Sign in to follow this  
PhotoReal Earth

FRANCE VFR - 30% off

Ooops, as I've noticed France VFR have expanded / extended *) their sale over Easter until April, 14th:
http://www.francevfr.com/

*) What's the difference between expand and extend? Two letters? 😉
Which one is the right word in this context?

Edited by PhotoReal Earth

Regarding time extend is the appropriate one. But the offer anyhow is looking good.

Although extend and expand can be used interchangeably in some contexts, extend applies to things that are being stretched out, while expand applies to things that are spread out. One implies length; the other area.

If you extend your arm, for example, you stretch it out, making it longer. If your waist expands, it’s getting larger. As a business expands, or gets larger, it may extend its opening hours.

Extend comes from a word meaning “to stretch out, lengthen.” (Latin extendere, “stretch out,” from ex– “out” + tendere, “to stretch.”)

Expand comes from a word meaning “spread out, spread flat.” (Latin ex– “out” + pandere “to spread, stretch.”

In the following quotation that uses both words, extend conveys a lengthening of time, while expand indicates that more people will be covered by the credit:

"On Wednesday, the Senate voted to extend and expand the tax credit to include many buyers who already own homes."

Source: https://www.dailywritingtips.com/expanded-and-extended/

Edited by furger
  • Like 1

Andreas Furger

Extend in this context is correct. The sale is to last longer.

Expand is not correct because it is not going to include more products.

Here is another example: "He was obliged to extend his belt as his waistline continued to expand."

• Like 1

It's an explanation of the difference between two words in the English language.

I doubt that you need an explanation of the highly erudite "W T F"

• Like 2

@furger and @Reader : thank you very much, it was a great help for me.

5 hours ago, Reader said:

Here is another example: "He was obliged to extend his belt as his waistline continued to expand."

This is a good sentence. So I will never forget the difference for the rest of my life 👍  🙂

@jskibo W T F stands for "we talk friendly", as I suppose?   😇    😉   😊

• Like 2