Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

Just now, tonywob said:

On my Apple computer that I use 90% of the time, no, because I can't install it on these and likely never will be able to. I have XP11 and AF2 running nicely on Mac OS.

On Windows I have installed the alpha, as well as P3D, XP, DCS, AF2, FSW and lots of other games. I have no sudden urge to delete all my other sims, and they can all co-exist together in peaceful harmony 🙂

You are a developer so you may feel the need for several sims at once. As a simmer, one is enough for me. Mastering all the idiosyncrasies, the tweaks etc.  of every sim is not for me. I'd rather learn all the intricacies of one sim, accept the imperfections and fly. I ditched FS95 for FU and Fly!, ditched Flly! and FU for FS2k2, ditched FSX for P3D. I was never interested by XP (yes I tried it). I am not interested in flight simulators but in flight simming.

4 minutes ago, yidahoo said:

I wonder how long the MSFS honeymoon period will be. I suspect the nitpicking will start within a month  

At the moment, we are being spoon feed the Microsoft Hype Syrup

The nitpicking will start within the  hour of release. Always been like that. Now about the syrup. MS since the release of the alpha testers screenshots, has shown that the new sim does incorporate great innovations which will make it a new generation of sim but also that  it is not perfect as it is now. The flaw or supposed flaws have been discussed at length on this forum. To know whether these flaws will corrected is anybody's guess. I think they will but… So if you are blinded by the hype thats maybe you don't want to see 😉.

To answer the OP,  which one will it be next year ? I don't know but all the odds are in favor of FS20.  But there is a known unknown, v5  : features and ability to run on medium range machines, price.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I use Aerofly FS2 a lot because of the excellent performance for VR, even with a 4k headset. It can sustain 90 fps+ in heavy scenery and complex airports. Yes, it's lacking several things, but VR performance is my top priority.

It remains to be seen whether MSFS will ever perform as well as Aerofly for VR. I note that people who have overstepped the NDA don't talk of 90 - 120 fps level performance that VR needs.

Plus, I'd hate to see the flight sim space become a monopoly. So yes, I intend to keep using Aerofly and keep supporting smaller developers.

• Upvote 1

Will probably finally ditch FSX. Haven't used it much at all in recent years and it is heavily bloated on my Windows drive.

Will keep P3Dv4 alongside. It's on a dedicated drive and is a comparatively light install anyway.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Just now, nickhod said:

, I'd hate to see the flight sim space become a monopoly.  

That wouldn't be a good thing at all and I do not understand people rejoicing that P3D or XP or AF2 or the addons cottage industry are supposed to be dead. On the other hand, nobody prevents Lockheed Martin, Laminar etc to bring us competitive or even better than FS20 products. Buying subpar stuff just to counter a MS monopoly is a dubious proposition 😉.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I can't tell you.  I'm far too busy working out what the next 6 weeks lottery numbers are.

• Like 1

ngxu_banner.png

I don't know yet. I'm very happy with the way my XP looks, performs and flys at this time, so I will run both and see how it goes. To be honest though I have a strong feeling XP won't get much use when MSFS arrives, but that is only based on what we've seen, with no hands on experience. I ran P3D in tandem with XP for years and it was only Orbx TE that made P3D personally redundant; the only thing I missed was P3D's weather depiction. I wonder what aspect of XP would keep me on that platform over MSFS :unsure:

9 hours ago, edpatino said:

It's quite easy: simply drop Aerofly FS 2. It has been with no significant progress during the last two years. Stay with one of the other big two: P3D or X-Plane, then add MSFS2020 when it's released.

Cheers, Ed

While I agree, development of AeroflyFS2 was slow, and certainly too slow, for the last couple of years, I wouldn't say development of the core Prepar3d and XP sims was that speedy either. It's been the addons making their success.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Flight simming has always been twofold for me. I take procedures, flight dynamics and aircraft with sufficient systems depth seriously, but I also like to have a realistic environment around me and that includes eye candy, too. It seems that MSFS will actually deliver both sides and that's why I'm looking forward to this a lot. Current sims seem to deliver only one of the two sides or at least leave a lot to be desired on one side more than the other. I'll still be flying P3D though until I get access to MSFS in whatever way and can see for myself.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

13 hours ago, captain420 said:

I have been simming for roughly over 7 years now using FSX, X-Plane, Prepar3D, DCS World and Aerofly FS. My main one was P3D then I switched to X-Plane 11. Ever since the news came out for MSFS2020 I became extremely excited and plan on deleting P3D and X-Plane all together to free up space on my HD for MS's upcoming FS. I'm curious if any of you guys will be doing the same? It would be nice to have a flight sim with much of the stuff built right into the core itself such as weather, airports, etc. This sounds like a dream come true. I have spent thousands of dollars during my time to buy so many add-ons for FSX, X-Plane and P3D and kind of regret wasting so much money. But I am happy to see with MSFS2020, it seems 3rd party add-ons will be on minimal. The only thing I would really invest on is probably 3rd party planes. 

In reading your resume over your 7 years of flight simming I have no doubt you'll immediately buy FS202? and be quite happy with it until anything else comes along.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

12 hours ago, Chock said:

I've been around for enough new FS releases over the years to know

This could be the very definition of "availability bias".

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, yidahoo said:

we are being spoon feed the Microsoft Hype Syrup

I have not seen anyone from MS in all of the videos shown by Asobo. Come one "Microsoft Hype Syrup", really???? Are you saying all the videos made by Asobo and the info posted by MS with the intention of keeping us all in the loop regarding development stages is all just "Hype Syrup" as you call it? 

That is just rude and in some way insulting too.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 4

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

MSFS2020 would have to be a very compelling product to get my support. To me it is fundamentally flawed and always be so as it requires MS Windows to run.

Having 2 flightsim computers running X-Plane side by side with Win 10 vs Linux Mint 19, Linux wins hands down on performance and reliability. The only non cross platform software I am using in ALL my computing is Reality-XP GTN750. Depending on the outcome of X-Plane 11.50 Vulkan graphics even that will probably go. So all 4 devices I use frequently PC's Media server and laptop will be Linux.

Flightsim 1 WIN 10 Intel 9700K @ 5.0 32gb DDR4 3200 NVME m.2 PCIE for System NVME m.2 PCIE for Program, ROG Strix GTX1080 8gb, ROG Strix Mobo Flightsim scenery WD Black 2tb

Flightsim 2 Mint 19.2 Intel 2700K @4.2 16gb DDR3 1866 SSD for System WD Blue 2tb for Program & Scenery EVGA GTX 970 4gb

Apart from the 10 year age difference, running Orbx TrueEarth Washington/Oregon in SD and the standard field of view (70 degrees whereas FS 1 uses 85 and TrueEarth HD) the results are pretty much the same. That is how much bloated Win 10 is and why I wont use it. Therefore, for me, MSFS202 is probably a non starter.

Gordon

Edited by hovercrafter

6 hours ago, FDEdev said:

R U living under a rock?

Do you have a complex that makes you feel you are entitled to speak to others using such a disrespectful tone?

I also wondered if you were violating the NDA by saying you were a tester.  If you are allowed to say so, that's all you needed to respond with.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I packed in simming a year ago and thought I wouldn‘t touch any sim until MSFS is released but now with that lockdown and all I‘m seriously considering reinstalling X-Plane.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2