Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

I am using the alpha and x-plane after dumping p3d a year ago,I find myself still using x-plane more because I prefer heavy aircrafts.msfs has great eye candy,but I honestly see myself staying with x-plane long after msfs is released.i will be months or years before we have heavy aircraft that x-plane already has.thats my opinion.

On 3/17/2020 at 12:41 AM, captain420 said:

I have been simming for roughly over 7 years now using FSX, X-Plane, Prepar3D, DCS World and Aerofly FS. My main one was P3D then I switched to X-Plane 11. Ever since the news came out for MSFS2020 I became extremely excited and plan on deleting P3D and X-Plane all together to free up space on my HD for MS's upcoming FS. I'm curious if any of you guys will be doing the same? It would be nice to have a flight sim with much of the stuff built right into the core itself such as weather, airports, etc. This sounds like a dream come true. I have spent thousands of dollars during my time to buy so many add-ons for FSX, X-Plane and P3D and kind of regret wasting so much money. But I am happy to see with MSFS2020, it seems 3rd party add-ons will be on minimal. The only thing I would really invest on is probably 3rd party planes. 

I know some of you will say, why not keep P3D and X-Plane and enjoy them all. The problem with that is, I would end up spending too much money for add-ons for all those separate platforms. I rather have one sim that does it all, or at least come close to it.

Hi,

I uninstalled FSX acc. from a long time and i keep using P3D 4.5 but i don't buy addon anymore in waiting for MSFS2020.

• Like 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700F - RAM 32 - RTX 3070 - SSD Blue 1T -  Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Track IR - Optical fiber

2 hours ago, Patriot3810 said:

I am using the alpha and x-plane after dumping p3d a year ago,I find myself still using x-plane more because I prefer heavy aircrafts.msfs has great eye candy,but I honestly see myself staying with x-plane long after msfs is released.i will be months or years before we have heavy aircraft that x-plane already has.thats my opinion.

I think it might not be that long. After all, you can count the high quality airliners in XP on one hand: Toliss 319/321 - FFA320 - Zibo 737 - done

The rest is decent but not really high quality.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I’m still with FSX:SE because it lets me sim at the level I want with aircraft I’ve invested time and money in - and which I enjoy!

I’m really interested in MSFS and, depending on purchase price, would buy it but I won’t be giving up FSX:SE.

FSX is like a favourite jumper: it may not look its best anymore but it’s really comfortable and familiar and I like it. 😉

• Like 4

Best regards

Rupert

9 hours ago, MajorSargent said:

Any information on how to take part in the alpha testing? I have registered on MSFS website, but is there anything else that would help?

There are times (usually for a week) where you can apply for alpha testing. You should have a corresponding entry in your Insider Hub of the MSFS website during these terms.

As far as I read, another round of applications started a couple of days ago. From the MSFS website:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALPHA INVITATIONS

For those of you that have not yet registered for pre-release build testing or that have registered but would like to update your DXDIAG information, we will be opening registration on March 16th.

On March 19th, we will provide an update on our invitation timeline.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll have to fill in an application/questionnaire and sumit your Dxdiag file.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I have been simming for more than 35 years, and I fly them all. FS2020 will replace FSX and P3D on my system, but X-Plane, DCS, IL-2, BMS, Strike Fighters etc will remain. Outside of streaming scenery in real time and pretty atmospheric shaders, there isn't much that FS2020 is doing that others have not done.

There is a lot to look forward to in FS2020, don't get me wrong, but those who think it will be the "be all end all" sim may need to manage their expectations.

I am in a situation where FS Labs will decide what my next simulator will be. Concorde development is 'paused' until such time as they have enough info to decide which platform they will use for the 64-bit Concorde.

So if they decide MFS that's what I will buy. But if they decide P3D v5 is their preferred platform then I will stay with L-M.

Worst case scenario? They decide not to produce a 64-bit. In that case I'll keep P3D v3.4 running despite its low res (1920*1080) and having to keep my settings well down to prevent running out of VAS. Quite a penalty with a powerful machine.

But flying Concorde is like nothing else as those who fly her will testify. But I'm reasonably hopeful there will be a 64-bit version and I think they'll go with MFS.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Seems WASM is aimed squarely at OSX and other OS flavors, so I would expect you to see MFS on Apple devices.

Please stop posting misinformation about the use of WebAssembly. MS have said it's to port legacy native code, there is no reason not to take what they said at face value.

MSFS is a Direct X 11 game. Asobo said so in several interviews. Porting to Vulkan / Apple would be a massive task, and one I can't understand why MS would bother to undertake given the market share amongst simmers and gamers.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Daikan said:

Unless MSFS2020 delivers similar or better flight dynamics realism than X-Plane, add efficient VR support without the need for stupid touch controllers and provide a reasonable level of openness allowing users and third parties to create and tweak the most important aspects of the sim (including aircraft, scenery and terrain mesh) I will be rather hard-pressed in letting it waste any amount of storage on my local disk.

I use mostly military birds. What will Ms have for that? 

I'm really excited about MSFS2020 but  kinda of disappointed that it might not support VR, which I can understand ... I hope that it will eventually support it, but not going to hold out hope for it. That's why I'm likely to keep using X-plane for the foreseeable future.

I ditched it some years ago. Got boring.

But will be diving into the new sim with great enthusiasm.

We have to, it appears to be what simmers have always wanted.

But quite frankly, I'm baffled why anyone would be "ditching" a sim they like and have invested money in, when they can keep both the old and new on their systems. It's not compulsory to uninstall your old sim when you buy the new one guys. 🙂 Have both on your systems. USE BOTH!

Edited by martin-w

35 minutes ago, carrotroot said:

I'm really excited about MSFS2020 but  kinda of disappointed that it might not support VR, which I can understand ... I hope that it will eventually support it, but not going to hold out hope for it. That's why I'm likely to keep using X-plane for the foreseeable future.

It WILL support VR. But they cant promise for release. Same for choppers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, eslader said:

Honestly, at this point I'll probably spend a lot more time there than P3d. I'd be surprised if the PMDG/Leonardo/etc stuff gets ported over all that quickly, so I'll still have a reason to fly P3d but...  Well, after yet another mysterious CTD tonight right as I intercepted the glideslope after a 5 hour flight in the 747, if 2020 is stable, they're about 80% of the way there toward making me dump P3d entirely..

I can relate. I'm conservative in what addons and how many I use and I try to keep things as clean as possible, but I still run into all kinds of nuisance. Spend significant time before even launching the sim to start and configure addons only to find I have to restart the sim because something isn't working or I forgot to do something that I can't do while the sim is running. When I finally seem to be ready to get in on the flying part it's another addon which, for whatever reason, isn't working and I have to close the sim again and reinstall said addon. Recently, all I wanted to do was a flight in VR and it took me three attempts to finally finish the flight without CTDs or other issues. It's mind boggling how many problems I have with P3D and all the addons while every other game I have on my PC is working just fine.

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 3/17/2020 at 8:42 AM, yidahoo said:

At the moment, we are being spoon feed the Microsoft Hype Syrup. 

You could well be right... but given the amount of technical detail MS/Asobo have released, I'm thinking this may well be a different scenario. 

The attitude of the developer is different to what we have witnessed in the past. The philosophy is now, clearly, work with developers, work with the community, listen to what the community want and do what can be done to implement it. 

Given this dramatic change in philosophy, I feel confident we will be happy with the new sim. And besides, if they were lying to us, feeding us hype syrup as you say... then a multitude of alpha testers would be dropping it faster than a snotty tissue full of Covid-19.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Done. Now a distant memory. And given what the MS team is stating about the developers on board we can all see where this is heading. Lots of drive space now. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb