Sign in to follow this  
BobKinSTL

Saitek Yoke Mode Switch

41 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

I meant to say "the BEST investment...).

Thanks bbuckley.  This is over my head and I don't want to make matters worse.  I consider my issue more of a nuisance than a problem.  But I am curious....what makes the full version so great for P3D?

2 hours ago, BobKinSTL said:

I located the file you mentioned above.  Questions...1. Renaming it as you said will disable the file?  2. What is meant by "back it up at the same time"?.  Sorry...reaching the limits of my computer capabilities.  And 3....If this creates any issues how to I revert back to the way it is now?  Your help is much appreciated, it's more a matter of principal at this point, I can use the keyboard commands for what I want to do.  

I. Yes, renaming the file disables it.

2. By renaming the file instead of deleting it, you are 'backing it up' in the sense that you still have it and can always rename it back to what it was originally to re-enable it so you can use it again.

3. As described above, you revert back to the original situation by renaming the file back to its original name. (if necessary write the original name down so you know what it is). When backing up files I usually just add something like _BkUp to the existing name, e.g., SaiD0BAC_BkUp.pr0 so it is obvious what the original name was.

In the FSUIPC case, and with LINDA, the problem is SaiD0BAC.pr0 prevents FSUIPC or LINDA from seeing the position of the mode switch. It is not clear to me if you are having a similar problem, and if you are making use of the Saitek programming interface, you may need the SaiD0BAC.pr0 file. You can try disabling the file and see what happens and then change back if necessary.

You mentioned that you save a file called UGCX Test. Are you saving a folder or a file? Files should have a 'dot' extension of some type like .exe or .PR0, etc. I would double check that what you are saving is in the correct format and going to the correct location. And after you reboot, check if UGCX Test is still in the location where you saved it?

If there are Saitek and UCGX forums, suggest you post there to see if someone can help. I am just not familiar with either Saitek or UCGX software.

Al

Edited by ark

10 hours ago, BobKinSTL said:

But I am curious....what makes the full version so great for P3D?

I use it to set up profiles for different aircraft for different buttons and axis calibrations and sensitivities.  I also write LUA scripts to perform functions associated with gauges and instruments such as GPS and transponders. 

if the nuisance becomes a problem, PM me and I’d be happy to modify your FSUIPC5.ini file for you. 

Stay well.

Bruce

• Upvote 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Hello @ll,

how does that mode switch work exactly? Does it alter the joystick button numbers or is it a button all by itself? How does it show up for example in the sim controller assignments or in FSUIPC?

I made a freeware app for controller assignment and I would like to implement that mode switch too - but I don't have a Saitek yoke. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance and best regards

• Like 1

LORBY-SI

The mode switch works as three indipendent buttons. Position left and right return both the pressed and unpressed statuses, the central position only sends the pressed status.

FYI I'm using it with LINDA to act as a modifier to triplicate the number of switches/buttons on my saitek yoke.
I also use it the same way with x-plane by mean of a custom .lua script.
I had to delete the SaiD0BAC.pr0 file and do not use the Saitek/Logitech drivers.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, peroni said:

The mode switch works as three indipendent buttons. Position left and right return both the pressed and unpressed statuses, the central position only sends the pressed status.

Thank you for the information.

If I understand correctly, when you set the mode switch to a certain location, it is the same as keeping a button pressed?

Is there a position of the mode switch where nothing is transmitted? (or is one of those buttons always pressed all the time?)

Best regards

LORBY-SI

I think it executes the on_press action but does not stay pressed and executes on_release action once moved to a different position.

Can't check now. The center position behave differently as it only executes the on_press action (or was it on_release?)

If you want me to run some specific tests send me a private message, I'll be glad to help

Edited by peroni

2 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Thank you for the information.

If I understand correctly, when you set the mode switch to a certain location, it is the same as keeping a button pressed?

Is there a position of the mode switch where nothing is transmitted? (or is one of those buttons always pressed all the time?)

Best regards

On my system FSUIPC sees the Saitek Mode switch as buttons 8, 9, and 10.  But note it is probably more accurate to say FSUIPC sees the mode switch as having three switch positions in that a given position is 'active' as long as the switch is in that position. The mode switch positions are not 'momentary' contact like many push for on, release for off, push buttons. My use of the mode switch is that of a modifier of another button, much like the shift or control key on a keyboard is a modifier of another key. Since the mode switch has three positions, if effectively triples the number of other buttons available. I have not noticed any difference in the behavior of the three mode switch positions. I just 'leave' the mode switch in which ever position I need it to be in at a given time.

Al

EDIT: BTW, in one of my posts above I said the mode switch can modify another button or key -- to clarify, while FSUIPC buttons, including mode switch modified buttons, can be used to send key strokes or key sequences, a key cannot be modified by the mode switch in the sense another button can.

Edited by ark

21 minutes ago, ark said:

in that a given position is 'active' as long as the switch is in that position.

OK, thanks, that's what I thought.

I know what I have to do now. There needs to be an option in my app to use other buttons like we normally use Shift/Alt/Ctrl. That sounds like it is very useful too, should have thought of that earlier.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Hello @ll,

would anyone with a Saitek yoke be willing to test my controller assignment app? It would be ideal if you don't have (paid) FSUIPC.

My app is non-invasive, it remains separate from the sim. It will not change any settings unless you want that.

If you are willing to help, a PM here in the forum would be much appreciated!

Best regards

LORBY-SI

For anyone using the Saitek/Logitech Pro Flight Yoke, the X52 HOTAS, or the X52 Pro HOTAS, you've most likely encountered difficulties with the Mode Switch when using anything other than the Saitek Smart Technology profile editor. Windows' Game Controller setting (joy.cpl) will show the Mode Switch as functioning, yet your game or third-party programming software (like LINDA or FSUIPC) will not recognize any input--programmed or native--from the Mode Switch. Everything else will work, just not the Mode Switch*.

There is a reason for that, and a solution as well.

The Mode Switch was intended to triple the amount of keybindings/controls that you could program. As an example, for the trigger switch, using the SST profile editor you might program Mode 1 for firing guns, Mode 2 for firing rockets, and Mode 3 for firing missiles.

Outside of the SST profile editor, however, the Mode Switch does not work, and this is because Saitek designed their programming driver so that Windows would hide the Mode Switch function in order that their software would have exclusive access. The programming driver is not the same as the Saitek Smart Technology profile editor program. When the yoke or joystick is first installed you do not have to install the SST profile editor, only the drivers. The Saitek Smart Technology profile editor is optional, and unnecessary. However, whether you choose to install SST or not, along with the necessary driver(s) is the programming driver as well.

One solution is to select the applicable Saitek/Logitech peripheral (Yoke or HOTAS) in the Game Controllers window. The easier way to do this is to enter in the search bar "Game Controller" then select "Set up USB Game Controllers". Scroll down and highlight the applicable controller--yoke or joystick--then click "Properties". As long as the Properties window is open and active the Mode Switch will now correctly function. Unfortunately, this requires remembering to do this each and every time you use your flight sim. However, there exists a more elegant--and permanent--solution.

For each of the three controllers, Saitek has an associated programming driver. They should be located in C:\Windows\System32, and are as follows:

• Pro Flight Yoke: SaiD0BAC.pr0

• X52 HOTAS: SaiD0255.pr0

• X52 Pro HOTAS: SaiD0762.pr0

Make a backup copy for safety and then rename the applicable file. For instance, I've renamed SaiD0BAC.pr0 as SaiD0BAC.pr0.bak.

That's it! Simply reboot your system and now you'll be able to use the Mode Switch outside of the SST profile editor software.

*For the X52/X52 Pro, the mouse controller and scroll wheel is also effected and should work using this fix.