Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

I have been simming for roughly over 7 years now using FSX, X-Plane, Prepar3D, DCS World and Aerofly FS. My main one was P3D then I switched to X-Plane 11. Ever since the news came out for MSFS2020 I became extremely excited and plan on deleting P3D and X-Plane all together to free up space on my HD for MS's upcoming FS. I'm curious if any of you guys will be doing the same? It would be nice to have a flight sim with much of the stuff built right into the core itself such as weather, airports, etc. This sounds like a dream come true. I have spent thousands of dollars during my time to buy so many add-ons for FSX, X-Plane and P3D and kind of regret wasting so much money. But I am happy to see with MSFS2020, it seems 3rd party add-ons will be on minimal. The only thing I would really invest on is probably 3rd party planes. 

I know some of you will say, why not keep P3D and X-Plane and enjoy them all. The problem with that is, I would end up spending too much money for add-ons for all those separate platforms. I rather have one sim that does it all, or at least come close to it.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Same, I already uninstalled all other flight sims. Didn't spend very much on add-ons, so i'm not losing very much. Just can't wait to fill the empty void in my heart with MSFS2020.

• Like 4

Not me. I'm more into procedures and flight dynamics than eye candy...........

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

In approximately five years' time when it has enough detailed add-ons to match what FSX and P3D can do, then I might delete all my stuff for those, and go with the new sim (which actually won't be new at all by that point will it?) but until then, it'll be nice to have a flashy new sim. However, if you think it will match your souped-up P3D in every respect on day one of its release, then all I can say is you are in for a big disappointment, albeit a nice looking one.

Everyone is in the honeymoon period and getting all doe eyed over the new sim at the moment, and I agree it looks and sounds like it'll be good, but I've been around for enough new FS releases over the years to know that they'll be on here after a few weeks complaining about stuff.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

31 minutes ago, Chock said:

. However, if you think it will match your souped-up P3D in every respect on day one of its release, then all I can say is you are in for a big disappointment, albeit a nice looking one.

How do you know that? Already I'll take a alpha version over a 'souped up' FSX/P3D mish mash any day of the week. 

We still have some months of show and tell to make us forget all the rest. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

Not me. I'm more into procedures and flight dynamics than eye candy...........

Maybe we’ll get three: procedures, flight dynamics and eye candy all in one package, possibly with the added bonus of better performance?

• Like 20
  • Upvote 3

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I will do for sure. Those days I came back to XP. And I can stand IFR yet, but VFR is sooooo ugly and boring, even with orthos. I can’t enjoy what I’m watching when UK looks the same than Norway and Norway looks the same than Spain. 

And then is the clouds thing, no AI, no ATC, poor performance, etc. So if I can have most of this without addons... why I’m going to come back to XP... 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

How do you know that? 

Well, let's see... I'm fairly sure that upon release, it won't work with Air Hauler, won't work with MCE, won't work with any helicopters at all since there aren't any as far as I'm aware, won't work with most, if not all of the very complex airliners which have been made for P3D or FSX, or any A2A vintage stuff, won't have any classic airliners at all, won't have any of Lorby's cool stuff for it, and so on, etc.

Now I daresay some of this will come, but the OP's point was 'with MSFS2020, it seems 3rd party add-ons will be on minimal', and he's right, they will on the day it gets released and we'll be in for a tidy wait before that kind of stuff shows up too, so it's a bit previous to be thinking about deleting all of those add-ons for other sims which will have that stuff then and in fact have it right now.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I used to play fsx and fs2009 but I stopped playing years ago. I was looking into a new PC to play the new sim but it doesn't look like it will be released this year based on what's going on in the world now, specially in France. Let's hope this will pass soon and everyone recovers.

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

Just now, Doug47 said:

How do you know that? Already I'll take a alpha version over a 'souped up' FSX/P3D mish mash any day of the week. 

Not me!  I'll be running both MSFS and P3D concurrently for quite a while.   I can't speak for Alan, but as for me, unless MSFS ships with a DC-10, an ATC capability like P2ATC, a cam capability like CP, rollout sounds like SimSounds, etc. etc. etc. then no, I won't be ditching P3D right off.  And I don't mean just one of those things - perhaps MSFS cam system will be as good as CP, well, good for it!  But it won't have my DC-10 or my Falcon or my AS355, will it.  It would need all of them, including the etc. etc. that I didn't detail.  🙂   That day will come, but it won't be immediately, so no, I'm keeping my souped up P3D thank you.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

I have been simming for roughly over 7 years now using FSX, X-Plane, Prepar3D, DCS World and Aerofly FS. My main one was P3D then I switched to X-Plane 11. Ever since the news came out for MSFS2020 I became extremely excited and plan on deleting P3D and X-Plane all together to free up space on my HD for MS's upcoming FS. I'm curious if any of you guys will be doing the same? It would be nice to have a flight sim with much of the stuff built right into the core itself such as weather, airports, etc. This sounds like a dream come true. I have spent thousands of dollars during my time to buy so many add-ons for FSX, X-Plane and P3D and kind of regret wasting so much money. But I am happy to see with MSFS2020, it seems 3rd party add-ons will be on minimal. The only thing I would really invest on is probably 3rd party planes. 

I know some of you will say, why not keep P3D and X-Plane and enjoy them all. The problem with that is, I would end up spending too much money for add-ons for all those separate platforms. I rather have one sim that does it all, or at least come close to it.

It's quite easy: simply drop Aerofly FS 2. It has been with no significant progress during the last two years. Stay with one of the other big two: P3D or X-Plane, then add MSFS2020 when it's released.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I have loads of hard drive and ssd  space...plenty of room for a new sim..

• Like 1

I don't know what I'm going to do until I have the new sim in my hands.

Hook

• Like 4

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Hello all,

My guess is 32 ... I won't be one of them.

A guess is the best estimate as we have no real idea, (apart from Alpha testers) what the final release offer is going to be like. And, as ED Patino says:- 

"Stay with one of the other big two: P3D or X-Plane, then add MSFS2020 when it's released." with the added proviso ... If it comes up to your expections.

This is a bit like predicting who is going to get mumps in 2035 and expecting it to be accurate.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.