Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Buying 3 while they are on sale...need help

Hey Carenado fliers!

I have a few Carenado planes already bought throughout the years...but want to pickup 3 more at the sale on until the 29th (tomorrow).

I want to stick to the under $15 models as I'm going to pick up 3.

I already have the TBM, B200, Falcon 50, CJ2 and Caravan....and A2A 182 and Comanche for my pistons.

Looking to get the PC12, Cheyenne II, and the Premier .....maybe the Citation S 550 and 690B TURBO COMMANDER. 

Looking for pros and cons for my possible list and suggestions for others not mentioned if you have a fav not listed.

I have the RXP GTN 750 I'd be incorporating into the airframes...any tips/potholes encountered would also be helpful. 🙂

Thanks guys!

Edited by Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I'd suggest the Beechcraft D18S. At $17.48, it is just slightly outside of your 15 bucks criteria, but only just. It can incorporate the Flight1 GTN 750 and Reality XP GNS530 (and others with a little bit of jiggery pokery). I think it is one of Carenado's better efforts and is of course modeled after one of the most attractive and prolific twins ever built, and one which still flies in large numbers even today since it has a useful load capacity, decent turn of speed and a good service ceiling of 26,000 feet or so. It's also featured in my later Chock's Hangar vid (currently uploading to youtube as I type) as the aeroplane used to demonstrate an add-on radio product, so if you watch that it'll give you a look at the cockpit and specifically, the default Bendix and Garmin avionics since it is a video about radio add-ons.

The Cessna 337H Skymaster is another one I'd recommend. It's nicely done and again has capability to incorporate TPD avionics. At $10.49 it is well inside your price criteria. Like the Beech Model 18, the 337H is a very useful aeroplane in terms of performance and with its unusual engine layout, is something a little different to have in your virtual hangar. since you like doing repaints, it is one ripe for that too, with some people even 'faking' repaints to give the appearance of it being the Oscar Duece variant used by the USAF for FAC and Psyops duties, chiefly in Vietnam.

If you like your fancy avionics, you might also consider one of the Carenado models which can use their simulated Synthetic Vision avionics. Among the discounted aeroplanes which can use that, is their Diamond DA62, which whilst not as fancy as the Vertx one, is still very nice (I did a comparison between the two on my youtube channel if you are curious about the different merits of them). The Carenado DA62 is again just outside the 15 bucks range you set, but only by a little at $17.48, and like the above older classics I mentioned, the very different Diamond Twins are similarly unique compared to most regular piston twins, not least for having diesel engines and very fancy glass cockpits more like those found in airliners..

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 minutes ago, Chock said:

I'd suggest the Beechcraft D18S. At $17.48, it is just slightly outside of your 15 bucks criteria, but only just. It can incorporate the Flight1 GTN 750 and Reality XP GNS530 (and others with a little bit of jiggery pokery). I think it is one of Carenado's better efforts and is of course modeled after one of the most attractive and prolific twins ever built, and one which still flies in large numbers even today since it has a useful load capacity, decent turn of speed and a good service ceiling of 26,000 feet or so. It's also featured in my later Chock's Hangar vid (currently uploading to youtube as I type) as the aeroplane used to demonstrate an add-on radio product, so if you watch that it'll give you a look at the cockpit and specifically, the default Bendix and Garmin avionics since it is a video about radio add-ons.

The Cessna 337H Skymaster is another one I'd recommend. It's nicely done and again has capability to incorporate TPD avionics. At $10.49 it is well inside your price criteria. Like the Beech Model 18, the 337H is a very useful aeroplane in terms of performance and with its unusual engine layout, is something a little different to have in your virtual hangar. since you like doing repaints, it is one ripe for that too, with some people even 'faking' repaints to give the appearance of it being the Oscar Duece variant used by the USAF for FAC and Psyops duties, chiefly in Vietnam.

If you like your fancy avionics, you might also consider one of the Carenado models which can use their simulated Synthetic Vision avionics. Among the discounted aeroplanes which can use that, is their Diamond DA62, which whilst not as fancy as the Vertx one, is still very nice (I did a comparison between the two on my youtube channel if you are curious about the different merits of them). The Carenado DA62 is again just outside the 15 bucks range you set, but only by a little at $17.48, and like the above older classics I mentioned, the very different Diamond Twins are similarly unique compared to most regular piston twins, not least for having diesel engines and very fancy glass cockpits more like those found in airliners..

Thanks for the suggestions Chock!

Not really into early aviation aircraft, as nice as they are I just wouldn't fly them in the long run.

LOL....I seem to have more planes than I can remember...I currently have the 337 and forgot to list it.  I like her but have not flown her in ages.

I also have the Vertex DA..and enjoy flying her when I get on a GA kick and take a break from commercial flight.

Even though I'm an accomplished painter...I agree with my colleagues that Carenado planes are next to impossible to paint properly.  I've tried a few and don't wish to paint anymore unless they change how they lay out their texture maps.  If they just did that and focused on avionics and FDEs...they'd really be a premier company for GA flight (yeah I know....never going to happen).

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Yeah, I know what you mean concerning painting Carenado stuff. It's ironic that their paint kits seem to be so convoluted and difficult to use considering that the visuals are what they are famous for. I'm no slouch with Photoshop, being an Adobe Certified Instructor on it, but even I found it a right PITA to do a repaint of their C337H, and all I was doing was changing the colour and putting a different reg on the thing, which ordinarily most people could do in their sleep with a half decent paint kit!

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Looking to get the PC12, Cheyenne II, and the Premier .....maybe the Citation S 550 and 690B TURBO COMMANDER. 

Good choice if you go with the PC12, Cheyenne II and the S550!  Two other very nice ones are the C421 and the Seminole.

For the PC12 and the C421 you should download the FDE updates from Avsim.

3 hours ago, Chock said:

...and all I was doing was changing the colour and putting a different reg on the thing...

Thanks, Chock! If you're referring to my request for a fictional G-FACC of course. (Still love the bit of masking tape on the panel with the reg written on it! :cool: )

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)