Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

Little NavMap Remote setup - challenges

After three days of attempting to setup an older laptop which I now upgraded as a client so I can offload some P3D addons to it to lessen the load on my main PC (now the server), I thought I would first start with Little NavMap. Thankfully I received a great deal of help from someone from the AVSIM P3D Forum.

All now seems to be working well with LNM operating on the client laptop - here is one (two-part) question that I cannot figure out...

I have denoted Active Sky as the weather source in the Weather Tab, but I do not see a way to denote a path to C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Hifi\AS_P3Dv4\Weather\current_wx_snapshot.txt in order to obtain live updates. Two part question:

1. Does LNM somehow get updated weather from P3D running on my main (server) PC?

2. Is there a way to get that wx_snapshot.txt file shared?

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Hi Dane,

13 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

1. Does LNM somehow get updated weather from P3D running on my main (server) PC?

Weather should be displayed from P3D if you choose "Simulator" as a weather source in the options dialog. But don't do this for airport weather symbols ("Weather" -> "Airport Weather source"). The symbols overload (sort of) the SimConnect and this results in a lot of stutters and freezes in LNM. Known issue. Tooltips and info weather should work.

13 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

2. Is there a way to get that wx_snapshot.txt file shared?

You can change the path to the snapshot file in options on page "Weather" in LNM.  Then you can read the remote weather if you share the folder on the network or if you share the files it using a cloud.

Share the files "activeflightplanwx.txt" and "current_wx_snapshot.txt" in "C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\Hifi\AS_P3Dv4\Weather\" or the whole folder.

Alex

Thanks Alex, I will test out your suggestions and report back.

Dane

Regards, Dane

Alex, your suggestion works really great.

I shared both files in my network and I insert the path to "current_wx_snapshot.txt" in the Tools\Options\Weather\Active Sky Weather File:

Also I verified the results with what Active Sky was reporting and they are a perfect match.

Thanks again you always seem to have the answers.

Edited by Dane Watson

Regards, Dane

Alex, I have discovered another issue which is very strange - Under Scenery Library on the top file menu drop downs P3D v4 has the blue dot denoted that choice.  But when I go to Load Scenery Library in the Simulator drop down it is greyed out and it indicates X-Plane 11 and I have no way to get the P3D v4 choice in there.

What I am trying to do now is to run the Load Scenery Library - I have shared the P3D location from my main PC.

I don't understand why it indicates X-Plane 11?

When I look at Show Database Files there is a "little_navmap_p3dv4_sqlite" file as well as a "little_navmap_xp11_sqlite" file.  I keep deleting it but everytime I close LNM and reopen, the xp11 file is there.

Edited by Dane Watson

Regards, Dane

Hi Dane,

this is correct. LNM detects the P3D Sqlite Database which was copied from the flying computer to the remote. Therefore, you can select it in the menu and use it. But you cannot load it since there is no simulator installation on the client. There is no need to load it on the client.

You don't have to share the P3D scenery across the network. Simply load it using LNM on the flying computer and then copy the Sqlite database over to the remote computer. This file is ready-to-use and does not require any reloading on the remote computer.

X-Plane is always shown since it comes without an installer and there are no registry entries to detect its presence reliably.
You can ignore the XP database file. LNM creates an empty dummy file just in case.

Alex

Thank you Alex, I now understand.

Regards, Dane