Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Carenado make an announcement = out come the study level brigade

Captain Sim make an announcement = out comes the study level brigade

Either has a sale = the rest of us buy a bargain

41 minutes ago, Reader said:

Carenado make an announcement = out come the study level brigade

Captain Sim make an announcement = out comes the study level brigade

Either has a sale = the rest of us buy a bargain

I don't think anyone obsessed with 'study level' sims (whatever they are) is ever going to be expecting that kind of stuff from Carenado. Personally, I like fancy sim stuff as much as I like cheap and cheerful stuff, both have their merits. But this does not mean I won't ever criticise the makers of cheap and cheerful stuff if the product warrants it. Because even with a simpler goal for your flight sim add-on product, that is no excuse for sloppy work and a poor after-sales response to addressing any issues.

This is the basis of most complaints about Carenado's products; it's nothing to do with a level of an unrealistic expectation in terms of how much the add-on replicates (anyone unaware of the concept that an add-on at a specific price point is going to be limited in its scope, only has themselves to blame on that score). Nope, it's to do with the limited features which are realistically expected still having problems and this just being the result of sloppy work on occasions, sometimes leading to the add-on being literally unflyable.

With regard to price and expectations and such, a good example of this is when comparing the Carenado (Alabeo) Cessna C441 Conquest II, with the FlySimware Cessna C441 Conquest II, and indeed the older Flight 1 FSX version of that aircraft for that matter.  Now I have all three of those add-ons, but we'll stick with just the Carenado and FlySimware ones for this point, since they are contemporary in terms of their product release date. Currently, the Alabeo C441 is priced at £22.99, the FlySimware C441 is priced at £32.69, but at the time of release (approximately 25/01/2017) both products were pretty much the same price.

Now as I say, I bought both of them at that time, because the FlySimware one promised (and delivered) on being a very accurate simulation of the real aeroplane in terms of systems, but graphically it was a bit lacklustre, whereas the Alabeo one was not promising to be as accurate in terms of systems simulation, but it was undeniably a lot better in terms of graphical prettiness. Nevertheless the Alabeo C441 did have a stupid mistake in the cockpit on the graphics; I even sent Alabeo corrected artwork for that which I made (took about 5 minutes in Photoshop), but  they still haven't put a correction to that out as a patch, and that's now well over two years ago, and it wouldn't even require any work on their part to do that other than recompiling the installation exe file to include my corrected artwork instead of their erroneous version, so how lazy is that in terms of after market support?!

If you are wondering what that error is, it is a placard on the engine control pedestal which reads 'OVERDRIVE' rather than being the the correct 'OVERRIDE'. Not a show stopper, but it is nevertheless sloppy work, and especially since the graphics is allegedly Carenado and Alabeo's strong point. But the big problem with the Alabeo C441 was not that graphics issue, it was that it could not be taxied controllably because there was a problem with the throttle system on it, so you couldn't even get it to the runway.

That's what we're on about, not the fact that their stuff is not 'study level', it's that their products sometimes don't even bloody well work at all, and they often couldn't even be bothered to beta test them to check stuff such as that.

Now I'm not saying everything Carenado and Alabeo make is bad - I still buy some of their stuff from time to time - and in a sale you may well find some bargains from them, but what I am saying is if anyone is seeking a bargain, read some reviews first before pressing that buy now button, because even at half price, if the thing doesn't work, it'll not be worth having, because a half priced hangar queen, is still a hangar queen.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

23 minutes ago, Chock said:

a half priced hangar queen, is still a hangar queen.

How about the Do228?

• Like 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

At $11.99 it must be worth a try. The same with the B1900. I have just acquired both, two for 60% of the full price of the Dornier. They look superb and fly but my standards on fine operational detail are based on my in depth knowledge of flight and therefore not high. For the record, I do not expect that P3D v4 will suddenly stop working on the release day of the new simulator and am quite happy to enjoy new addons.

I note that the dollar/GBP exchange rate is close to 1:1😢

Edited by Reader

It looks like the A72 versions are considerably more expensive at the resellers than at the Carenado site.

Edited by Reader

blah blah blah...Please ignore the typical ranting and whining of the anti-Carenado brigade. I own half a dozen Carenado planes, and they are perfectly flyable. Study level? No. Enjoyable? Absolutely. 

The Citation C550 (I think they call it S550 on their site) is a decent little bird assuming you already own the GTN 750.  This one is their best jet and for that low of price it's a great deal.  

Actually I also like their recently released C560 Excel, also using the GTN 750 - it has PBR exterior and is a pretty good buy too for 35 bucks.

I was kinda bummed their C421 wasn't on sale.  That's a pretty old product.  I'm one of the naysayers of their products - but they got me for sure!  I own more than ten of their P3D/XP11 products.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So the usual Carenado bashing aside (I’ve certainly done my share), what are some of their products that are you do like? I’m a MilViz/A2A/Vertx fan myself, but at 70% off I’d certainly collecting some eye candy so long as it’s not overly frustrating to fly  I could use a break from working with the finally-released MilViz KA 350i. 
I like the Cessna C337H Skymaster HD Series for one.  It is a cool old airplane with a unique style. Most of the switches/systems do work, perhaps because It doesn’t have any complicated in-depth systems to go wrong. 

Same with the Carenado Beechcraft Bonanza V35B. It’s a classic plane nicely rendered. Some systems/switches don’t work as expected but don’t detract a lot from overall experience.

I’m on the fence about the Carenado Cessna CT206H. It looks good, systems depth not to MilViz, A2A or Vertx standards but workable. Both G1000 and steam gauge versions are included. The G1000 version is great plane for IFR. Everything works somewhat as it should. The G1000 version still uses a separate KAP 140 Autopilot. The KAP 140 Autopilot works but not exactly as it should.

| i5 7400@3GHz | 8GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | 1TB HDD | Saitek X52 Pro |

5 hours ago, Chock said:

If you are wondering what that error is, it is a placard on the engine control pedestal 

A wrong placard? The horror!

• Like 1

The last time Carenado had a sale I pickup the Phenom 100 and the Pawnee. I didn't expect study level at all. I haven't used either much but I'll say neither of then delivered in visual quality either. So you neither get realism on the systems side or quality on the textures side.😛

I've been looking at DA62 by Carenado and DA62 by Vertx but can't decide which one is better? I did post on his youtube channel but never had a reply.

Anyone got any thoughts on which one is better?

Thanks

Jason

Jason Thompson