMD tech that the new consoles are built on are not available to the desktop PC today demos have just been released and full specs.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

18 hours ago, FSX meistro said:

Hi all,

Just wanted opinions on what could be a potential PC build and how it could cope with MSFS2020, XP11 or P3Dv5.

Thanks

Personally I'd wait until the Intel 10900K and the nVidia 3080 hit the streets, be thoroughly tested, and benchmarked. If you are going to build a future proof system no reason to use last years technology.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 3/17/2020 at 6:13 AM, KenG said:

Personally I'd wait until the Intel 10900K and the nVidia 3080 hit the streets, be thoroughly tested, and benchmarked. If you are going to build a future proof system no reason to use last years technology.

This is my plan.  Just hoping that the pandemic won't too badly push out the release dates of the intel 10 series and its mobos.  Already got some of my build's parts in hand.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

On 3/17/2020 at 5:08 AM, Charlatan said:

I'm wondering that as well.  I generally have Intel's with the belief that speed is more important than cores.  But, that may not be the case now because of the X-Box factor.  I want to wait until the sim is actually out and the nVidia 3080 is available as well.

• Like 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

On 3/17/2020 at 1:13 PM, KenG said:

Although I see the logic in this, I want to say that if someone is on lockdown right now and spending a lot of time at home, I wouldn't wait and just buy a system NOW while they will take full advantage of it.

Until the next gen CPU/GPU are both released, known, benchmarked etc... It could be months. Are you willing to wait, say 6 months, or would you rather have a PC now while sitting at home? I chose the latter but that's just my opinion and I understand that many will disagree.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

2 hours ago, Alpha Floor said:

Although I see the logic in this, I want to say that if someone is on lockdown right now and spending a lot of time at home, I wouldn't wait and just buy a system NOW while they will take full advantage of it.

Until the next gen CPU/GPU are both released, known, benchmarked etc... It could be months. Are you willing to wait, say 6 months, or would you rather have a PC now while sitting at home? I chose the latter but that's just my opinion and I understand that many will disagree.

Did you not look at his specs? The guy is already sitting on a i7 9700k and a 2070 Super so it is not like he is hurting for fps today. Plenty for XP11 and P3Dv5.

In his case I still support waiting, even if it is just one more month to let the 10900K price settle and for AMD to possibly release the 3900XT. 

Edited by KenG

2 hours ago, KenG said:

Did you not look at his specs?

Yes, well, with that PC I wouldn't consider upgrading at all. I meant it only as a general comment. 😉

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I assumed that the specification that the OP listed is the PC that he is intending to buy, not the system that he has at the moment!

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png