Sign in to follow this  
AllanK

DME - no distance or speed

I am a relative newby to FSX.

When using the radio stack to land one of the Microsoft FSX planes at Sydney Kingsford Smith airport, there is no distance or speed shown on the DME panel.

For example, if I am landing on runway 07 - the ILS/DME frequency is shown as 109.9 for the airfield. I enter this in NAV1 and make it active.

When I approach the runway, the NAV button lines the aircraft up with the runway. At no stage does are speed or distance shown in the display.

In desperation I have tried various combinations of buttons pressed of NAV1 and DME with no display. I have also tried various Microsoft propeller aircraft.

As an aside, the OFF button in the DME display cannot be moved - I guess it is permanently on - like wise the knob does not turn.

I have seen a UTUBE video where it does work.

Any suggestions as to how this can be made to work?

Are you sure that this ILS for the runway provides DME information? Not all airports provide DME.   I'll check it out later this morning.

Welcome to the AVSIM forums!:happy:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

As a test, I planted my 737-800 at a cargo parking spot at Kingsford-Smith Airport.  The Nav1 radio tuned to 109.9.  A good indication of ISY (ILS designation) and NO DME (Distance Measuring Equipment).

As a second test, I planted my aircraft at my home airport, KSFO with a "known" good DME.  All indications are spot on!

ISY.JPG

KSFO.JPG

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Also keep in mind that the Youtube video that you saw, the person may have a payware version of that airport that has DME available.

Charlie Aron

Thanks for the prompt replies.

So when I see "ILS/DME 109.9" on the airport chart - how can I know if DME is provided or only ILS?

You probably won't know it until you fly it!

Charlie Aron

2 hours ago, AllanK said:

Thanks for the prompt replies.

So when I see "ILS/DME 109.9" on the airport chart - how can I know if DME is provided or only ILS?

You look at the real world approach procedure for that runway.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Be aware, there are also some ILS approaches in FSX/P3D that do not have a GS (glide scope), just the localizer to align you with runway. RJTH Hachijojima is one that I have landed at with no glide scope. This ILS does have a DME, but no GS.

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:33 PM, johncott said:

Be aware, there are also some ILS approaches in FSX/P3D that do not have a GS (glide scope), just the localizer to align you with runway. RJTH Hachijojima is one that I have landed at with no glide scope. This ILS does have a DME, but no GS.

John Cottreau

They are few and far between, but they are not just in the simulator. They are the same in aviation.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere