Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

9 minutes ago, LHookins said:

That's because you were directly comparing the two sims.  There are a lot of areas in P3D that don't look very good.  Butt-ugly is the term that comes to mind.  There are a lot of areas that look very good indeed and you might not realize you were in P3D instead of MSFS.

P3D looks better than Vehicle Simulator in any case. 😄

I learned about revisiting lost loves one day when I fired up Chuck Yeager's Air Combat long after I'd moved on.  After flying some years in WarBirds I couldn't believe I'd ever liked the filled polygons of CYAC.

Note:  Still flying P3Dv4.5 with the new A2A P-40, available at no cost these days.  After that experience I suspect WarBirds would look like CYAC. 😄 

Hook

Yes, there are many good places to fly in P3D. Actually I posted several threads in the screenshot forums, not long ago, about nice flying experiences I had. But today, I really had a double shock😂. I’ll wait for FS20 or v5 now, I think. 

I have had the P-40 for years. Flew the old girl a lot. And I mean a lot. Loved it.

Fly her into small strips.  Don’t control-E to start her. The fun is to start with cranking the engine. Only thing, she is very difficult to slow down on final, the FDE is too slippery in my modest opinion, in a low engine regime. It is an old A2A model. A2A has improved its know-how a lot since. After the P40 I went to the Mustang civ. which has a more decent  navigation suite and is great fun too. I mean if you like aircraft which try to kill you 😉.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'm enjoying the P-40 a lot more than I expected.  And you can't beat the price.  If you don't have it for P3Dv4 you might consider picking it up.

It's got a compass and a clock, what more do you need for navigation? 😄 😄 Charts are available via SkyVector.com 

I gave up trying to compare any of the screen shots from MSFS to flying in P3D.  I don't want to give up flying so I gave up studying screen shots.  

My last flight was Cayman to Key West, mostly over ocean and with Active Sky Cloud Art which I think looks better than MSFS but isn't animated like the new sim.  How much different would that flight have been in MSFS?  

I can't stand flying P3D from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, but it was that way before we had cool screen shots to compare.  Photoreal scenery and a good mesh would improve that a lot and there's not much autogen out there anyway.

I have no doubt that when MSFS is released I'll be flying it, assuming I can deal with a 95 gig download.  I just hope they have one or two aircraft that I want to fly.  I already know I like the Icon A5. This was brought home to me today with a vengeance when I was browsing Aerosoft's Carenado sale:  74 aircraft and there is only one I had any interest in, even if they were free.  I already have another, the C337 but I seldom fly it.  Well, I got used to flying the limited aircraft in Microsoft Flight, I'll get used to whatever they provide us in MSFS.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

I can't stand flying P3D from Las Vegas to Los Angeles,  

I have no doubt that when MSFS is released I'll be flying it, assuming I can deal with a 95 gig download.  I just hope they have one or two aircraft that I want to fly.  I already know I like the Icon A5.  

I did the flight quite often from Twenty Nine Palms  or Agua Dulce Airpark to Las Vegas.  Orbx Socal makes it nice.  There are patches of good PR imagery (except the salt ponds which are awful) and  LC textures. A couple of examples in this thread

About the aircraft, we will see how good they are going to be  but I will certainly long for a taildragger warbird. I got hooked since the day of Rob Young's Spitfire Mk14 in FS9.   

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Speaking without seeing what the new has to offer will be an inaccurate and false statement.

I got FSX (with all the addons I need or want so far) Xplane11 and such.

Still using FSX.

Its the complete experience due to all addons and my system is running it flawless.

FSX itself would've gone by now.  but as mentioned all my addons make it what I enjoy.

Most likely Ill keep it until I see, use and feel FS2020. then use both or one if I feel is there.

Most likely FSX will be in my system as it is on its own drive (I use a different drive with its own OS for each simulator.

I run them clean.

And that's all I have to say about that.

10 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

How do you know it won't have those too?

It probably will, to one degree or another. But it's clear to me that the emphasis is on the eye candy. And there is no way I'll waste my monthly bandwidth allotment on that kind of stuff.....

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

But it's clear to me that the emphasis is on the eye candy.

Have you watched all episodes Asobo has released until now?  If yes, I don't know how you get to this strange conclusion.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, W2DR said:

It probably will, to one degree or another. But it's clear to me that the emphasis is on the eye candy. And there is no way I'll waste my monthly bandwidth allotment on that kind of stuff.....

I think they said you can cache one area and fly it over and over.  Even cache a large area.  Or turn off the internet without caching anything and still see buildings and trees and fly the world.  I would guess they have setup monthly limits as well.

I guess we will know when it launches.

6 hours ago, W2DR said:

But it's clear to me that the emphasis is on the eye candy. 

I’d be interested by your reasoning here because all we know so far through the EP trailers shows the contrary, a strong emphasis on weather and air dynamics and flight modeling.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Dominique

On 3/20/2020 at 1:54 PM, martin-w said:

Yes, I might have added a link. But then I don't always have the time to search for information for others.

Since our discussion, I've also read about that and I'm *think* the subscription WILL be in fact required. It's back to how the Sim should work. In theory, you could run it without subscription, but you wouldn't want hat, because it wouldn't look like the nice screens hots and videos they present. If you wanted ortophoto scenery in ZL18 and fly around a continent, that's high tens or rather hundreds of terabytes. No common computer can store that, so you'll want your subscription to get the data. Now even for large enterprises like Ms, such storage capacity and availability as required comes at high cost (tons of servers, backups, maintenance, etc.). So none of the remote content ex. perhaps some marketing degustation will be for free. I'd expect the prices will be similar to the online HD movie streaming services.

But whatever the final business model is gonna be, it doesn't matter to me :-). I have ZL17, some ZL18 and some ZL16 of the US west coast in XP11 and it looks amazing enough. Who wants FS2020, I wish best of luck and enjoy it! 

14 hours ago, W2DR said:

I had one or two thoughts about that myself.

No home PC sim will ever be able to depict reality perfectly. If they get the physics right, then the flight instruments won't feel like in a real plane, lack of motion, and and and...

Even XP fails to model some things adequately. Forward slipping for example.

So to me, it's mainly about immersion. And in that regard MSFS will be the best compromise by lightyears! I am already hyped just by seeing 3D grass on fields. 😄 It's a subtle thing, but when you see scenes like in the last vid, when that GA plane touches down and its wheels disappear in grass - priceless.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

10 hours ago, domkle said:

I’d be interested by your reasoning here because all we know so far through the EP trailers shows the contrary, a strong emphasis on weather and air dynamics and flight modeling.

I think what keeps the notion of this mainly being a scenery simulator above everything else alive is that you see the visuals in every single trailer, video and screenshot and it basically speaks for itself. Aerodynamics, weather calculations, physics and so on can't be seen and probably get somewhat drowned out by the visuals. The media is by far the most prominent preview of this simulator and comes with the strongest 'wow-effect' and naturally is what sticks to people's minds the most. It's also the first thing that was showcased, way before information about things 'under the hood' became available. First impressions almost always stick for long periods of time.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 hours ago, tweekz said:

No home PC sim will ever be able to depict reality perfectly. If they get the physics right, then the flight instruments won't feel like in a real plane, lack of motion, and and and…

I will not say the contrary but I will not agree either !

This is not a binary proposition,  depict perfectly of the reality of the flight or not.

This is an asymptotic proposition. We know that we will not reach the ultimate reality on a PC  but  I have seen in 40 years that we are getting closer and closer and closer with each generation of sim  It is still far meaning the potential of growth is still important.  I will not see FS2060 but the curve might be pretty close to the asymptote then 😄

16 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I think what keeps the notion of this mainly being a scenery simulator above everything else alive is that you see the visuals in every single trailer, video and screenshot and it basically speaks for itself. Aerodynamics, weather calculations, physics and so on can't be seen and probably get somewhat drowned out by the visuals. The media is by far the most prominent preview of this simulator and comes with the strongest 'wow-effect' and naturally is what sticks to people's minds the most. It's also the first thing that was showcased, way before information about things 'under the hood' became available. First impressions almost always stick for long periods of time.

Totally agree with you. The PR campaign cannot be articulated but on visuals except for the alpha. And the happy few cannot comment. 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

20 hours ago, W2DR said:

Well Asobo has mentioned better aerodynamic modeling (1000 contact points) and improved weather modeling, in addition to the vastly improved scenery, either offline or online.

Taking the scenery improvements or “eye candy” out of the equation, if MSFS ends up being equal to P3D or XP in terms of actual flight physics, procedures, etc, then you might as well stay with your current sim.

If MSFS ends up be greater than P3D or XP in terms of flight physics/aerodynamics, procedures and has the added benefit of more acurate global scenery, either off line or online, then why not take advantage of it, unless money or certain aircraft you like to fly are not available for it?

I don’t think they will make it procedurally, aerodynamically, or meteorologically worse than what’s whats already available, they’ve stated that already. Procedurally will only come down to ATC and aircraft. ATC might be the same or slightly better but it will be up to the aircraft guys like FSL, PMDG, etc to keep the procedures intact.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 hours ago, Oak said:

Since our discussion, I've also read about that and I'm *think* the subscription WILL be in fact required. It's back to how the Sim should work. In theory, you could run it without subscription, but you wouldn't want hat, because it wouldn't look like the nice screens hots and videos they present.

The developer has conformed that you will get the full experience without the need for a subscription. 

No common computer can store that, so you'll want your subscription to get the data.

You get the cloud data without a subscription. Subscription is purely for Game Pass, if you want access to all of the other games. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, the following is no joke :  I've already ditched my P3Dv4 AND X-Plane11 in the favour of my "old" FSX:Steam Edition two weeks ago.  FSX:SE (and AeroflyFS2 occasionally) is my main civilian flight sim again.

It's now running under Steve Parson's one and only DX10 Scenery Fixer and DX10 Cloud Addon DX10 Scenery Fixer and Cloud Addon (now with Cloud Shadows inclusive) exclusively.

Mainly why?

• Over the last year I've lost my joy about P3D and X-Plane increasingly; because I started to miss old good addons, a lot of content, interesting flight missions in terms of fun & reality more and more, which I had found in FSX/FSX:SE a lot.
  • XPlane and P3D became more and more boresome.
  • And I was done with all these boring graphic excesses over the years.
  • "Modern" flight simming has became nothing else but graphics mainly; and stays in terms of new core features " dull ".
  • All the other interesting stuff which keeps my hobby alive is delivered by addon publishers anyway.
  • Flight school tuition, stuff to learn/read about aviation, good learning missions in someones mother tongue (which makes things to learn a lot easier) - all these things and much more is still accomplished in a very better way in FSX/FSX:SE, compared to P3D or X-Plane.
  • Now I'm a happy flight simmer again 😍 , with good graphics and better performance, thanks to Steve's DX10 Fixer. 
  • Thank you Steve, thank you so much !!!

XPlane11, P3Dv4x, I'm finished with you! 

Stay ditched and buried:

gravestone-on-white-background-vector-60

....... now I've to leave for a next and interesting "Flour Bomb Mission", for my next "Reno Air Race" (want to improve my time), for a "F-16 HAVCAP" mission (Aerosoft's great F-16 missions package), for exploring some wildlife in Africa - now surrounded by ORBX's great and brand new Africa OpenLC scenery, and....etc, etc, etc...:biggrin:.

All the best,

Konrad.

• Like 2