Sign in to follow this  
Skywatcher

What if? Just What if?

7 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

You do know that areas won't be one to one to real life.  For example a building in real life may be brown on the sides, but white in the sim.  Or may look very different to real life.  The AI is just trying to match the satellite photos, then create something that looks good.  So that it would fool someone that doesn't know the area.

This gap in detail is an area that 3rd party devs can fill.  They can fix the airports that aren't the 80 handmade ones.  The can fix buildings and landscapes that look wrong.  I still believe we should report what we see now so they can fix as much as is reasonable.

I'll explain a little further. Matching satellite data is one thing, matching something that does not exist is another. If the shadows have no detail, that area needs to be made up. How is this done? The software would look at the surrounding area and fill the shadow area using this information.

In the shadows I showed earlier for example, that area will likely be filled with a green texture, grass or something like that. In this scene, the blend should work reasonably well as the surrounding textures are not that detailed.

Now, in saying this, in real life those shadows may have rock faces hiding behind them. The software has no way to know this because the black area has zero detail. You won't get rocks there as in real life, you will likely get green something or the other.

The more complex and detailed the surrounding textures are, the harder it will be for the software to remove those shadows without leaving clear evidence of removal. In places that have high detail, it may look a complete mess after shadow removal and people will have to manually retouch those areas.

Overall, when you consider we are talking about a huge proportion of shadow areas that would exist in these photos across the entire planet, there will be massive amounts of bad looking shadow fixes that will remain untouched.

Mark Daniels

Thank you for sucking every bit of joy out of what should be a nice distraction from the very real events unfolding.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Noodle said:

Thank you for sucking every bit of joy out of what should be a nice distraction from the very real events unfolding.

Would you feel better after you bought a new PC, the game, maybe spent up on the PMDG and then fired up your PC for the first time?

I'll make some things up to change your mind again in future posts. Would you prefer that?

I know I just want accurate information myself.

People ask for explanations/examples and then jump on you for giving them.

It may help make MSFS better. Saying nothing certainly won't.

Edited by Skywatcher
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mark Daniels

I'd feel better if people who prefer FS9 would stop posting nonsense in a forum dedicated to a simulator they have no interest in buying or using.

I'd feel better if people would stop virtue signaling by shaming others for interest in a hobby just because they're fearful of a pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Noodle said:

I'd feel better if people who prefer FS9 would stop posting nonsense in a forum dedicated to a simulator they have no interest in buying or using.

Took out the second part because I don't think it referenced me. If it did, it was wrong.

I have interest in MSFS and I am still holding out hope to be surprised. I know it won't be perfect and I know there is still time to make change where change is possible or at least put more focus on areas users may find of concern.

You can bury your head in the sand and just say everything is great but it's not. I'm a realist and prefer to plan for what is ahead not make bad decisions based on wishful thinking.

End of the day, who says I know anything, may be wrong on everything, make up your own mind.

Mark Daniels

You have no evidence to support the claim I'm "burying my head in the sand". Why would you make such an assumption?

Guys,

It would appear that we have a minor skirmish developing and I have no wish to contribute to it with blame or recrimination.

In a nutshell, I think what everybody is saying, or has said many times, is that none of us know what the final product is going to be like. It is all very well to comment on what is known at the moment, and even mild speculation is all very well too. This generally, is what most of these topics are about, but we need debates rather than arguments.

Why is it, that we even speculate on what is going to be thrown away now, whilst we wait for MSFS2020. I am somewhat bemused by the fact that a/any dedicated flight simmer is even considering giving up something he /she has enjoyed or is enjoying because an unfathomable is on the horizon. I know that there are many reasons for giving up flight simming but this is not one of them in my opinion. To me it is a bit like giving up steak and potatos because there is a lobster coming on the market in about three months. 

Talking about flight Simulation abstinence is vastly different to actually giving up flight simming and I can not quite see the reasoning behind giving up a platform/s for something that MAY (weelllll, almost guaranteed) be better. Why not enjoy the existing platforms and enjoy the speculation (and even some of the facts) surrounding the newcomer. Even that, has been said before and said so many times by many different people.

That aint not never ever, gunna be bad for anyone.

Regards

Tony  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I'm pretty certain this is the sim most devs will jump on, as it's the most promising sim for a big audience (and subsequently a big market). So even if it has some quirks in the beginning, there will be no way around it, if you play for joy rather than focus on a specific feature.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

The problem is this forum has been reduced to who`s going to dump this and that to bait the forum, MSFS has been played out due to the same question ask over a 100 times and most don't have anything better to do they no longer use flight simulator they told us that.

PS. Sales of MSFS by the time it`s released may come down to how many people still have a pay check flight simulator will be low priority to some by then. 

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Why is it, that we even speculate on what is going to be thrown away now, whilst we wait for MSFS2020. I am somewhat bemused by the fact that a/any dedicated flight simmer is even considering giving up something he /she has enjoyed or is enjoying because an unfathomable is on the horizon. I know that there are many reasons for giving up flight simming but this is not one of them in my opinion. To me it is a bit like giving up steak and potatos because there is a lobster coming on the market in about three months. 

L Hookins basically hinted at the reason why at the end of the first page in this thread. In short, anyone who has given up flight simulation completely until the new MFS is released is not really all that interested in flight simulation at the moment. There is no problem with that, but the rest of us are quite happy to continue using our current flight simulators until the new MFS is released. The regions that I fly around in P3Dv4 look very good indeed on my PC, and the aircraft that I fly (PMDG) are top notch.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

PS. Sales of MSFS by the time it`s released may come down to how many people still have a pay check flight simulator will be low priority to some by then. 

This is a big concern for sure.

Thank goodness they are this far along....had this been a year or more earlier, the project may have gotten scrapped and never seen the light of day.

12 hours ago, Max50 said:

In the shadows I showed earlier for example, that area will likely be filled with a green texture, grass or something like that. In this scene, the blend should work reasonably well as the surrounding textures are not that detailed.

You do realize that Bing has multiple images of the same area taken at different times of the day, right? Why not consider that with those sources the AI couldn't scan those images to find some that may be used by the AI to create a new image with no shadows?

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

The regions that I fly around in P3Dv4 look very good indeed on my PC, and the aircraft that I fly (PMDG) are top notch.

Some areas in P3D look really good, and a few look really bad.  This is with the stock scenery and can be improved with add-ons.  

The new sim looks really, really good in the videos and screen shots we've seen, and it has lots of really cool features.  But if what you really want to do is fly a PMDG-level airliner and none exist for MSFS then you'll be back to FSX/P3D soon enough, or XP if you prefer the zibo mod.  Here's hoping PMDG releases an airliner for MSFS soonest for those people who want one.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On 3/20/2020 at 10:02 AM, Max50 said:

What if you don't like FS2020? Then what?

Some of you have already wiped all your other sims.

Then, the Sun will implode. The Earth will stop spinning...

... and we'll re-install P3D.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471