Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Rock crawling anyone? Hope this is ok in Hangar Chat

I believe in the UK we are still allowed into our gardens or yards as an extension of our homes, but no passing brews over the fence to the neighbours and common sense physical distancing rules apply:

Behold - a little rockery - not for plants but for radio controlled vehicles. Here's my old Axial AX10 Scorpion and new FTX Ravine on the rocks, with the FTX Outback (green Land Rover) looking on. The Zombie Outbreak Response Team Tamiya Lunchbox is standing by... because ..one never knows... :ph34r:

3pQnviI.jpg

2yP7RO5.jpg

MYl6EEB.jpg

j0GAXOV.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

As we are still allowed to go out for some exercise in the UK at the moment, I went out on the trail a couple of miles from where I live. Strange when the person has to carry the vehicle to get to the chosen location! :biggrin:

This track is not just a farm track it's a Bridleway Open to All Traffic i.e. a green lane i.e. 1:1 scale vehicles can drive up and down it and I've done so a few times back when I owned a Discovery 2 :cool:.

The water was too deep for this little one!

JvjJPp9.jpg

Picking the easy line.

gS8Za8z.jpg

It'll take me a good hour at least to walk back if I turn around here..

ZdGzp5y.jpg

Some UK glider pilots might recognise this as the east bowl of Parlick..

5fJzPJw.jpg

I didn't meet a soul whilst out on the moor, only a couple of people walking their dogs on the main road (social distancing applied..) and three vehicles including a Royal Mail van.. 

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Yea we've got one, my daughter loves it. We have a great backyard on a steep bank for it too

Matthew Kane

Looks like fun. Used to have a couple of full sized ones of those (Series 2A and Series 3 Land Rovers). They were gas guzzlers, even when fitted with an overdrive, but they were great fun.

On the subject of RC things, I might see if there's nobody about on the fields nearby to me and take my radio control helicopter (MD500) on there for a spin this weekend since the weather is allegedly going to be nice.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

18 hours ago, HighBypass said:

As we are still allowed to go out for some exercise in the UK at the moment, I went out on the trail a couple of miles from where I live. 

We are allowed to go out. For excercise. Walking, running, cycling etc.. Dont think that means playing with RC cars though.

It's also supposed to be local, around the block etc. Not two miles away.

Just saying in case Mr Plod tells you off.

That includes Mr Choks helicopters too. 

But awesome fun though. 😁

Edited by martin-w

Actually, there'd be no problem with me going out flying that chopper. doing so wouldn't be transgressing the edicts with regard to social distancing although obviously if I thought that doing so would bring me into contact with other people, I would not do so. Obviously, common sense plays a big part in the interpretation of those rules.

The large field nearby to me is approximately 200 yards away from my house. I can and do go and walk around it sometimes, and there is no ruling which says I can't take my RC chopper down there and fly it about a bit whilst I'm walking to there there and then around the field to get some exercise, providing of course that it isn't making it hard for anyone else to exercise there, which is unlikely since it is a very big field.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

I'm sorry but I'm not allowing it. And if I catch you I will confiscate your helicopters. 😁

The restrictions do say specifically exercise. So I'm sure if Mr Policeman caught you playing with your chopper (sounds dodgy) he wouldnt be regarding your time standing still twiddling the knobs on your remote as exercise. I mean if it's just 200 yards away, you will be there and back in seconds, so the vast majority of your time wont be spent exercising at all.

It's clearly something that's open to interpretation. And the cops are being quite reasonable, so far.

However, a senior police officer has just said that unless people stop defying the rules we may see road blocks to check where people are going and supermarket shopping being checked to ensure they are essential items.

Think the public would go bonkers if that transpired.

Edited by martin-w

Oh yeah, it's getting a bit mental. I just queued up at Morrisons for a bit of shopping. That sort of thing would perhaps normally take maybe half an hour, but on this occasion it took two and a half hours lol. Still, as I pointed out to someone whom I was chatting with in the queue, it's not as if we'll be late for work.

Funnily enough, there are indeed some people who just don't get it - there was some annoying bloke in the queue (you know the type, he thinks his mobile phone is in fact a megaphone and insists on carrying out his conversation at 130 dB into the thing) and he kept standing right next to me in the queue (and I mean at an - even under normal circumstances let alone during the present difficulties - personal-space invading distance of less than a foot away from me), all whilst making that racket. Until that is, I asked him: 'what part of two metres is it that you don't understand?'

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Actually, there'd be no problem with me going out flying that chopper. ...

As long as you have registered it with the CAA, unless it's under 250g in weight..:tongue: (AFAIC CAA can KMA over that shenanigans). If I was to find a private field near where I live and bung the landowner a bit of cash for the privilege, then no worries: Any full size aircraft interfering with my flying in my locality would be crashing anyway!

I would hope the registration idea has died a death seeing as there's worse things to be dealing with right now than classing anyone who flies a traditional line-of-sight model (no data collecting devices) as a terrorist who will fly it into a GE90 the first chance they get... :laugh:

MD500 - good looking whirlybird - which brand is it, Al?

Devils advocate - a person is still allowed to take their dog out to an open field 200 yards from their house, correct? When that person does so, all they do is chuck the ball or the stick about and let the dog do the running :biggrin:

Back to the thread, my 1:10th scale limb risers arrived in the post today, mini Defender looks great. :cool:

Mark Robinson

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Dont think that means playing with RC cars though..

I live in a rural area, as can be seen from the photos. Define the size of "the block". I'm still walking with the RC vehicle at the same time as playing with it. It's not a high speed basher where I'd stand in one spot and blast it around a skatepark or bmx track..

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

47 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

I live in a rural area, as can be seen from the photos. Define the size of "the block". I'm still walking with the RC vehicle at the same time as playing with it. It's not a high speed basher where I'd stand in one spot and blast it around a skatepark or bmx track..

They actually say "close to your home". Certainly not 2 miles away. It's all down to interpretation, but the government want us to stay at home unless its essential to go out. That means grocery, medical needs, and exercise close to home. They really don't mean travelling 2 miles away to have fun with RC cars. Whether that's enforceable by law, I'm not sure.

You may have seen the stuff in the news, where people were going for walks in the peak district and being filmed by a police. 

a person is still allowed to take their dog out to an open field 200 yards from their house, correct? When that person does so, all they do is chuck the ball or the stick about and let the dog do the running

Doggy need poo poo though. And to wee up someones hedge. 

Sorry to divert your thread, I know you are a responsible person, but worth pointing out.

We are getting off quite lightly at the moment. In Australia I think it was, a women was fined $1500 for taking her daughter on a driving lesson. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Just now, martin-w said:

...They really don't mean travelling 2 miles away to have fun with RC cars. 

You may have seen the stuff in the news, where people were going for walks in the peek district and being filmed by a police..

Thank you for your measured reply, Martin. This is Hangar Chat and I see no reason why threads can't go off on a bit of a tangent (especially one of my threads). Of course I'm going to be a bit defensive about one of my interests - we all are.

Wee up someone's hedge - yep Dogs certainly do that.. and wee on anything else they can mark their territory :biggrin:

My emphasis on your quote. I will point out that I walked from my house to the location I took the pictures, I didn't drive and then park up. I strongly suspect that the walkers in the Peak district and elsewhere have actually driven to that location rather than beginning their exercise from their house.

I note that people are still cycling out and about - and again I suspect that they will be cycling far more than a couple of miles.This is just my conjecture, no actual proof , but if a cyclist is dressed up in lycra with the associated "professional" attire then they would not be riding around the estate where they live..

No doubt the Govt. will review the situation.

Mark Robinson

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Funnily enough, there are indeed some people who just don't get it -

Yep, most bonkers thing I've read was from Greater Manchester Police. They had to shut down 660 parties! 494 house parties - some with DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles - and 166 street parties.

Apologies again for diverting the thread. I'll shut up now and play COD Warzone.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

I note that people are still cycling out and about - and again I suspect that they will be cycling far more than a couple of miles.This is just my conjecture, no actual proof , but if a cyclist is dressed up in lycra with the associated "professional" attire then they would not be riding around the estate where they live..

Fair points. Think it was Johnson that said close to home. 

Just found this. This is what Gove said. All very non specific. If its the "standard length of walk you would have ordinarily have done" that could be anything, 2 miles if you like. And "common sense comes into play" re time spent outside could be interpreted how you like. 

Just say you ALWAYS walk two miles, with RC cars a company cus you get scared on your own and RC cars cant catch Covid. 👍

Think you will be fine. I take it back. 👍

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/health/exercise-rules-coronavirus-uk-running-3989996

How long can I be outside for?

There is no set timescale on how long you can be outside for, however, it shouldn’t be for an excessive period of time; common sense comes into play here.

Government guidance says that even when you’re out exercising, you should be minimising the time spent outside of your home and ensuring you are two metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

Michael Gove explained that “people can go for the standard length of run or walk that they ordinarily would have done” and emphasised that the important thing is that they limit it to once a day.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

I do see an argument in the whole "minimising the time spent outside", but we're OK... for now. I'm fortunate that thanks to the lockdown I only met a few people on the route (social distancing politely applied by all!) and no one out on the moor. Had this been a normal day I think there would have been more people out on the track. Certainly on the weekends I took the full size Disco 2 down there I did meet a fair few ramblers.

No need to take anything back - this is certainly a useful discussion.:cool:

Emotional Support RC vehicles - it's the future!! :biggrin:

Another bit of irony. The other day I had to drive to the next town for shopping and getting some things to my elderly parents.Given that it was a Monday, ordinarily I would have been on my home bound commute down that road at that time of day. I saw more pedestrians and cyclists than I would have seen under normal circumstances. I guess it's somewhat understandable given that lots of people are not working... what else should they do given that we can still go out for reasons already outlined. :cool:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson