Sign in to follow this  
Markek

RC4 Weather Path

Could someone let me know the weather path for Radar Contact 4 which is on a network using Active Sky for P3D residing on the P3dv4 computer?  I suspect the wrong path is causing P3D to suddenly close periodically.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark,

I have a similar setup with RC4 running via WideFS and AS running on the same PC as P3Dv4.

There is no path to the weather. RC reads weather directly inside P3D via FSUIPC. If P3D is closing (CTD?) it's nothing to do with RC4. You should check you're running the current versions of FSUIPC5 and WideFS.

Is an error generated in Event Viewer? If so, what does it say?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray.  Our setups are indeed the same.  P3D is just closing and not a CTD.  The Event Viewer does not show any errors.  

I suspected RC4 as P3D does not close when I do not use RC4.  I'll check my FSUIPC and WideFS  versions and report back.

Thanks for your assistance.  

Mark

Mark, there was a problem last year with RC4 and P3D. It had to do with Ai. If you’re using AIG’s Ai package then that is generating the problem. The sheer number of Ai was overloading a table built by FSUIPC.

I suspect you are running an old version of FSUIPC. Update it and the problem should disappear. It happens when your aircraft takes off. A new table of Ai is constructed at that point and the high number caused the crash.

If you don’t have AIG Ai then it’s a different problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am running FSUIPC version 5.151 on the 3D computer. 

The intermittent P3D closing has happened almost exclusively at start of descent or on approach and not consistently at any location that might indicate a scenery error.

I do have AIG installed BUT it was installed recently and have not used RC4 since I added it.  I will ,however, disable the add-on for future testing of the problem.

Fairly confident it is related to RC4 as I waited to post until I could have enough flights without RC4 to se if the sim would close and it did not do so.

I've used RC4 for years and never had issues but also have never run it on a network either.  

Just for further description, RC4 is running on the old desktop that has FSX installed on it.  I added showtext.exe and and widefs.  Could there be any issues from this?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

You need 5.1.5.4 available here. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/80977-updated-modules/

Then run MakeRunways v4.8.9.1 from here. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

Update the RC4 database and I suspect you'll be fine. The problem is not related to RC4 but probably down to data it uses. Having the latest versions of MakeRunways is critical.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray:

Both updates done per your suggestion.  It will take several days to confirm all okay as this has been intermittent but I will come back with a report soon.  The experience without RC$ is not nearly as immersive.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

Mark

Hopefully it will solve the problem Mark. Please report back either way.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, I have done 4 flights with RC4 and P3D did not close mid-flight so it looks like your recommendations solved my problem.  Since it's been an intermittent problem, I'll post if there are further issues but the pattern would have been that likely at least 1 of the 4 flights would have had issues.

I did notice that the ATIS weather is off slightly if that means anything.  I'm using Active Sky which matches real world weather and while the actual airport might be something like 30.06, RC4 is reporting 30.04.  Not sure where it reads the weather but is always slightly off.  Just in case that makes any sense to you.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Hi Mark,

That's good to hear. Yes, I also have inconsistent baro and wind readings from RC4 compared to actuals. No fix available I'm afraid. I use the values shown in Aivlasoft's Electronic Flight Bag but other solutions such as Active Sky will also work.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yesterday, the same event occurred-P3D closes in mid flight.  Perhaps it's a strong coincidence that it seems to only happen when using RC4 and that it is something else.  I do see an "Application error 1000" in event viewer.  Not sure if that's pointing to this issue specifically, but unless you have any further ideas, I think I will post in a more general forum although searching in the past, I did not find any resolution that seemed applicable.

Thanks very much for your help.

Mark

@Markek, I cannot conceive of a situation where RC4 causes P3D to crash other than the one around 20 months ago when large amounts of Ai were in P3D and P3D would crash as soon as your aircraft took off. That was fixed with a new FSUIPC5.dll.

If you’re running the latest versions of WideFS and FSUIPC5 there really shouldn’t be a problem but without more info it’s impossible to give useable advice, sorry.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I appreciate all of the time you have spent providing guidance.  I have not had issues lately but am now extra alert to try to identify what might be different when P3D suddenly closes vs when no problems.  Since it's not been a reported issue by others and you've never heard of it, probably not RC4 and just a perceived coincidence.

Stay safe.

Mark 

Mark,

When you say P3D closes suddenly is there an entry in Event Viewer? If so, paste it in full please. Do you see "Application Error 1000" every time? Does the time stamp of it match the time P3D crashes?

Does it happen at a particular location? I was having problems with P3D terminating at a particular location and it turned out to be a corrupt file probably at an airport so when I reached the critical distance from it P3D would crash.

If it happens at the same location try disabling any 3rd party airports in that area. That's a good place to start. You could also list what 3rd party addons you run and try disabling as many as possible.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I had not thought of Event Viewer before but am alerted now to look at it next time that it happens.  So, the first time that I did look at it after P3D closed suddenly, there was only "Application Error".  

I do know that it is not at a specific airport or scenery.  I repeated a couple of flights where I had the problem and neither time did I have any issues.  I had been watching that for a pattern but there isn't one.