Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

I've already stopped spending money on P3D and I will be switching all of my flight sim expenditures to MFS when it is released.  I've made the decision to move on to the next generation.

That said, I will not be uninstalling my P3D anytime soon, certainly not until I have MFS installed and see how extensive it is.  I might very well be flying both sims for a long time, but I will definitely not be spending any more money on P3D.  I'm ready to move on.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

It's mind boggling how many problems I have with P3D and all the addons while every other game I have on my PC is working just fine.

I mean, I have trouble getting too mad. The base code for FSX was really meant to run a sim that didn't involve long-haul flights with insanely complex addons. The default 747 was pretty bad at navigation from an FMS standpoint. Probably 90% of FSX owners back in the day didn't do much more with it than take off, attempt and fail to land on the runway because they flew the pattern like they were in a Cessna, and then try to land it on an aircraft carrier. 😉

So I acknowledge that I'm pushing this sim way beyond what it was meant to do, but at the same time that means I'm ready to dump it as soon as a good replacement comes along.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I will probably get the new sim but so far I am loving my xp sim. Sure I paid for a few addons but it's amazing. The only thing that I am missing sre volumetric clouds but apparently one of the addons I already own (ultra weather xp) will have those in a future update. Doesn't matter. Ortho imagery and several addons and looks pretty realistic. 

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

Not sure why ANYONE would switch from genuine, 100% simulators to a game? 

13 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

Not sure why ANYONE would switch from genuine, 100% simulators to a game? 

You have a Level D sim at home!? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eslader said:

So I acknowledge that I'm pushing this sim way beyond what it was meant to do, but at the same time that means I'm ready to dump it as soon as a good replacement comes along.

I would say the sim itself wasn't quite spot on though, given how terribly it ran on contemporary systems when it was released and a subsequent service pack was needed to iron things out for the most part. Then it was also developed with one core, high GHz processors in mind that never became reality. I would say there was certainly room for something better and LM are still limited in what they can do to make P3D a better FSX.

But you are right, it's not exactly surprising that tons of addons will undermine the overall stability of the system and have an impact on performance. The time spent, the money and the struggles that come with a decent P3D and, though probably to a lesser extent, XP experience are exactly the reason why it's time to move on and finally have a sim that fulfills expectations of a good base sim to limit the amount of addons needed to make up for base sim flaws.

As much as I still like P3D, it's been 14 years, we need something new. The magnitude of swearing that's flying through the room whenever I prepare a sim session has been on an exponential increase lately...

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

26 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

You're making an assumption of a 64bit SDK in MFS ...  never make assumptions 😉

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, I'm confused. If it's a 64-bit sim why would the SDK not be 64-bit??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

if it will give me helicopters the quality of X-plane on release  i will ditch X-plane right now.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Currently, sticking with P3D as I don't see any realistic release in 2020 of MFS due to the current world situation.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

No doubt this new SIM will be revolutionary however be prepared to pay for all the eye candy you have seen in the videos. It's not going to be a simple issue of buying a copy and expect to have every thing available. 

Will see said the blind man.

Spent too much of my pension on upgrading to run P3D and on P3D itself. So, highly unlikely that I will change, unless my daughter can get a good staff discount!

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

4 hours ago, swiesma said:

You have a Level D sim at home!? 

I should've have worded it like this Not sure why ANYONE would switch from genuine, 100% simulators played on a laptop or desktop PC, to a game? 

1 hour ago, Doug47 said:

I should've have worded it like this Not sure why ANYONE would switch from genuine, 100% simulators played on a laptop or desktop PC, to a game? 

So, just to be clear, you are stating that the new MFS is a game and not a serious flight simulator?

Because from what we've seen of the sim so far and from what MS and Asobo have stated, it sure does sound like a serious flight simulator?  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mengy said:

So, just to be clear, you are stating that the new MFS is a game and not a serious flight simulator?

Because from what we've seen of the sim so far and from what MS and Asobo have stated, it sure does sound like a serious flight simulator?  

Not to be picky but MS itself calls it a game - read the NDA - https://www.flightsimulator.com/guidelines-nda/

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It's a game, we are all gamers, that's it. MSFS is a plane simulation game, a first person shooter is a combat simulation game etc etc.

If you want a flight simulator, they are a few thousand dollars for a decent length flight for non pilots. They are run by the airlines.

• Like 5

Mark Daniels