Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How many of you are going to ditch P3D/X-Plane for MSFS2020?

On 4/3/2020 at 10:51 AM, steves53 said:

Well MSFS keeps looking and sounding better with every release, but I do think it will be a while before it can replace my X-Plane setup and my favorite aircraft. I have no problem adding another SSD drive for this new sim. If its performance is going to be as good as predicted, it should be a winner and possibly hard to resist. I am starting to hold off or at least be very selective in buying any new additional planes right now. If it's as good as it seems to look, with superb flight dynamics, and it gets the support of the third party providers for aircraft and services like Vatsim - it should eventually dominate the market. I just can't imagine that happening in less than a year or two after it releases. 

A part of me is hoping Laminar Research is able to raise their game with the performance and visuals where a passionate group of simmers are behind all the decision making instead of a board of directors of a conglomerate. 

The last sentence is key for me.  LR has made significant improvements in XP11 and I'm quite happy with it.  But, P3D, and XP are starting to look and feel like "last year's model" compared to what I'm seeing so far from MSFS.  If it really turns out to be the next-gen sim that we are expecting, I don't think that LR can really catch up although I hope that they try and are successful.  Certainly, Vulkan is a big step forward.

But, if they can't do that, I will make the switch to MSFS exclusively.  I don't want two sims to keep up-to-date.  As it is, I spend too much time "tweaking" and updating and not enough time flying.

• Like 3

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

like any new sim. It will take some time before 3rd party port they addons over to FS2020. So if you are waiting of VATSIM or PMDG, that might take a while. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

4 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

like any new sim. It will take some time before 3rd party port they addons over to FS2020. So if you are waiting of VATSIM or PMDG, that might take a while. 

For the first time we have a VFR world to explore. If the default GA aircraft fly in a fairly convincing way (i.e: not like paper planes or kites), one will have so many hours of fun before even thinking about addons.

• Like 3

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Like anything new, it'll take 24hrs(if that) to get used to it. Another 24hrs and it'll be the norm. Another 24hrs and you'll be picking holes in it. Just see. 😄

EDIT: When I say 'you' I mean the flight sim community as a whole.

Edited by Ron Attwood
  • Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

5 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

Given the fact a lot of third party developers are already cooperating with MS/Asobo it may very well be we'll see the first addons available shortly after release of MSFS.

• Like 2

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

16 hours ago, ricka47 said:

The last sentence is key for me.  LR has made significant improvements in XP11 and I'm quite happy with it.

I thought the same way when I switched from FSX to XP. But any change in XP takes ages. How long did it take them to implement 3D airports? I also wouldn't say that the community is behind the decision making. It's more like the community contributing and adding major parts. The company itself is mainly focusing on what they are interested in - a common criticism among the community.

To sum it up - the development of XP is slow but steady.

So I am actually quite happy to have a sim that utilizes current technologies. That's basically only possible with a big company in the lead regarding the needed infrastructure (streaming, map service, Azure, ...).

Plus, if I would like to practise realistic VFR flights in terms of scenery, there will be no other option than MSFS - unless covered by Orbx.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

4 hours ago, tweekz said:

I thought the same way when I switched from FSX to XP. But any change in XP takes ages. How long did it take them to implement 3D airports? I also wouldn't say that the community is behind the decision making. It's more like the community contributing and adding major parts. The company itself is mainly focusing on what they are interested in - a common criticism among the community.

To sum it up - the development of XP is slow but steady.

So I am actually quite happy to have a sim that utilizes current technologies. That's basically only possible with a big company in the lead regarding the needed infrastructure (streaming, map service, Azure, ...).

Plus, if I would like to practise realistic VFR flights in terms of scenery, there will be no other option than MSFS - unless covered by Orbx.

I'm not hopeful that XP will be able to respond to the challenge that MSFS will present.  They may not even see MSFS as a challenge and just continue to go their own way and many will stay with the sim out of loyalty.  I'll go with whatever is the best available and, unless many of us are wrong, that will be MSFS.

Edited by ricka47
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

I'm not hopeful that XP will be able to respond to the challenge that MSFS will present.  They may not even see MSFS as a challenge and just continue to go their own way and many will stay with the sim out of loyalty.  I'll go with whatever is the best available and, unless many of us are wrong, that will be MSFS.

For the first time a PC simulator will be what it should be (i.e: not an airline operation flight sim) simply because it will feature the virtual world as it should be.

We call it a VFR world but it is basically a "must have world" in any PC Simulator.

Hopefully MSFS will make the PC flight sim what it was always trying to be: Simulate aviation with its many types and styles... This virtual planet will be all set (and again for the first time) to offer an immersion at any altitude and speed...  

So any other existing PC simulator with only freeware or commercial VFR limited areas (aka "VFR theaters") should basically (on paper) become useless for the fans of GA, bush flying or helicopters if the flight models in MSFS are, again, convincing enough... Yet all those who still like airline operations will continue with their old habits with some additional benefits (weather realism, airports services etc)...

All this should be in my opinion MSFS (sales) value and I doubt any existing title will be able to compete easily in the near future. Therefore they will have to continue on their own path and values.

I have the feeling all what the (existing) competition(s) could hope for, is that  the flight model in MSFS will not be up to the expectation of many and thus they will keep using (and investing in) their old simulators... This is their only hope to avoid an initial exodus to MSFS.

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

I never got around to trying P3D or Xplane. Always stuck with FSX.

Not spent a great deal on add ons. A friend of mine got me the PMDG 777 as a gift which I enjoy.

I've always wanted a real VFR capable sim so I can start from the bottom and teach myself my own little "Simulator PPL".

So MSFS will be a mostly fresh start for me. Going to buy Honeycomb controls and focus on General Aviation from the start. 

Sorry, XPlane, I appreciate you and I almost pressed "buy" but just kind of never got around to it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

The alpha has alot of potential and it performs well however P3D is staying on my system until my 737, 787, Dash, Twin Otter and Airport addons are ported. The scenery is beautiful so no need for Orbx regions but lesser airports like TNCM etc need some developer love. Looking forward to what they'll accomplish with it.

I'm noticing that a lot of people who've never played MSFS are proclaiming the end of X-Plane, P3D, Orbx etc.

As I'm now in the alpha I can't say much. 🤐

However, the world is a big place, people want different things from different sims, don't rule out the ability for any existing flight sims or 3rd party developers to adapt and survive.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, wainwj said:

I never got around to trying P3D or Xplane. Always stuck with FSX.

Not spent a great deal on add ons. A friend of mine got me the PMDG 777 as a gift which I enjoy.

I've always wanted a real VFR capable sim so I can start from the bottom and teach myself my own little "Simulator PPL".

So MSFS will be a mostly fresh start for me. Going to buy Honeycomb controls and focus on General Aviation from the start. 

Sorry, XPlane, I appreciate you and I almost pressed "buy" but just kind of never got around to it.

Congrets my friend, you are really a wise man 🤞

Instead of wasting your money, wasting your time for flight sim administration and continously tweaking, and not beeing capable of digging deeper into your flight-simulator content because of too many other sims on your rig, you have used your time for the main purpose, for the main objective:  For FLIGHT SIMMING and learning all the other necessary stuff to become a better pilot.

Believe me, P3D offers nothing really better or advanced regarding flight dynamics/physics, or better weather dynamics, compared to FSX.

And X-Plane offers nothing really better in the same way.  Not even regarding helicopter training compared to FSX. 

Because if you stick with FSX you are able to run the mighty HTR freeware tool (Helicopter Total Realism) from the inspired developer "Fred Naar" - which makes helicopter flying even more challanging in FSX compared to X-Plane.

Since years and years the main credo, the main mantra from developers like Lockheed Martin and Laminar seems to be:  Better graphics, better graphics, better graphics, and very little resources for improving the main ingredients of a flight sim, or making it smoother to run

Okay, at least Austing Meyers is a real and passionate perfectionist.  Some kind of genius, and constantly improves XPlane's inherent flight physics/dynamics.

But - hey - P3D is a real joke and parody:  Still the same flight model like at the times of FSX in 2006.  And you are not able to run the HTR tool from Fred Naar on P3D, because it's not compatible (Fred has updated the HTR tool for FSX Steam Edition finally).

As a consequence I've returned to FSX a couple of months ago, and ditched both: x-plane11 AND P3D.

I've never regretted this step up to now.

All the best.

Edited by KBUR

4 hours ago, KBUR said:

Congrets my friend, you are really a wise man 🤞

Instead of wasting your money, wasting your time for flight sim administration and continously tweaking, and not beeing capable of digging deeper into your flight-simulator content because of too many other sims on your rig, you have used your time for the main purpose, for the main objective:  For FLIGHT SIMMING and learning all the other necessary stuff to become a better pilot.

Yes it'll always be the major draw for me. 

Just be nice to have something that allows me to do what I aspire to do straight out of the box. 

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

54 minutes ago, wainwj said:

Yes it'll always be the major draw for me. 

Just be nice to have something that allows me to do what I aspire to do straight out of the box. 

After spending so many years buying, installing, updating, and tweaking add ons, I would love to just use this sim with stock scenery and stock aircraft.  I'm sure the bug to buy more stuff will hit me sooner or later but I'm going to try to fight the urge.

• Like 3

Rick Abshier