Sign in to follow this  
raspian300

Practical ATC solution with live AI

Now that we know how live traffic works, specially that it will be controlled by AI once its signal disconnects, let’s have some ideas, suggestions on how an ATC can be implemented on this layout. We have to keep in mind that the ATC must have ways to vector you in and out while avoiding any collision with the live traffic. 
I would think the only way to do that is to sacrifice some realism in here. The only live data implemented on the sim is the departure time, and AI takes over from that point on. In this case, the live routine routes can already be fed onto the sim, and just be loaded for each traffic. The take is that ATC can easily fit you into the traffic sequence and avoid collision. 
Let’s have more ideas as I guess ASOBO would appreciate suggestions with this regard, as it’s one of the items in the wish list.

Edited by raspian300

Live traffic when it doesn’t affects you (you are on ramp, other runways, other airports, etc...).

And AI taking control (which means ATC interaction) when it does affect you (landing sequence, take off, taxi, closer than X miles and collision heading...).

But I think this might be already implemented, because as they said, when the data is lost, the AI takes control of the aircraft and lands/taxi. This situation is not much different. 

Asobo probably worked out a solution for this, as it's one the main problems they faced when they implemented the real traffic. So far they have done an amazing job with the features they presented, so I expect they would have worked some magic to make ATC as real as possible, within the limitations. What solution is? Probably what was mentioned above: everything is live until your plane enters in conflict with a real one. Then probably AI takes control and ATC reacts to fix the situation. Perhaps the real traffic will be controlled by the AI until is out of your range.

For me the interesting question is: what will happen when some troll player starts messing around? I guess ATC will give some warning and I want to believe that if he doesn't follow the instructions, he will be disconnected from live multiplayer mode.

Edited by Beru

3 hours ago, Beru said:

For me the interesting question is: what will happen when some troll player starts messing around? I guess ATC will give some warning and I want to believe that if he doesn't follow the instructions, he will be disconnected from live multiplayer mode.

This should be the case as they mentioned in the last video the live player section is only for the ones who follow rules and regulations. Hopefully we can get some answers on the next feature discovery video. 
But what happens when a live traffic is directed to a waypoint in real life? Would FS ATC give the same instructions so the live traffic in the sim follows the same live path it has in real life? 

If the airport is not busy, then there isn't an issue.  So what to do if there is non-stop live traffic.  I think the simplest solution is to create holes in the traffic.  So the sim either doesn't render/show some planes, or reroutes a few planes out of sight.  So it creates artificial gaps of a few planes.

Edited by GlideBy

On 3/30/2020 at 8:44 AM, Beru said:

I guess ATC will give some warning and I want to believe that if he doesn't follow the instructions, he will be disconnected from live multiplayer mode.

I hope so... But also hope not. If they're being stupid and crashing into people on purpose, yeah. But it would suck if ATC kicks you off because you're working a failure that requires you to deviate from the flight plan (no, I can't climb to FL400 on one engine). 

Beyond that, especially when you're new at IFR, you screw up a lot. Just inputting all the instructions while keeping it below 250 under 10,000 is a challenge for a new IFR simmer. Throw SID/STARs at him and it's pretty much guaranteed he's gonna be deviating from ATC instructions, a lot. 

They'll need to come up with a way to tell the difference between a griefer and a newbie.

Edited by eslader

14 hours ago, eslader said:

I hope so... But also hope not. If they're being stupid and crashing into people on purpose, yeah. But it would suck if ATC kicks you off because you're working a failure that requires you to deviate from the flight plan (no, I can't climb to FL400 on one engine). 

Beyond that, especially when you're new at IFR, you screw up a lot. Just inputting all the instructions while keeping it below 250 under 10,000 is a challenge for a new IFR simmer. Throw SID/STARs at him and it's pretty much guaranteed he's gonna be deviating from ATC instructions, a lot. 

They'll need to come up with a way to tell the difference between a griefer and a newbie.

Still the challenge remains. How ATC will squeeze our planes While the live AI is operating...

Yeah, I don't see that happening realistically without the AI monkeying with "real" planes.  You could pull it off at the local private jet airport, but somewhere like KATL or KORD? No way, without fudging what the real-world planes are actually doing.

8 hours ago, eslader said:

Yeah, I don't see that happening realistically without the AI monkeying with "real" planes.  You could pull it off at the local private jet airport, but somewhere like KATL or KORD? No way, without fudging what the real-world planes are actually doing.

Yup. Still i rather have AI control the traffic rather than squeezing me in within the live traffic. I will sacrifice the EXACT location of live AI, but at least I am part of the party too.

• Like 2