Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Boom, there goes my job...

Just had a call from work, on unpaid leave now, EGCC potentially closing down operations for a while. Menzies Aviation staff potentially being offered temporary roles at other operations for the duration of the shut down.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Cannot begin to express my sincerest empathy for you, and everyone else in a similar situation. Im lucky enough to be safely employed in government, but I am on the frontline of COVID-19 economic response, trying to sort out the economy, so im getting to see more horror than i would wish upon anyone.

Hang tight dude - stay close to friends/family virtually, and keep focused on what makes you happy.

Have faith that things will sort themselves out soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Really sorry to hear that Alan. I worked for the airlines when 9/11 happened (USAir in Charlotte NC USA) and we went through the whole aviation shut down then so I definitely know your pain and can relate to how you are feeling. Even now, working in the corporate side of aviation (Gulfstream in Savannah GA) we are being impacted by all of this CV19 pandemic so we are not immune either. I am very lucky that our company is doing a fantastic job of taking care of their people and customers, but nothing is guaranteed down the road if this drags on for a protracted period of time. Basically, we are all going through it in one way or another. I can tell you from  my past experience that these things do pass over time, and you can make it through, if you keep focused on the things that are going well in your life and not on the struggles.

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

Good luck, I hope you get to relocate to another base temporarily until things get back to normal.

My own Manchester based flying has been shut down,I’m on less than half pay for 6 months at least, in theory I’m keeping my job, but my house and car?..I’m not so sure.

I know someone who owns a dairy company and he couldn’t get anyone to fill the vacancy for a milkman, now he’s got 300 applicants! Anyone who is familiar with father Ted: speed 3 will know it’s a dream job

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

BUGGER! Sorry to hear that Alan.

Does the airport not need personnel to look after the "grounded" planes - kick the tyres and move them around now and again? Charge the batteries etc. much like what isn't happening to flybe's planes?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Sod it, so sorry to hear that Alan

Yikes, aren't we living in strange times right now.

Keep sending posts, I really appreciate  your excellent insight although I will miss your pics.

Stay safe for the duration.
Best

Phil

Well, FlyBe's planes have been towed off the stands on the cul de sac to remote stands in order to clear those in the cul de sac for skeleton operations, because only terminal 1 will be operational, and even that may cease operations if things get really bad. So basically, the main ops are going to be on 11 round to 47 in the cul de sac and probably around the corner up to 54 or so.

Obviously some operations have to be maintained, i.e. for military flights and emergencies etc, so the airport will not literally shut down completely, but it will get pretty close to it for a few weeks apparently. This means I haven't actually 'lost' my job (at least not yet) because they will obviously need people doing that stuff when this all blows over, but for the moment I'll be doing other stuff.

On the plus side, I am finishing my video review of the DC Designs F/A-18 tonight and that will be a long one too (complete with some hilariously bad carrier landings by me and some singing and guitar playing as well and some other fun stuff), and I will be doing other videos to pass the time as well, so if anyone needs something to pass the time whilst stuck at home fending off all the zombies, look out for those. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

1 minute ago, philmurfin said:

I will miss your pics.

No you won't, I've got loads of them stored and loads of video footage too for some productions for my youtube channel which I have planned, so they'll be coming thick and fast now I'm sat at home for a bit. 

Thanks to everyone who has said nice things, it's a bit rough of course, but for not just me who's getting stiffed and in any case, I'm sure many others are far worse off than I am, so there'll be no self pity at Chez Chock.

Anyway, everyone keep smiling and don't let the b******s grind you down! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Just had a call from work, on unpaid leave now, EGCC potentially closing down operations for a while. Menzies Aviation staff potentially being offered temporary roles at other operations for the duration of the shut down.

Sorry to hear Alan I was thinking about you through all this and kind of figured it was going to happen. Aviation is a wild ride

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

32 minutes ago, Chock said:

.Anyway, everyone keep smiling and don't let the b******s grind you down! 🙂

NIL ILLEGITEMATUM CARBORUNDUM.

It's an old one (pun intended - old..  Latin.. I'll get my coat!), and nowhere near accurate Latin but still.. :laugh:

I gave up Latin in the 2nd year at High School (I was about 12/13 years old) and took Geometrical & Engineering Drawing, AKA Technical drawing instead :cool:.

Ahem, sorry for the ramble.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

When I was 16 given the choice between Technical Drawing and Latin, I would have chosen Technical Drawing too. Given the benefit of hindsight and perhaps wisdom I would have chosen Latin. 😁 Bad luck Chock. You'll make it through!

• Like 1

I hope you aren't out of work too long, hopefully this too shall pass.

In my work we are already impacted by CV19.  People (customers) need to realize, they are just going to have to WAIT.

We just had an order cancelled, because the buyer got laid off due to CV19, and could no longer qualify for the loan.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Sorry to hear that. My sympathy, Alan.

A hard rain's gonna fall. Hopefully the roaring wave will not drown the whole world, as the song goes. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Bummer. My sympathies, and looking forward to the better times round some yet unreached corner.

Petraeus

Pubs Restaurants and Gyms now closed staff being laid off thousands of jobs lost daily, on the local news some had just started up now fear loosing it all.    

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg