Sign in to follow this  
Pluto7777

ORBX still needed ?

Hi , i read on FB messages about better framerate when deleting ORBX. I have ORBX for 4 years now, has it really become old-fashioned ? I can read stories of better performance and not such a big differences without it when flying airliners and no VFR... opinions ?

Broad brush statements such as "better framerate when deleting ORBX" are pretty much meaningless, when such a statement could be applied to any scenery or aircraft enhancement. If I was looking for intelligent and informed advice on how to get the best from a flight simulator, "FB" stories would not even be on my list of ports of call.

It is a simple fact that the less that you ask a simulator to do, the better it will perform. If "flying" at 37,000 pretend feet and fretting about the numbers in the top left hand corner of the screen, then no one is looking at the virtual ground and it really does not matter what is there. On that basis, if obsessed by the frame rate, it would make sense to minimise the simulator workload by disabling any enhancements. Uninstalling things to test the effect is pointless and deleting them just causes problems.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

duplicate, apologies

Edited by Reader

For the best framerates : no Addons at all. Just a vanilla P3D.

The more you add the less FPS ...

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

It's like your car: the more people and baggage you stuff in the less it will perform. Easy as that.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

3 hours ago, Pluto7777 said:

Hi , i read on FB messages about better framerate when deleting ORBX. I have ORBX for 4 years now, has it really become old-fashioned ? I can read stories of better performance and not such a big differences without it when flying airliners and no VFR... opinions ?

Are you referring to ORBX regions or Global add-ons?

A few things to consider:

1) ORBX FTXG & LC have little to no effect on your fps and it makes the sim look significantly better both day and night. Even the regions are only affected in large cities, with lots of AG, AI traffic or airports. Most regions have a utility to disable scenery objects for better fps.

2) What will have a dramatic effect on your fps is your add-on airports. Depending on the quality it will affect fps. Read feedback on FT Boston or Toronto. Most airports now come with a utility to lower the settings to get better fps.

3) The more complex and realistic the airplane the worst the fps. Read feedback on performance of the F1 Citation Mustang. A little airplane that's an fps hog.

4) Do you want dynamic weather or static weather? Well guess what, weather will have a dramatic effect on the sim's fps.

5) Your sim setting will also affect the performance. Lower settings yields better performance.

So the answer to your question is DON'T delete ORBX. Even the best and latest hardware can't tame a fully loaded P3D v4.5. 

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Ok, thx  -  as airbus lover i do not have too may addons  ORBX -  FSUIPC -  FS2Crew  - GSX  - ASCA.

and indeed some airports

PC is   W10 i7 -  GTX980ti  -  SSD 

But when i fly on vatsim with my FSLabs airbus, my FPS sometimes drops from  20  to  7 - 8  fps  then its difficult to stay connected on vatsim  isnt it..     ;-(   ;-(

@DJJose:  in scenery list i always check off the airports that i am not using on a flight - so i guess there are no negative fsp effects then ?

One answer would be to revert to the default scenery.cfg and/or add-ons.cfg file when flying on vatsim.

55 minutes ago, Pluto7777 said:

Ok, thx  -  as airbus lover i do not have too may addons  ORBX -  FSUIPC -  FS2Crew  - GSX  - ASCA.

and indeed some airports

PC is   W10 i7 -  GTX980ti  -  SSD 

But when i fly on vatsim with my FSLabs airbus, my FPS sometimes drops from  20  to  7 - 8  fps  then its difficult to stay connected on vatsim  isnt it..     ;-(   ;-(

@DJJose:  in scenery list i always check off the airports that i am not using on a flight - so i guess there are no negative fsp effects then ?

In this case your computer is not capable of handling the load imposed on it by the FSLabs aircraft. That airplane requires a decent video card like a 1070 or better and you will probably need to lower your settings.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

ORBX is just fine with a somewhat newer graphics card. FSL A320 is really heavy on CPU because of all the systems modelling. On my 7-year old PC, I also get very low (<10 fps) frame rates with it, even though I have an updated graphics card. That's the reason why I prefer the Aerosoft A320, where frame rates stay above 15 fps even when I fly to heavily populated areas like Aerosoft EDDF with ORBX Germany installed. 

Peter

19 minutes ago, Pluto7777 said:

Thx guys, so i ll look out for a better GPU !

You have just hit the nail on the head, all to often users stop flying and go for i.candy that comes at a price. I get the feeling that some are OTT for MSFS not for flying but for i.candy.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

5 hours ago, Pluto7777 said:

Thx guys, so i ll look out for a better GPU !

That won't necessarily make as big a difference to performance as you may expect.

An i7 what?
Overclocked? Hyperthreading turned off? Processes moved away from core 0?

CPU is still the most important component.
There's a big difference between a 4-core, standard speed i7-6700 and an 8-core, o/c'd i7-9700K.

A stronger GPU will allow you to make things look nicer, e.g. higher quality shadows, higher quality dynamic reflections, dynamic lighting, higher quality anti-aliasing (SSAA vs MSAA)...

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I would rename the topic to "Major ORBX Base + Vector Revamp is Needed Very Badly". 

An extremely weird and mostly inaccurate statement. I have a computer that is 4+ years old, with 8 gigs of (System!)-Ram. I have all of the Orbx basic stuff plus a good number of their airports. I see almost no impact on frame rates, except what you would expect from a detailed addon airport. 

To  be honest, my sense is that 90% of the folks who whine and complain about performance are themselves to blame. Yeah, sorry, you're not going to get 60 fps flying into high density areas with all sliders to the right. Then there are the folks who constantly mess around with their sim, or follow these funny "P3D set up and installation guides" that float around avsim.

Orbx, IMHO, is a top shelf developer, installation of their stuff is a breeze (if you're having problems, you didn't follow the installation instructions), and the fact that they frequently offer deep discounts, makes buying their addons a no-brainer.

• Like 1