Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Is that 24fps or 60fps?

1 hour ago, Virtpilot said:

Hmm.... I have followed this thread an altough my monitor is not capable of running with 24Hz, I did try the 48Hz. And somehow I like what I´m seeing. The scenery looks somehow more naturally than it was with 60Hz. Interesting. There is less shimmering. I have Scanline sync x/2 set in my RTSS and the frames stays at 30. 

Just my two cents in the discussion.

Ok, but none of this really adds up. Why are you getting 30 FPS while using 1/2 sync at 48hz? Why do you think changing your refresh rate would reduce shimmering?

This whole thread is a great example of people seeing what they want to believe. No, 24 FPS will never look as good as 60 FPS, and smearing the image is not a solution. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have no answers to those questions my friend, I just express my positive findings based on short test flight with 48Hz refresh rate.

Tapani Österberg

5 hours ago, Virtpilot said:

I have no answers to those questions my friend, I just express my positive findings based on short test flight with 48Hz refresh rate

You should try setting your Frame Rate to 24. I use TrackIR5 and i have smoothing set 50. I also use EZCA v3 and I have additional smoothing to about 400. It prevents panning of view to quickly. If the panning is to fast the smooth motion 'brakes down'. Also I couldn't care less what the naysayers say. I've been at this a long time and what I'm seeing on my screen now is far superior to anything I've seen before.

3 hours ago, Quasimodo said:

Also I couldn't care less what the naysayers say. I've been at this a long time and what I'm seeing on my screen now is far superior to anything I've seen before.

The problem with this basically correct attitude of yours is: you still come here to spread your "miracolous" findings and blame others that they did not get your point while the exact opposite is the case: you have no idea what you are talking about and now luckily found a solution for your setup (which is perfectly fine). All I am trying to put here is that the very basic (with the exception of what your TV does) background of your finding is nothing special and when people following this "rule", they will get good results even without using a TV that smoothens out everything for them.

Again: if you use settings that result in such a big overhead as you do now with 24 FPS limit, you will get the most out of your simulator, this is what I do with my 30 FPS limit, this is what many others already do with other limits and other means (RTSS, 1/2 refresh rate settings etc.). It all comes down to the same very basic fact: when your frame rate limit is set wisely and in accordance with settings suiting your rig resulting in a fair enough overhead, the simulator will run as smooth as possible.

As you can see, already some people read what you wrote and it does not work for them, either because they do simply not have the smoothing function of the TV or they put the settings on a level that does not result in a big enough overhead for 24 FPS being held as constant as possible. But that is your responsability now, explain them why the very same approach does not work for them. And then you might understand why I was so sceptical about spreading your "miracolous" finding, if obviously the background knowledge is close to zero...

We have enough of those threads with people not knowing what they actually do making the community go nuts because they claim to have found a "miracolous" tweak (as you do in your topic title). Hundreds of threads where people then have to explain the very basics again and again due to so called "miracolous" findings resulting in simmers mistuning their simulator until nothing really works anymore.

That is why I will always jump on those threads an try to put things right if I recognize it. Or at least try to give an explanation for those "miracolous" findings. Over and out.

• Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS