Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

And again, until now, there is no FDE editor AFAIK

😪

"In the next Alpha update, you can expect improvements for existing tools, a new in-game aircraft editor will allow configuration tuning for aircraft parameters including the flight model with onscreen debug support."

Latest word is that the new editor is almost complete. 

As for "making the task easier" The entire purpose of such an entity is to make the task easier. 

And please try not to be rude. Its not necessary. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

To make use of the greater opportunity/capabilities you need the ability to use it. I don't know what your flightsim experience has to do with this. How many FDEs have you designed if I may ask?

At 62, and having been involved in flight sim for a very long time, my experience has  a lot to do with it. A lot to do with it in the context of the original discussion. And that discussion centred around a different users notion that third party aircraft will be inferior compared with the stock aircraft that come with the new sim. Well, anybody who has been around flight sim for a reasonable length of time and seen just how dedicated third party developers, like PMDG are for example, will be absolutely aware that those third party developers will do exactly as they have before. Namely spend a considerable amount of time and effort making full use on the new sims capabilities. Hence, and in context with the original premise, I have no idea why the original poster would be of that opinion. Furthermore... MS/Asobo are not idiots. Thus, they will absolutely make third party developers lives as easy as they can, hence the new editor. They absolutely will not do the opposite. Hence why numerous developers now have access to the SDK (50 according to the latest) and are working in conjunction with the developer in this respect. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Whether people see it as a game or as a simulator is irrelevant. Read the title of this topic and stick to it.

On the topic, I'm planning on staying with FS9!

A computer game will never replicate a flight simulator realistically. If this was the case, as those who claim FS is not a game, the airlines would be training their pilots using FSX or P3D. Why are they wasting all that extra money? Silly airlines!

We can push buttons and perform sequences as they are closely enough in FS but most things in the game have limitations to representing the real world.

FS9 allows me to push buttons and follow sequences and do all the things well enough for fun.

To spend thousands of dollars to still play nothing more than a game that will without doubt come with masses of restrictions to the real world, no thanks.

I don't even like photo anything in games and that is all the new game is. It is always dead obvious you are looking at a photo. And no, I'm not basing this comment on old and past FS photo scenery, I'm basing it on modern game attempts using these techniques.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

12 hours ago, martin-w said:

No, it wont. The developers have confirmed that you will be able to buy the sim in the conventional way and have the full experience. 

OK, thanks for clarifying. You might have added a link for people interested to know it for sure. When I was deciding, I didn't see any traces about such decision and confirmation.

Not true. If anything, third party aircraft will be even better. The flight dynamics in the new sim are an order of magnitude better than we have seen before. And third party developers have already had access to the SDK and are working closely with Asobo. In fact the new sim includes a flight dynamics editor, to make the simulation of flight dynamics an easier task than ever.

Plus of course third party developers are focused on a single task, namely one aircraft. Rather than an entire simulator.

I've no idea why you have come to the conclusion that third party aircraft will be inferior. It obviously wont be the case.

Oh, I'm not worried about the top notch payware, I had in mind those tons of airplanes that community creates and that are never interesting for the commercial sector. 

I do think too the flight model will improve significantly and actually, it might match the reality pretty close for the default aircrafts and payware (in default configuration and state). Even FSX provided a reasonable level of reality. But I believe it's the same technology, where you define mathematical functions and try to match the reality, but taken to much higher level of detail. I've done such modelling and I know it is very demanding both for engineering skills and coding and that's something not available to individuals. Whereas the simulated environment understands the airflow, so things like relative wind and angle of attack, flaps configuration, gear extraction, etc. have effect on the flight characteristics as a consequence. Obviously, nothing is black or white, the XP approach has it's huge catches too. I.e. when approaching speed of sound, the model has to change dramatically (and AFAIK it does not at the moment).

If I were you I would check out the video Asobo released on this, detailing just how advanced the FDE is compared with the previous sim.

Yep, I follow the series, it is interesting, I don't argue that :-).

P.S. Has anyone noticed how I'm the only one now "on topic". Rather than like everyone else debating the concept of being on or off topic and therefore being responsible for the very thing they are complaining about. 🤔

I think pretty much everyone trying to read the thread noticed we have to dig for the original topic related posts :-).

2 hours ago, Oak said:

OK, thanks for clarifying. You might have added a link for people interested to know it for sure. When I was deciding, I didn't see any traces about such decision and confirmation.

Yes, I might have added a link. But then I don't always have the time to search for information for others.

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, Oak said:

Oh, I'm not worried about the top notch payware, I had in mind those tons of airplanes that community creates and that are never interesting for the commercial sector. 

So you are talking about freeware aircraft developed by the community. You didn't specify that initially.

Well given that there is a new aircraft editor that aids with the creation of flight dynamics, that helps. But to be honest, I have plenty of faith in such individuals, in their dedication and talent, and I see no reason why the aircraft created by those individuals would be any worse than they are now. I think that MS/Asobo will have done a fine job with the SDK and made sure the relevant tools are included to, ate least, not make the prospect harder than it is now. But we shall see.

I think pretty much everyone trying to read the thread noticed we have to dig for the original topic related posts :-).

My point was that they had become part of the problem and committing the same crime they accused others of. Stated in jest of course. Irony!

Edited by martin-w

To answer thread starters question "How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?"

I am.

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

On 3/17/2020 at 3:48 AM, cmpbellsjc said:

Maybe we’ll get three: procedures, flight dynamics and eye candy all in one package, possibly with the added bonus of better performance?

Not the usual MS history of new releases. Plus, are you sure a "not-the-best-computer" can run what you hope for? Not sure.

I'm still using and think that FS9.9 is the overall best flight simulator for Tubes.  There's nobody left on the planet that can't get at least 50 FPS outta her....and some pretty serious 3Prd 'study level' cockpits were put out for her.  So...just the other day, as a COVID shut-in,  I reinstalled all my Bird's Eye View (for FS9) seasons...and took a flight.   No...I'll use all of them, unless truly, this coming flight sim, will be so avaunt guard, and usable on my present gear. If that happens, my Histrionics will dictate what I fly. and/or retire.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:12 PM, suncoastflyer said:

Interesting to hear. Shame it wasn't good enough for your normal flights then, hopefully it's good enough/will eventually be good enough for me.

I fully expect it will be. And i cannot wait.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 10:33 PM, leinsters said:

No. I'm as much a civilian flier as military. MFSF2020 has a long way to go. The alpha comes out, it works, it looks incredible, I comment on the bugs and issues, am pleased I am contributing 25 years of flight sim experience, at a certain point realize it's not ready for primetime and head back to what currently works really really well.

Yeah. I am sure it cannot compete with a sim on the market while still being in Alpha. There must be lots of stuff still missing. And there aren't any third party addons yet.

But I think I would still have a lot of fun with it, since I am more flying for joy at the moment. I just want good flight dynamics and great immersion scenery wise. If MSFS can deliver on that - I'm in.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

On 3/20/2020 at 9:35 AM, Skywatcher said:

On the topic, I'm planning on staying with FS9!

A computer game will never replicate a flight simulator realistically. If this was the case, as those who claim FS is not a game, the airlines would be training their pilots using FSX or P3D. Why are they wasting all that extra money? Silly airlines!

We can push buttons and perform sequences as they are closely enough in FS but most things in the game have limitations to representing the real world.

FS9 allows me to push buttons and follow sequences and do all the things well enough for fun.

To spend thousands of dollars to still play nothing more than a game that will without doubt come with masses of restrictions to the real world, no thanks.

I don't even like photo anything in games and that is all the new game is. It is always dead obvious you are looking at a photo. And no, I'm not basing this comment on old and past FS photo scenery, I'm basing it on modern game attempts using these techniques.

Off topic do you have another flight simmer using your Avtar on other flight sim forums for other sims. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

To answer the original question, I will not be ditching P3dv4 immediately after release of MSFS 2020. I will be an early adopter of the new sim, but I fly airliners almost exclusively, so there will have to be a fair number of high quality airliner add-ons before I would consider such a move. Also, My new PC is awash with storage space.

Regards,

PD

On 3/20/2020 at 4:35 AM, Skywatcher said:

It is so the airlines have complete and total control over what the simulator does.  It's not like they could trust a third party (like PMDG) to get everything exactly the way they want it.  That being said there are real world airline pilots using FSX/P3D to practice procedures, it's just not "official".  

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;