Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

On 3/18/2020 at 2:34 PM, Doug47 said:

I should've have worded it like this Not sure why ANYONE would switch from genuine, 100% simulators played on a laptop or desktop PC, to a game? 

What? What part of it is a "game" compared to other sims? Have you seen the Feature Discovery series episodes?

I'm a gamer - no, seriously, I am- but I'm also a flight simmer. That means I appreciate the eye candy, and by God it's the best looking game I've ever seen (I have a lot of experience in that regard); and it means I can appreciate the complex flight dynamics, etc, etc. I'm not sure why "game" is thrown around like an insult here...

Edited by Concodroid
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Concodroid said:

What? What part of it is a "game" compared to other sims? Have you seen the Feature Discovery series episodes?

I'm not sure why "game" is thrown around like an insult here...

I used sarcastica font. Long story covered many pages back. 😉

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Concodroid said:

I'm not sure why "game" is thrown around like an insult here...

Doug47 wasn't being serious. But some people are. They can't get past assigned labels to see what something actually is. The confusion deepens with the licensing requirement that P3d be considered a training simulator rather than a game, and I think that made some people a little snooty; "I use P3d, that's a simulator, not a game like that Microsoft thing."

P3d being labelled a simulator is neat and everything, but under the hood it's 90% the same as the game Flight Simulator X. It is entirely possible for a product to be both a simulation and a game. Look at that old gem FIA GTR racing. It was a racing simulator, and especially for the time it was a *good* simulator. But it was also a game because unlike real life, if you crashed a Ferrari into a wall at 200mph, you not only lived, but you also didn't have to explain to your insurance company why you wrecked another Ferrari. 

I've said before on here that you can call MSFS a word processor if you want, but if it does a good job at simulating flying airplanes, I'll use it, and I won't get in a twist about what label got slapped on it by the marketing department.

Edited by eslader
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Well MSFS keeps looking and sounding better with every release, but I do think it will be a while before it can replace my X-Plane setup and my favorite aircraft. I have no problem adding another SSD drive for this new sim. If its performance is going to be as good as predicted, it should be a winner and possibly hard to resist. I am starting to hold off or at least be very selective in buying any new additional planes right now. If it's as good as it seems to look, with superb flight dynamics, and it gets the support of the third party providers for aircraft and services like Vatsim - it should eventually dominate the market. I just can't imagine that happening in less than a year or two after it releases. 

A part of me is hoping Laminar Research is able to raise their game with the performance and visuals where a passionate group of simmers are behind all the decision making instead of a board of directors of a conglomerate. 

Edited by steves53
additional comment

14 hours ago, eslader said:

But it was also a game because unlike real life, if you crashed a Ferrari into a wall at 200mph, you not only lived, but you also didn't have to explain to your insurance company why you wrecked another Ferrari.

If that's the case, nothing can truly be considered a simulator!

18 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I used sarcastica font. Long story covered many pages back. 😉

Phew, I thought you were one of them.

I'll just create a topic in off-topic and ask people why they think "game" is a bad thing. I kinda want to hear their rationale

On 3/18/2020 at 8:34 PM, Doug47 said:

I should've have worded it like this Not sure why ANYONE would switch from genuine, 100% simulators played on a laptop or desktop PC, to a game? 

I don't think MSFS will trail far behind in any aspect, compared to other sims for personal computers. That includes areodynamics. Just think of weather simulation. And the teased ingame aircraft design tool gives hope for efficient design of flight models.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, Concodroid said:

Phew, I thought you were one of them.

I'll never turn to the dark side. No matter HOW good the retirement package might be. 😎

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Concodroid said:

If that's the case, nothing can truly be considered a simulator!

I know you're joking, but... Yeah, the line blurs. Especially if you listen to the physics guys who think we're *in* a simulation. 😉

6 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I'll never turn to the dark side. No matter HOW good the retirement package might be. 😎

But I hear they have cookies...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I cannot comment on the new alpha. I can say I will not be updating P3D and I'm not all that pushed about the Vulkan update for X-Plane 😉

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Although P3Dv5 does look nice, after seeing it, my decision to leave P3D and commit fully to MFS has only been reinforced.  😉

• Like 1

I have never had X-Plane or P3d, but for the past 30-years or so (since FS 4.0) I have never been without a version of MSFS on a computer. But today I uninstalled FSX and all of my addons. I have been using it much less over the past couple of years, and now with a new version on the horizon it was time to clear my FSX drive to make room for it. The most painful removals were the excellent addons I had accumulated.

I will ditch, and without any hesitation after PMDG 737 is ported.

Edited by zemez

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

I will ditch once my aircraft and key addon is ported over. 

As of now I haven't bought the V5 upgrade for P3D or any addition addons for it.

• Like 1

Capt. Robert Rixx

let see when it come out - how it come out - how is marketed - and what it offer

until than enjoy enjoy the present !

• Like 3

I will ditch P3D when Vatsim becomes available from FS2020. In the meantime I'll be on the two games.

Marc

FS2020alpha, P3D v5 - W10 - i7-8700k @4.7GHz - Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3000MHz C15 - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti-O11G-Gaming - Noctua NH-U12S - SSD Samsung 970 Evo M.2 PCIe NVMe 1To - Cooler Master G650M - HP 35" OMEN X 21:9 3440x1440