Sign in to follow this  
OriginalGood

Marketplace in FS2020

Bandwidth costs money and since we will stream a lot of data, it seems almost obvious that in some way we have to pay for this. Just paying 100 bucks for the development and then year after year data streaming is not going to work. 

I'm willing to pay yearly subscription but I want a nice SDK and a beautiful marketplace.

On 3/31/2020 at 4:32 PM, mp15 said:

and I want to be able to see other users aircraft live in game even if I dont have that specific model. 

This line item from the Alpha build might interest you.  Player Representation – Anyone using your plane will show up in the same aircraft as yours – if they are using a different aircraft than yours, they will appear as a “generic” aircraft.

This is Alpha, so things could change.

well I hope it changes or it will be a huge disappointment for me, it is just an animated .gIFT geometry, people should be able to see all sort of aircraft from other members even if they don't own it or have it installed. is it that hard to deploy ?

7 hours ago, mp15 said:

well I hope it changes or it will be a huge disappointment for me, it is just an animated .gIFT geometry, people should be able to see all sort of aircraft from other members even if they don't own it or have it installed. is it that hard to deploy ?

Looking forward to seeing a fly-by of a column of flying penises every time I log in.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Kopteeni said:

Looking forward to seeing a fly-by of a column of flying penises every time I log in.

Just grease the landing and it'll be ok.

• Like 1

Matthew S

15 hours ago, mp15 said:

people should be able to see all sort of aircraft from other members even if they don't own it or have it installed. is it that hard to deploy ?

There are a couple issues.  One is that everytime a 3rd party dev, big or small, updates or adds a plane, then everyone has to download it.  Even those people that will never see it.  That is extra bandwidth usage.  And it will delay the sim startup.  And people will question why, and be unhappy with that.

Next is each plane uses some 100-200MB, possibly more in the new sim.  With just ten planes you are up to a gig or two. 100 planes is 10GB.  That may not seem like much to you, but some people are working with 250GB drives.  And some people would rather the space be used for terrain.

And they would have to secure the files, so people can't pull assets out of them.  And people will try modify them to make them flyable, even if you didn't include the cockpit and flight model.

On the other hand I can also understand the desire that everyone sees the same planes.  And if you buy a fancy plane, you want people to see it.  Maybe a setting that can be turned on or off, that allows you to see all 3rd party planes.

19 hours ago, mp15 said:

people should be able to see all sort of aircraft from other members even if they don't own it or have it installed.

The only way I see this happen is to have some sort of (lower quality) AI aircraft library, and a way to uniquely identify both aircraft model and livery.
This way, one doesn't need to have the actual aircraft installed, just a basic model and lots of liveries. It's probably easier on the framerates too.

Edited by orchestra_nl
clarification

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, GlideBy said:

That is extra bandwidth usage.  And it will delay the sim startup.  

Next is each plane uses some 100-200MB, possibly more in the new sim.

Internet must be demanding to play, if you want to pre cache a trail is ok.

.gIFT files are very light, it is like a JPG 3D and that I why this format was created, if you are in Windows load 3D viewr and check the size of assets that come with it.

Of course, a plane 3D while on craft, is hundreds of megabytes but a baked .gIFT with animations should be under 100kb. I'm not sure about avionics through web assembly though.

I don't mind waiting 5 minutes each time I load the game if this guarantee the possibility to see all planes the sim met published on the marketplace.

Just now, orchestra_nl said:

The only way I see this happen is to have some sort of (lower quality) 

I stopped reading your post right there.

9 hours ago, mp15 said:

I stopped reading your post right there.

Too bad because by doing so you missed perhaps the only way your wish could become true

Edited by orchestra_nl
grammar

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5