Sign in to follow this  
d.tsakiris

Surround Sound Systems - Will P3D Make Use Of Them?

Hello everyone,

thinking of replacing my old sound system, and looking at 5.1 surround systems. Question is: Will P3D use the surround channels, or will I be getting normal stereo sound?

Thanks,

Dimitrios

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

The sound is stereo.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

P3D won't natively drive a 5.1 system.  I use a Yamaha home theater receiver I bought off the scratch-n-dent discount table at Best Buy to synthesize signals to drive a 5.1 channel system (7.1 channel, actually, but I only use 5.1). 

I send the stereo audio from the computer to the receiver via a fiber optic S/PDIF (TOSLINK) cable, and its "7 Ch Enhancer" mode synthesizes independent signals to the speakers and subwoofer.  It produces a good immersive sound field, but not with 3D spatial effects like you get with actual surround sound content.  I use a 12" powered subwoofer with it to good effect, too.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Ok, too bad. But thanks for your feedback, guys.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

The sim may only output 2 ch but I had a 4.1 system for a while and it does give a good sense of spacial awareness. Give it a try, you will probably like it.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Interesting, thanks for the tip!

Best regards, Dimitrios

Ok, good to know, as I have the MJC! Looks like I'll have to spring for a surround system after all.

Ultimately, I'd like to have scenery, AI and engine sounds from a surround system, and ATC over headphones or the TV I'm using as screen. I'm sceptical that can be done, though. The A2A PA-24 for example seems to produce it's custom engine sounds through the cockpit...

Best regards, Dimitrios

No problem sending ATC audio to a headset (or to a separate set of speakers).

There are probably other ways to do this but here's how mine is set up:

I have a separate sound card in addition to the motherboard audio (usually Realtek).

In P3D audio settings, assign the the Primary Playback Device to the sound card and the Voice Playback Device to Realtek. Connect your main sound system to the sound card output and your headset to the Realtek output.

...Lloyd

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

I can tell the direction of taxiing aircraft, and I send primary to sound card (stereo system speakers) and atc to the HDMI connected TV speakers. Works great if ATC voice gets in the way I turn the TV down.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

a good soundcard like Creative SoundBlaster THX can emulate surround sound from a Stereo channel. Of course it´s not as good as the sound you´ll get from a Digital mastered DolbySurround or THX  source but it´s doing an acceptable job. In conjunction with the separation of atc and voice it´s going well. Its doing the same as a Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver.

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

GSX support true multi-channel audio ( 5.1, 7.1, etc. ), either with speakers or with 5.1/7.1 headphones. This because it uses its own sound engine, separated from the sim, through OpenAL, which is centered around 3d sound.

While most common soundcards use OpenAL in DirectX mode, so what will actually create audio will be the standard DirectSound drivers, in some cases OpenAL can be hardware accelerated and include extra effect, such as Creative Labs EAX extensions or the extra on-board memory some cards have to cache samples, for a lower cpu impact when loading new sounds.

All GSX vehicles have 3d positional audio, and not just their engines, even when they do extra sounds, the sound emitter is located where it's supposed to be. For example, the metallic sound of the catering cart being pushed by the catering guy, has the sound emitter located precisely on the vehicle extending catwalk. GSX passengers chatting and making belt noise will be heard *behind* you (if you are setting in the cockpit), if you have a multi-channel audio system, and if you turn your head towards the cabin, the sound rotates in front of you, because GSX tracks the eyepoint position/orientation in realtime constantly, precisely for the reason to support positional audio.

Since, like anything else in GSX or FSDT, every software tech we use is exposed to all our add-ons using Python scripts, thanks to the Couatl engine, not only we already had this since FSX ( and then P3D, all its versions ), but even some of our sceneries can use it.

So, in addition to have GSX vehicles sounds coming from their proper direction in 3D on a multi-channel audio setup ( all of them have 3d emitters placed in the same world coordinate system used in the simulator, and they also move with the vehicle ), we used this feature in some of our sceneries.

At KMEM, the Control Tower interior, which can be visited in Avatar mode, has all sort of sounds effects, all of them fully 3D. For example, the top floor has several telephones that sometimes ring at random, and you can easily hear which one is ringing because there's a separate sound emitter for the ringing sound located precisely at the coordinates of the actual telephone graphic 3d model, same for the random keyboard typing in the background, or the random atc chatter, with a sound emitter located in the position of the radio receiver 3d mesh.

There are many other 3d sounds at KMEM, several hangars have their own ambient sounds, especially the big FedEx one has quite a bit of sounds in it, all positional.

All without affecting fps in any way, since all processing happens entirely outside the simulator, in its own memory space and its own separate threads, and of course everything is removed from the system as soon the control tower interior is unloaded from memory, that is when exiting Avatar mode.

Edited by virtuali

Superb! The sound system should be arriving today, can't wait to test it!

Edited by d.tsakiris

Best regards, Dimitrios