Sign in to follow this  
cyyzrwy24

How to "remove" snow from Canada!?

I have so many things installed that made things bit complicated.....I do have FT CYYZ but not sure that is the problem. In FT Config I did set up correct month (I choose may), but I still have a snow on Airport itself and  whole northern part of NA, currently flying CYYZ EGLL. So I guess that's not the case, In P3D settings I have Spring...so that doesn't help either.....I did install few week ago FS RealTime but not sure what that has to do with the snow and season.....AS is in live mode and clearly there is no Snow on the ground.....Last thing that I DIDN'T check is ORBX....and I am not sure if there is setting available to change season....

Anyone has advice?

Thanks

Alex 

I move the date until there is no snow.Today am flying out of ESGG heading south to checkout Africa. Snow today but am tired of snow so I found no snow on April 1. I think how late the snow stays around has to do with the latitude and longitude.

• Like 1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

1 hour ago, reecemj said:

I move the date until there is no snow.Today am flying out of ESGG heading south to checkout Africa. Snow today but am tired of snow so I found no snow on April 1. I think how late the snow stays around has to do with the latitude and longitude.

I P3D? It says spring though....LOL didn't thought of that have to admit.....LOL

Alex 

I do believe it’s related to actual date and not season unless you are using simelite season manager. Then it’s related to the most recent season bgl file downloaded.

Edited by JasonPC

It's been about 10 years since I made a seasons.bgl (and that was the FSX SDK mind you) but as I recall (and as mentioned by others in this thread) snow cover is determined by the seasons.bgl file.  There are 5 seasons (not 4), and one of them is called "Hard Winter".  HW has snow.  The seasons.bgl is independent of what the P3D dialog will tell you (it might say "Spring" but the seasons.bgl for your location may still be coded for hard winter at your location).

I'm not sure if anything has changed with the seasons.bgl's with P3D.  Doesn't sound like it, from what you describe.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

55 minutes ago, Mace said:

There are 5 seasons (not 4), and one of them is called "Hard Winter"

Thanks Rhett....where do I found those...? Also, can I delete one winter? Or that doesn't make any sense....Or I should just move to summer and "get" spring,,,,

Alex 

Just change the date to mid April or after and you should be good to go.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

5 hours ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Thanks Rhett....where do I found those...? Also, can I delete one winter? Or that doesn't make any sense....Or I should just move to summer and "get" spring,,,,

Yes I would do as Dave suggests, it's the easiest.  Also the Simelite Seasons Manager JasonPC mentions might be good to look into, although I don't own that add-on.

Here is a link to the Seasons Manager:

https://simelite.com/seasonmanager.php

You can see on their page how there is "Winter" and "Hard Winter" and that sets the snow.  One other thing...there is also an occurrence in the sim where, if it is snowing where you are, sometimes the sim will add snow to the terrain, even if the local area is only "Winter" and not "Hard Winter" in the seasons.bgl.  I never have figured out under what conditions the sim does this.

If you really want to make your own seasons.bgl you can.  I made a scenery for fsx a long time ago that had a custom seasons.bgl, but in my opinion it is not easy to create one.  I don't know if the P3D SDK method is different, but with the FSX SDK, you had to literally paint (using a paint program) certain colors on a background and the compiler would read the color(s) and then set the appropriate seasonal flags for various locations.  Since my old FSX scenery custom season still works in P3D, I assume the way you make a seasons.bgl is still the same.  It looks like Simelite Seasons Manager does that for you in a much easier way.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

And if you aren't satisfied with the real life seasons in SSM, you can create your own local seasons by using their online editor.

If the season is changed from what is normally in FSX/P3D, does that also apply to airports that have a photoreal ground? I ask because as far as I know, the season type is defined in the photo real .bgl file, and for each month separately. This might lead to landclass and photo real showing different seasons, if the season for the landclass is changed. Or not?

Edit: Never mind, I just read up on SimElite's season tool. It "works around" it by creating an area around the airport add-on in question, and in that area the season reverts to default.

Edited by d.tsakiris

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else