Sign in to follow this  
Alan_A

Simmers Without Borders

Anyone contributing computer time to the Simmers Without Borders initiative?

I just started.  My flightsim computer is usually shut down during my workday, or idle if it's on.  So this seems like a pretty painless thing to do.

There's not a lot I can do to fight the pandemic beyond staying home.  Made sense to me to add one more task.

Anybody else?

I've had all four of my computers doing a genome study for the past ten years. Since learning of this initiative, I've re-tasked two of them full time to this activity. At least it makes more sense that "bitcoin mining!" 😇

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 minutes ago, n4gix said:

At least it makes more sense that "bit mining!" 😇

And there's that...!

• Like 1

Not using that specific one, I am on Folding at Home. But yes, my computer is being used for helping to fight Covid 19 (and other stuff too). I don't suppose it will make a massive difference, but it's better than making no difference at all by not doing it.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

6 minutes ago, Chock said:

Not using that specific one, I am on Folding at Home. But yes, my computer is being used for helping to fight Covid 19 (and other stuff too). I don't suppose it will make a massive difference, but it's better than making no difference at all by not doing it.

I believe Simmers Without Borders is a front-end for Folding at Home - at least, that's the client they point you to.  I think the Simmers Without Borders name is just a way of tracking the community response.

Agree that any one CPU or graphics card is unlikely to be decisive - but it's something.

Well, we would probably never know who's GPU cracked the riddle, but then that's not why we do it either! :)

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What are the credits offered for completed WU's? Is this some kind of competition?

I mean wouldn't a person joining this be doing it for no personal gain?

I'm confused. Doesn't take much these days.. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 3/29/2020 at 6:34 AM, HighBypass said:

What are the credits offered for completed WU's?

I was going on the assumption it was just a scorekeeping token - like the scoreboard in an arcade game.  Never though to ask if it was more than that.  I figure trying to get high score is enough.  Anything else, I'll let them surprise me. 😎

Found out there's one constraint, at least for me - my flightsim PC has no problem with it, but it chews up bandwidth, which is creating issue with my wife's workplace connection (the servers thare are having a hard time as it is).  So I'll have to limit myself to overnight runs.

Guess I've gotta give up on that high score after all...

• Like 1

Ah, makes sense, just a bit of friendly competition. Thank you.

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)