Sign in to follow this  
Yannou073

FSX freezes after about 4 hrs

Good morning,

my problem is very strange and nowhere i found a kind of solution, i am going to explain you very clearly what's happen, while flying long haul, after about 4 hours of flight with the PMDG 777 ( the 5 times it happened it was with this aircraft ), the sim freezes for 1 minute then go again for 5 sec then freezes again for 1 min then go again for 5 sec, ... ect

a strange thing is it doesn't move a lot when it is freezing, but the fuel continues to drop at the normal rate... it is so strange i have never seen that before....

and this is doing that for each flights now... and I have to restart the sim

I tried to reinstall windows at a date it wasn't doing that ( a week ago) but it continues, so I don't know...

please help me, i am so sad not being able to fly ...

thanks a lot

Yann

I'd say you are probably running out of available memory for FSX.  As designed, FSX is a 32-bit program, so it can only use a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, this is known as the virtual address space or VAS.  If you have a 32-bit operating system, which allows only 4 GB, FSX plus the operating system will quickly fill all 4 GB.  If you have a 64-bit operating system and 6 or more GB of RAM, FSX will still only use 4 GB.  The boxed versions of FSX are the worst when it comes to how they manage their limited use of RAM, FSX-Steam Edition is actually more efficient at releasing blocks of RAM that it is no longer using and keeping as much of its 4 GB of RAM actually usable.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

2 hours ago, Yannou073 said:

Okay I see, and what would you suggest me to do than ?

I agree with @stans comment about the memory issue. The only solution to this is to abandon FSX and use a 64-bit platform, like P3Dv4.+. You'll get also a lot better and modern simulator.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

You can also ensure that the only scenery activated are the two airports you're flying between.  Note that any scenery with photoreal textures will be loaded when you load into FSX regardless of where in the world they are, making the advice to deactivate any scenery except the two airports you're flying between a really, really good idea in FSX.

You can also fly to the halfway point, save your flight, close and restart FSX and launch into the saved flight.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Okay thanks everybody, I will stay anyway on FSX for now, but for the future, why not trying P3D.

thanks dave i will try that

and any other ideas ? because I have never seen that problem on forums.... so I am openmind to any ideas

Are you using any weather add-on? Because I used to have the same problem (not only with PMDG planes) and closing the add-on resolved it.
Now, I use the add-on only for flights up to 3 hrs and use the standard FSX weather for longer flights.

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.

Any add-on scenery, weather, or other enhancement such as photoscenery is going to occupy the VAS, so turning off everything that is not essential to your flight will free up VAS.  As I previously stated, the original (boxed versions) of FSX were very poor at managing the VAS, leaving bits of information such as add-on scenery that you had already overflown and were no longer within visual range in the VAS.  FSX also addressed VAS in contiguous blocks, so if FSX has 4GB of VAS available, then filled 3.5GB, then freed 0.5GB during operation, but the freed spaces were only in 0.1GB blocks scattered across your RAM, then it needed to load 0.7GB of data/scenery, it failed to load because even though there was 1GB VAS available, none of the available blocks was a contiguous 0.7GB.  FSX Steam Edition fixed this issue, so for anyone considering installing FSX, I highly recommend the Steam Edition.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.