Sign in to follow this  

Not FS related - but maybe you can help.

Guest allblack

Morning all.Something different here.Next March I'm taking my family, including a 22-month toddler to the Gold Coast in Australia from NZ.I haven't been overseas since 1983 when I was 17, so my knowledge of international travel is zilch, especially with young children.So....instead of taking a "she'll be right" attitude, I'm looking to become a bit more travelling savvy. Parental responsibility maybe?To this end, does anyone know of websites that have information for novice, "virgin" international travellers, maybe full of hints and tips that people have learned from experience? And I mean basic. For example, should you collect your luggage at a stop-over point, or does it automatically get forwarded to the next plane???Being a simmer, I already have a better-than-average knowledge of the aviation business; it's the travelling side of things I'm really stuck on.Be grateful for any help/advice.CheersTimNZWN

Print out as much stuff about the trip as you can. Start getting the hipe going now. Mail for brochures to the tourist areas. That's what I did. Make the trip fun. See if there are any web site that talk about where you are going. Go for it man. Google.JimCYWG

Guest panda234

This dosn't answer your question directly, but learn about the history of the country and the area you're going to. Lot's of websites have a one page blurb but try and do more if you can. It really helps put things in context when you get there and you'll appreciate it all a lot more. You can easily get overwhelmed when you arrive so having "slots" to put info into can be a big help and immensely rewarding. billg

>Next March I'm taking my family, including a 22-month toddler>to the Gold Coast in Australia from NZ.>That's not really international :)>To this end, does anyone know of websites that have>information for novice, "virgin" international travellers,>maybe full of hints and tips that people have learned from>experience? >Never heard of any. Just use common sense and you should be alright.>And I mean basic. For example, should you collect your luggage>at a stop-over point, or does it automatically get forwarded>to the next plane???>Depends on the airline and airport. If you remain on the same airline, usually you're alright (but some countries demand all luggage be collected and rechecked on point of entry, so again ask at original checkin).