Hi Guys.  What do you all recommend for a usb 2.0 powered hub?  I've been plagued by intermittent problems with mine.  Having to reconnect or disconnect.  Profiles forgotten.  I currently run 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ESP144/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this one.  Considering ordering a different kind of hub and trying it out for a while.  Will keep it if it works, or return if the problems remain.  Looking in the 7-10 port neighborhood.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

I've been plagued by intermittent problems with mine.  Having to reconnect or disconnect.

If you haven't done so, I would try plugging the powered hub into a different USB port on your computer, and made sure the computer does not have the option to power down that critical USB port.

Al

Edited by ark

well it's a usb 2.0 hub so didn't think it would work out if I plugged into one of the other ones which aren't 2.0?  I'll check my settings again.  I thought I had it set up that way.  Thanks for the reply.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

6 minutes ago, ark said:

If you haven't done so, I would try plugging the powered hub into different USB ports on your computer, and made sure the computer does not have the option to power down that critical USB port.

Al

the other problem I'm having is just identifying what's what.  Sounds funny yes.  But when I go to devices it's really hard for me to say for certain which ports are actually what.  

16 minutes ago, micstatic said:

well it's a usb 2.0 hub so didn't think it would work out if I plugged into one of the other ones which aren't 2.0?  I'll check my settings again.  I thought I had it set up that way.  Thanks for the reply.  

What I meant was that since most computers have more than one USB 2.0 port, sometimes using a different 2.0 USB port can make a difference (a port on the front of the machine compared to one on the back, etc).

Also, you should go into the Control Panel Device Manager and under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers option make sure whatever USB ports you are using can't be powered down by the computer (box below should be unchecked). Since I'm using a desktop computer and battery power is not an issue, I make sure none of the USB ports can be turned off by the computer.

6e533216a5.JPG

Al

Edited by ark

All my controller is connected to a 10port 3.0hub, as well as a monitor and some other things, without any problem

Also a 2.0hub for mouse\keyborad and TrackIR.

I was just thinking about this.  I currently have 3 separate USB hubs that all provide the 500mA per port that the Saitek FIP's need (https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-7-Port-Speed-Charging-Adapter/dp/B00L2LK164).  I did buy a PCIE USB2.0 card to plug them in.  The problem I have is similar to micstatic if they are not powered on in the correct order it messes up all the control mappings I have set.  I was looking at a large USB 2.0 hub and wondered if anyone has tried something similar.  https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Sipolar-Charging-Station-Tablets/dp/B07MBSL3CR

I have a home built cockpit, so mounting won't be a problem.  The only question is if having so many USB devices basically off one port on my PC becomes too much of bottleneck for FIP's and other controls.  Do they need to be split between multiple hubs (not daisy chained) just for that bandwidth?  (I am currently using 19 ports, but my pit is built for 6 more FIP's)

it really can be a maddening problem.  For instance if I plug in my USB headphones before I turn on the power button as opposed to after the computer is booted up.  I may have to re-import my controls or may have to change the USB port settings on my thermal printer.  

I run several powered 4 port usb2 hubs in my own cockpit to spread the load. If you use FSUIPC paid version, you have the facility to use 'joystick lettering' which gets over most of the problems associated with port designations being randomly changed. It's fully described in the FSUIPC documentation. In addition to the hubs I also use a usb3 extension lead from a discrete usb3 port for occasional use with usb stick for transferring software. All devices work without problems. If you need to unplug and replug a control or a hub, it's best to do it when all power is off, even though usb technically allows hot plugging. Also, usb2 hubs should work perfectly well in any usb3 socket.

Edited by Biggles2010
  • Like 1

John B

Here's a link to a freeware program which will identify, with specificity, exactly what is hooked up to all of your USB ports.  It also shows you the "history" of what was plugged into USB ports previously.  This is useful especially when you have a lot of GoFlight modules and want to get rid of "prior USB memory."

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

This is a quote from the author's website:

"USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.  For each USB device, extended information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more...USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer, as well as to disable and enable USB devices.You can also use USBDeview on a remote computer, as long as you login to that computer with admin use."

Hope this helps!

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

2 hours ago, Biggles2010 said:

If you use FSUIPC paid version, you have the facility to use 'joystick lettering' which gets over most of the problems associated with port designations being randomly changed. It's fully described in the FSUIPC documentation.

I had no idea this was there!  While this doesn't change all the rats nest of USB hubs, it does solve the major problem I've had with them making using the smaller port counts usable.  Thank you!

23 minutes ago, Waterman981 said:

I had no idea this was there!  While this doesn't change all the rats nest of USB hubs, it does solve the major problem I've had with them making using the smaller port counts usable.  Thank you!

I should say that I still use P3Dv3 because the cockpit was built around that. If you are using P3D v4 it requires a different version of FSUIPC which I think has the same facility, but I can't confirm it.

Also, I mark each usb lead and the hub position it should occupy, and similarly with the hub to pc connections, so they go back to the same positions if I need to unplug for maintenance of any part. It's a belt and braces approach.

Edited by Biggles2010

John B

thanks all.  I also use the registered FSUIPC.  It's been on my to do list to figure out how to letter the ports.  But I haven't figured out exactly how to do it, so have kept putting it off.  But I'd like to figure it out.  Some of my problems however are with P3D itself and controls before it ever gets to FSUIPC.  Is the lettering an easy task?

2 minutes ago, micstatic said:

thanks all.  I also use the registered FSUIPC.  It's been on my to do list to figure out how to letter the ports.  But I haven't figured out exactly how to do it, so have kept putting it off.  But I'd like to figure it out.  Some of my problems however are with P3D itself and controls before it ever gets to FSUIPC.  Is the lettering an easy task?

The lettering is very easy. Pete Dowson has provided an excellent manual with FSUIPC. It's in the modules folder and is worth printing if you want to make full use of FSUIPC, although it's about 60 pages. Regardless, I would strongly recommend reading it because it's very precise, and has so much useful information which you might find useful for other things.

• Upvote 1

John B