Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

Building a new rig - Any good walk through videos?

I wasn't sure where I should post this. I am going to assemble a new 9900k system while I am at home more over the next few weeks. I have designed many systems, but I always have them assembled by a shop.

One thing to note - I am not a handy person

Are there any good videos that provide step by step instructions on how to assemble a higher end system? I have watched a few, but I was wondering if there is a really good one I should check out.

Thanks

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

This one seemed decent

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 3/23/2020 at 10:13 PM, duckbilled said:

Are there any good videos that provide step by step instructions on how to assemble a higher end system?

Choosing components: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_DcWgxMZ3k

How to test parts before the build: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9206E_rOduU

How to build: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hK51upU5bkU

What to do when you’ve built it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYoCXh2gtw

Always make sure you earth yourself before handling electronic components (or, better still, use an anti static wrist band).

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I recently built my first ever PC, and I found YouTube videos describing installation of specific components to be very helpful. The important part for me was to take my time, and make sure that I was doing everything properly and carefully.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks all.

I have one of the anti static wrist bands on the way. I think the software freaks me out the most (what do I do with the bios, for example). I have done some OC'ing using presets. My last system (I7-920) had a very common MOBO/CPU/RAM combo, so I was able to use settings provided by NickN. They worked on the first try and were stable for 5+ years.

Also, I'm not sure what the best way is to maximize airflow. I was thinking that the Kraken would be on top blowing out and well as the rear fan. Front fans will pull air in.

I also realized that the mobo drivers are on a disk, so I had to order an external DVD drive. Wife won't let me go to Microcenter, so I'll have to wait until Saturday for the drive and the wristband to arrive from Amazon.

Here is the system:

• Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 3.6GHz Eight-Core LGA 1151 Boxed Processor
  • ASUS Z390 ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi Intel LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard
  • Thermaltake View 71 RGB ATX Full-Tower Computer Case - Black
    • A little more flashy than I wanted, but the case seems to be really clean on the inside,
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-32G - Black
  • 2x Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB SSD V-NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
    • I really wanted 1 2TB, but it was a lot more expensive than 2x 1TB
  • NZXT Kraken X63 280mm RGB Water Cooling Kit
  • Seasonic PRIME PX-1000, 1000W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode
  • ASUS ZenDrive Ultra Slim USB 2.0 External 8X DVD Optical Drive +/-RW with M-Disc Support for Windows and Mac and Nero BackItUp for Android Devices (SDRW-08U7M-U/BLK/G/AS) 

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I have one of those wristband things but never use it.  I'm not saying don't use one but I've never had an issue.

Are you going Windows 10 with this build?  I'd recommend it especially if you plan on the new MSFS.   You keeping your 1080Ti as well?  I have that card and love it!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

9 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I have one of those wristband things but never use it.  I'm not saying don't use one but I've never had an issue.

Are you going Windows 10 with this build?  I'd recommend it especially if you plan on the new MSFS.   You keeping your 1080Ti as well?  I have that card and love it!

Yes, this one is Windows 10 pro, and yes, I'm keeping the 1080TI. I'm going to reinstall my old GTX980 in my old system. Seems like an easy way to save money.