Sign in to follow this  
SledDriver

Horizon X photo scenery repeatable Aberystwyth (Wales) CTD

Found a repeatable bug with the HorizonX Photoscenery this evening.

Flying over Aberystwyth in Central West Wales I get a repeatable crash almost directly over the town. Doesn't happen if I disable the photo scenery. Does happen in any plane at any speed/alt etc.

Anyone ever had this?

I flew for hours over the rest of Wales and Devon without issue. As soon as I returned directly over Aberystwyth I get a CTD.

Wondering if there is a fix

Does anyone know how to find which scenery files are effective at a specific location? I'd like to replace just the relevant files instead of doing a full reinstall if possible. Looks like its Volume 2.

What does Event Viewer display?

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.5.13.32097, time stamp: 0x5d8abf93
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.719, time stamp: 0x64d10ee0
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f92a9
Faulting process ID: 0x3650
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5fcd9d7c5e009
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 446ff5bf-6774-425e-84cf-0c49b57d6e47
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

OK I sussed why it was crashing.

One of the update scripts for the Horizon X scenery had renamed one bgl file to disable it, and failed to replace it with a new active one. Several others examples had been correctly updated, but the tile for Aberysthwyth was missing. Checked my backups and I don't think it's ever been there. Obviously I never flew over that specific tile previously in all my years with this data. 🙂

For anyone who wants to check their installation... Look in:

...\VFR-Gen-X-2.0\Volume2\Area1\1.2m Photo\Scenery

for a file called V2-12-11750213.bgl

It's probably missing, having been renamed v2-12-11750213.bgl.VFRGenXUpdateInstallBackup

Simply rename that file to the original name V2-12-11750213.bgl and you should not get the crash.

I can see why they tried to update the file - it doesn't draw quite right in the scenery, but I'd rather have a slightly wrong looking tile than a CTD.

Cheers.