Sign in to follow this  
aspeedbirdpilot

Is REALTURB worth it?

Yup, sure is. 

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

28 minutes ago, aspeedbirdpilot said:

Hi guys could anyone that owns this product tell me the experience when using REALTURB thanks very much 🙂

I have it for North and South America and to be honest, difficult to say if it has any noticeable influence in turbulence if you have also installed add-ons like Accu-Feel and ChasePlane, that also include turbulence effects on your aircraft.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Get the free Africa and Antarctica product, try a certain date and weather scenario downwind from a mountain and below the height of its peak.
Install Realturb and try the exact same scenario again. (You can't turn it on and off, it's either installed as a small file or uninstalled).
It works best with ActiveSky weather.

Here's my original take on it from about a year ago:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/554903-ma-realturb-north-america/?do=findComment&comment=4012549

I am now a fan of Realturb and think it's worth it when on sale. However, it really depends on what you want from your sim experience and from your cash.

Edited by F737NG
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Ah i see thank you very much i will try out the Africa and Antarctica product. Just a quick question, are there any performance impacts?

5 minutes ago, aspeedbirdpilot said:

Just a quick question, are there any performance impacts?

Strictly speaking, since to create the effect of the cockpit moving against the terrain requires the view through the windows to shift slightly, this means some re-drawing, which does of course require graphics processing, but we are talking about a tiny amount, so I doubt you'd notice any performance hit. I certainly have not noticed it making any difference in frame rates at all.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

I bought all of the regions recently, and I wouldn't sim without RealTurb now. I fly over the Rockies a lot, as I use CYVR as one of my hubs out of which I like to fly. RealTurb adds a level of realism (bumps, turbulence, wind effects, etc.), especially near mountains, that you just don't get without it.

• Upvote 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Why don't I notice a difference with RealTurb.  AccuFeel definitely makes a difference.  But when I turn off Accufeel, RealTurb does not seem to do anything.  I know it's installed correctly where it should be, but I was hoping there would be a config file for it so that you can actually see the program is working.

Stan

Depends on the weather. If the weather is nice and there's no turbulence for real, there won't be any in the sim, since RealTurb pulls data from real meteo reports and creates the turbulence based on that, whereas AccuFeel basically blags the turbulence a bit and the rest of what it does replicates the airframe shakes and rattles. So you can use both at the same time, but AccuFeel will always produce some affects (depending on the settings you have it on), whereas if there'd be no turbulence in real life for your situation, then RealTurb, as its name suggests, won't add any.

So you should be able to find some turbulence if you choose a place and time where it is expected. Some periods of the day are more noted for turbulence than others, for example, most glider pilots will know that on summer evenings the ride through the air will often be smooth as silk and if you can find wave lift in those conditions, you'll probably never have a smoother flight in your life. Conversely, if you go up on a real scorcher of a day in August and it's 2pm and you start circling in a thermal, then it will feel like someone is kicking the back of your seat lol.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

I own the Europe-version, but I still havent understood the big picture what it does under the hood. I get it they analyze surrounding terrain and tries to mimic how prevailing wind would be impacted. But

Does it do mountain waves?

Inversion layer turbulence? (Can get quite nasty)

Mechanical turbulence induced by Airport structures (or any structure for that matter)

Active sky already boast many turbulence effects (mostly thermal related) , do they co-exist?

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

13 hours ago, SAS443 said:

Does it do mountain waves?

Inversion layer turbulence? (Can get quite nasty)

Mechanical turbulence induced by Airport structures (or any structure for that matter)

Active sky already boast many turbulence effects (mostly thermal related) , do they co-exist?

The developer has posted here in the past as Avsim user "RealTurb." I don't know the answers to your questions (although I think RealTurb does mountain waves), so it might be worthwhile asking him. I do recall that RealTurb and Active Sky co-exist

• Like 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I can't remember, and I've looked for installation instructions...but to no avail.

With P3dv5, exactly how and where do we install RealTurb?  I have both USA and Europe.  I heard that RealTurb can be used with V5.  Are you using it, and again, how and where did you install it.?

Stan

I installed it in V4 and duplicated that into V5, i.e. in my case, copying the RealTurb Europe folder:

From here: C:\Users\Al\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

To here: C:\Users\Al\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons

Did the same with RealVolMet Europe as well.

Alan Bradbury