Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

HP's 'Next Generation' SteamVR Headset With Microsoft

MSFS202 should be the flagship VR game for this headset.

• Upvote 3

This clearly shows that MS did not abandon the VR market! I guess they would not participate in the development of a new hardware if they would not believe that this is the future.

I take this as a good sign! Let’s see what MS can do to push VR to a new level.

New nVidia driver features like VRSS (Variable Rate Supersampling) and DLSS (Deep-Learrning Super-Sampling) could also make it possible to use VR with lower-end (and cheaper) hardware.

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

I predicted back in the beginning that Microsoft was going to introduce a new VR headset, possibly based on the Hololens augmented reality concepts.  This new VR system that was just announced is not that, but Microsoft is indeed looking at the next generation of VR headsets.  

It's interesting that Valve is involved, and HP is the obvious choice for high resolution.  It's going to be interesting.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Great news! Sold my Samsung Odyssey waiting for next generation. (heat, resolution etc.)

On 3/24/2020 at 2:13 PM, LHookins said:

I predicted back in the beginning that Microsoft was going to introduce a new VR headset, possibly based on the Hololens augmented reality concepts.  This new VR system that was just announced is not that, but Microsoft is indeed looking at the next generation of VR headsets.  

It's interesting that Valve is involved, and HP is the obvious choice for high resolution.  It's going to be interesting.

Hook

Valve's involvement is what makes this VERY interesting. The HTC Vive was codeveloped by HTC and Valve, with Valve doing most of the heavy lifting regarding the technical side, and it was and still is a great headset. The new HTC headsets are basically word not allowed from what i'm reading and they were developed solely by HTC.

Microsoft and Valve makes me really curious on what tracking solution they will use. SteamVR? WMR? Some sort of merge? Maybe they're collaborating on a new inside-out tracking technology?

• Like 1

So excited for this. Combining the awesome audio of the Index, the display resolution of the OG Reverb (with anti-mura and less chromatic aberration), adjustable IPD, and two additional tracking cameras will make this the ultimate flight simulation VR headset. And at native settings, it will likely strain hardware about as hard as the Rift S at 1.7 SS. Now c'mon Asobo! Please give us VR in the initial release! Especially with the cockpit isolation techniques mentioned by Jorg Neumann here:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/microsoft-flight-simulator/virtual-reality

That will likely improve performance and reduce annoying visual artifacts like rotating clouds and unnaturally huge stars (thinking of XP11 here).

-Elliot

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Intel Core i9 10900k @ 5.1 GHz / Asus Maximus Hero XII / Nvidia RTX 3090 FE / 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16-16-16-36 / Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB NVMe / Noctua NH-D15 / EVGA Supernova 1600 T2 / Honeycomb Alpha Yoke / CH Pro Pedals / Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant / HP Reverb G2