Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

18 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Not to be picky but MS itself calls it a game - read the NDA - https://www.flightsimulator.com/guidelines-nda/

Vic

But stated in the 1st announcement on the official site:

"1. We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR."😀

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 minute ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

True. These developers said the same thing. Maybe I should get it???

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/

• Like 2

Mark Daniels

5 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

You're making an assumption of a 64bit SDK in MFS ...  never make assumptions 😉

Cheers, Rob.

@Rob_Ainscough, you drop a grenade into the discussion and then withdraw. Please explain what you mean by your comment.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Game is defined as "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement" by Merriam-Webster dictionary and as "an entertaining activity" by Cambridge dictionary. 

And Techopedia defines computer simulation as  "A computer simulation is the usage of a computer for the imitation of a real-world process or system. The dynamic responses of one system are represented by the behavior of another system, which is largely modeled on the former. A simulation requires a model, or a mathematical description of the real system. This is in the form of computer programs, which encompass the key characteristics or behaviors of the selected system. Here, the model is basically a representation of the system and the simulation process is known to depict the operation of the system in time."

16 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

Game is defined as "activity engaged in for diversion or amusement" by Merriam-Webster dictionary and as "an entertaining activity" by Cambridge dictionary. 

And Techopedia defines computer simulation as  "A computer simulation is the usage of a computer for the imitation of a real-world process or system. The dynamic responses of one system are represented by the behavior of another system, which is largely modeled on the former. A simulation requires a model, or a mathematical description of the real system. This is in the form of computer programs, which encompass the key characteristics or behaviors of the selected system. Here, the model is basically a representation of the system and the simulation process is known to depict the operation of the system in time."

That's right. Colonel Sanders simulation is finger licking good and you don't even have to pay for it! You get it for nothing! I'm married so I'll have to just stick with flight simming. 

Mark Daniels

There is no 'eye candy' in MSFS. It is a simulator. By definition, 'eye candy' is something that is not required.

Whoever disagrees can go back to wireframe graphics.

• Like 2

Far too early to say. Even once the new sim is released it will need time to mature.

Beyond that, I've invested a lot of resources into P3D and intend to get a return on that. Not exactly sure what that point looks like right now, but I know I'm not there yet and probably won't be this year. MSFS will need to offer some pretty strong incentives to warrant a complete ditch.

-Bob

SimPC: i7 8086k @5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, RTX 2080ti, Windows 10 Pro - P3D v5.1

On 3/17/2020 at 11:00 PM, leinsters said:

Since installing my MSFS Alpha I've deleted it and gone back to DCS. 

I hope you have already opted out of the alpha to give other users the chance to join.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Thank you Michael to remind us of that. 

The simming  community has had this absurd discussion for years, haven’t we ? 

Absurd if not here inspired by spite. 

Flight simming is a game, always has been. It is a « serious » game but a game anyway except, of course, for the rare simmers who use it to rehearse procedures for their real flying . 

Flightsimming is a wonderful pastime. A game.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I should've have worded it like this Not sure why ANYONE would switch from genuine, 100% simulators played on a laptop or desktop PC, to a game? 

You dont calculate flight dynamics from 1000 different points on the airframe, compared with ONE in the previous sim, if it's JUST a game and less of a simulator than previous titles. 

Playing silly devils with semantics and definitions of words like game and simulator is pointless. All such titles can be defined as both. But it's quite obvious from all of the information released, that the "simulation" aspect of FS2020 is enhanced compared with previous titles. 

So to state in a derogatory fashion that the new sim is just a game is contrary to all of the information we have so far, the words of the developer, the videos we have seen regarding weather generation, scenery generation, advanced flight dynamics and thus, plain old common sense.

Some people just like to throw a cat amongst the pigeons for attention seeking.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Whether people see it as a game or as a simulator is irrelevant. Read the title of this topic and stick to it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

31 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Whether people see it as a game or as a simulator is irrelevant. Read the title of this topic and stick to it.

My dear Ray, I agree with you that it is irrelevant and absurd if not , in this case, malicious. Now who did raise the issue ? For what purpose ?  

Yes, also, don't tell us what we should write or not. TYVM.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

@domkle I'm confused. You say you agree with me and in the next sentence tell me I shouldn't tell you what to write. So which camp are you in? Keeping topics relevant to the title or allowing a free for all? I'm just trying to help the mods.

This debate about a game or a sim has gone on for ages. It doesn't need starting again. And I haven't a clue what TYVM means. Please write these things in full.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

TYVM

Thank you very much, I believe Mr Proudfoot

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

3 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

Thank you very much, I believe Mr Proudfoot

First time I've seen that abbreviated. Thanks usually suffices. Thanks Brandon.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather