Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

Low frame rates & unable to run full screen

I recently had to re-install FSX.  After the re-install of the base FSX (not SP1 or SP2) in its basic installation configuration except for graphics setting to 32 bit, 2560x1440 resolution, and running the introductory free flight with the ultralight model, I am running only at 20 FPS and very sluggishly in a windowed mode.  When I switch to full screen (Alt-Enter), everything stops. Not only FSX, but I cannot access other programs from Start menu.  I can only shutdown the computer and re-start it. 

I have attempted several remove/re-installs with no success.  Same issues.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Don't delay in adding SP1 and SP2 (if you are not running Acceleration).  Don't mess around in the base installation.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

No luck with adding SP1 and SP2.  

I have never had this happen before with multiple installs of FSX.  

Any thoughts?

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

2 minutes ago, richjb2 said:

Any thoughts?

Rich 

Big Hammer!:blink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

31 minutes ago, richjb2 said:

No luck with adding SP1 and SP2.  Any thoughts?

It would be helpful it you described the specific issues or error messages, rather than merely saying it didn't work.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

No error message.  When I enter full screen using Alt-Enter, the screen goes black or you see part of the original windowed screen.  Sound continues, but I think it is just last sound continuing to run.  You can use the Windows key to bring up the Start menu, but you cannot start or switch to other running programs.  You cannot open Task Manager or Process Explorer.  If one of these are open, you cannot access its features. 

From the best I can tell when I was able to get Task Manager open, FSX is showing: Not Responding. 

On-line searches have not proven useful. 

I'm getting close to that big hammer.

Thanks,

Rich

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

I think I found a fix.  Following the age old advice, I did not have DirectX 10 Preview checked.   I found a video on YouTube from a user with the same problem:

It said to check the DirectX 10 Preview box.  I did that and can now switch between Windowed and Full Screen mode in FSX. 

Don't look at me. I'm just happy it's working.

Thanks for everyone taking interest and trying to help!

Rich Boll 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS