Sign in to follow this  
MSFS Ralf

STOL aircraft recommendations

Hi pilots,

I‘m looking for your recommendations on a STOL aircraft, to visit places like Saba and St Barts. What I own is the DHC6, not bad but I try to limit my virtual flying to top notch aircraft. How is the Kodiak by Thandra? Or should I wait for the TorqueSim Islander to be released? Any others? Many thanks in advance.

Hello Ralf: Wait for the BN Islander coming to market. I have  an Evektor EV-55 Outback which is STOL for XPlane 11. I have flown into John Osborne Airport in Montserrat  with a runway of  553 metres/1,814 feet full stop.Takes practice of course. The islander is the perfect plane.I might buy the islander after reading reviews.  Nice looking plane so far by  TorqueSIM . HAPPY FLYING!!!!!!

Nice plane, good choice. I had one back in the days of Microsoft sim 2004 I had good time flying it.Good luck with it.  HAPPY FLYING!!!!!

Edited by Paul Deluca

You can't get more STOL than the Harrier!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

10 hours ago, Ralf Maylin said:

The Turbo Otter looks very interesting. Thanks.

I have the Otter - excellent, and I just got the updated Kodiak - five bucks off at .org. Thranda's also working on a Pilatus PC6 which would meet your requirements but it's still in the 'who knows' stage.

Thanks a lot, Olderndirt. From avionics, the Kodiak looks best to me. Since I started flying the TBM 900 I appreciate flying a G1000 equipment plane very much. Is it worth to pimp it with the REP add on?

7 hours ago, Ralf Maylin said:

Thanks a lot, Olderndirt. From avionics, the Kodiak looks best to me. Since I started flying the TBM 900 I appreciate flying a G1000 equipment plane very much. Is it worth to pimp it with the REP add on?

Bad person to ask - never been a fan of gadgetry but that's me.

The Pilatus PC-12 is great as a fast-cruise STOL aircraft, with an undercarriage rated for rough field use. We don't have a study-level model, but the Carenado version isn't bad. Very sexy aircraft. Some videos of the real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_XLHloFmm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP-9mWqFh3c

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thank you for your inspiration, I have ordered the Kodiak. If everything goes well, I will have 10 days off from Friday and will enjoy St Bart and Saba by Airworthydesigns. Thanks for your answers, I am still looking forward to the Islander...

Edited by Ralf Maylin

hey bro, im looking just the same recommendation as you asked. Hows Twotter and Kodiak perform? im little bit confused what should i buy. First one twotter  i like it very much but i see the plane doesnt get update until now. Im questioning hows the PT6 intergation with new x-plane version? is it still acceptable? and i found this tweak https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/57247-dhc6-v2-tweaks/ . But i dont know it will make significant changes. My second consideration is kodiak, but what i didnt like its a single engine plane. TBM 900 is very great! but its not stol a/c .

Dray Langley

I have yet to find anything on the Kodiak I don't like.  Not a big fan of glass panels but this one makes sense.  Flying is extremely accurate - full flaps, solid 60 down final a little nose up over the fence, into reverse - talk about short field.  Not cheap - $2.3 million for the base model but you get what you pay for.

Edited by olderndirt

There’s nothing wrong with the Kodiak. Today, at the different forum I read something about it being underestimated. I noticed some strange ground handling, was able to steer it around corners using the pedals. That, and the bad screeching brake noise disappeared after adding the REP package. What I like most is modern avionics and the STOL capabilities in one plane.

Edited by Ralf Maylin

6 hours ago, Ralf Maylin said:

There’s nothing wrong with the Kodiak. Today, at the different forum I read something about it being underestimated. I noticed some strange ground handling, was able to steer it around corners using the pedals. That, and the bad screeching brake noise disappeared after adding the REP package. What I like most is modern avionics and the STOL capabilities in one plane.

Those wings are key.  Normally a wing is twisted from where it attaches to the fuselage (angle of incidence) outboard to the tip in an attempt to provide some aileron control into the stall and ensure that the inboard section stalls first.  Look at how Quest handles this with separate outboard wing areas that'll be at a lower angle of attack as the inboard sections approach the stall.  Good stuff.