Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

FSX and Prepare3d

Can one have the two softwares on the same computer,FSX and Prepare3d ?

Is it possible to get problems ?

Thank you

Paul12

Herbert Werni

Sure!  Why not?  What could possibly go wrong?????:blink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

No problem at all..........

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Never had a problem with it (Steam Edition FSX and P3D 4). Both in default install locations, i.e. P3D in Program Files and FSX in Steam folder in Program Files (x86).

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

No problem here, I have P3Dv4.5, Fsx Acc and so...

For your information as I write, I'm in the process of re-familiarizing myself with the Concorde on Fsx...

Oh my god, I realize that I forgot everything about this aircraft while taking a worried look at the remaining memory (very, very, little)...

...double memory problem, human and computer...:laugh:

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

7 hours ago, Paul12 said:

Can one have the two softwares on the same computer,FSX and Prepare3d ?

Is it possible to get problems ?

Thank you

Paul12

why would you have a problem? Do you have just one app on your computer..?

7 hours ago, Chock said:

Never had a problem with it (Steam Edition FSX and P3D 4). Both in default install locations, i.e. P3D in Program Files and FSX in Steam folder in Program Files (x86).

This is not a good idea!

@Chock please, stay fair. I hope it was a mistake . . .

@Paul12 / at all: installing your flightsim / FSX in Program Files (x86) or any subfolder can cause a lot of problems. So better install it directly under C:\ or D:\ or C:\flightsim or D:\flightsimX for example.

Yeah, I hear a lot of people say that it is not a good idea to install them there, but I did that and I have never had an issue with it at all and since these are the default paths the installer selects, which is a choice made by the developers of the programs, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Microsoft, Dovetail and Lockheed Martin know a bit more about it than people saying it's not a good idea. Especially since as I say, I've literally never had any problem with any version of FSX or P3D in regards to doing that. I think the problems people have had stem from when they start tweaking and screwing around with stuff without knowing what they are doing and buggering up their registry.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

10 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yeah, I hear a lot of people say that it is not a good idea to install them there

So it was no mistake?
I understand  . . .

6 hours ago, Chock said:

these are the default paths the installer selects, which is a choice made by the developers of the programs, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Microsoft, Dovetail and Lockheed Martin know a bit more about it than people saying it's not a good idea. 

The other side of this coin is that there has to be a default location and by definition, it must be the default Windows locations for added software. This was decided many Windows versions ago, XP in the case of FSX and has never been changed, except that the 64 bit version of P3D now defaults to the 64 bit Windows default location, program files. What Windows does to protect these two folders has however changed a great deal.

No end of users have had permissions problems that have nothing to do with what they may or may not have done to their simulator. I am very aware that there are experts on these forums that explain that the default locations are fine if only certain conditions are fulfilled but for most of us, the easiest way to avoid any potential permissions problems is to install to a folder outside those two and run the simulator as an administrator.

This is not to disagree but just to point out the other alternative.