Sign in to follow this  
VirtualPilot1460

RC4 and uncontrolled Airfields

Hello,

I'm currently on a round the world flight and have had to adjust my route to avoid China and major COVID-19 areas and have been pushed to fly my Cheyanne to Micronesia and via Midway to America. I was flying from WAPP to PTRO. PTRO is a small airfield with a unicom frequency of 123.60 according to RCv4. During my decent to my destination I had my IFR cancelled and diverted back to VFR (in IMC conditions) I had to decent further below the cloud base and fly off my gps and land with no comms. Any reason for the mid-flight cancellation, should be able to switch to unicom/or centre if that happens.

Regards

Nathan Smith 

System Specs: FSX:SE (upgrading to P3D v4.5), Intel i7-6700 (Skylake) 3.4GHz Quad Core, nVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 16GB Corsair Vengence  Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Acer 27" Monitor

Nathan, the usual reason is because the arrival airport does not have an Approach frequency. Without that the only alternative is to switch you to VFR rules.

Solution? Edit the AFD of the airport and add Arrival frequency. Save the resultant BGL into Scenery\World\Scenery and rebuild using MakeRwys.

If the real airport has no Approach then there’s no alternative I’m afraid.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 3/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Nathan, the usual reason is because the arrival airport does not have an Approach frequency. Without that the only alternative is to switch you to VFR rules.

Solution? Edit the AFD of the airport and add Arrival frequency. Save the resultant BGL into Scenery\World\Scenery and rebuild using MakeRwys.

If the real airport has no Approach then there’s no alternative I’m afraid.

Ah ok I will look into this as I travel to remote airfeilds :)

Thanks

Regards

Nathan Smith 

System Specs: FSX:SE (upgrading to P3D v4.5), Intel i7-6700 (Skylake) 3.4GHz Quad Core, nVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 16GB Corsair Vengence  Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Acer 27" Monitor

Sorry to add, would is there any interaction for IFR flights to uncontrolled airfeild after I have added an approach frequency?

Regards

Nathan Smith 

2 minutes ago, VirtualPilot1460 said:

Sorry to add, would is there any interaction for IFR flights to uncontrolled airfeild after I have added an approach frequency?

By definition once you have added an Approach frequency it is no longer uncontrolled. 😉

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Good point ;)

Regards

Nathan Smith 

So as I understand there is no interaction for an aircraft going to an UNCONTROLLED facility under IFR conditions in order to land..... I cant see it in the manual - thinking what if I swap to FSX ATC (but thinking that will cause a traffic issue)

Regards

Nathan Smith 

Not really, no. The only airport I can recollect not having an Approach frequency is Hamburg, Germany. Why I know not but I get dropped by ATC 40 miles out.

Those airports are in a minority though if you fly a sizeable aircraft which require full ATC facilities.

It’s been a long time since I used the default ATC. You’re on your own there I’m afraid. 😉

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

ah well Gaum is next so should be ok 🙂

Regards

Nathan Smith