Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone,

I ordered a pair of CH pedals a week ago, and used them for a couple of days. In short, they were massively disappointing - the rudder travel has a huge deadzone in the left extreme of its range but not the right, and an inexplicable bump in the sliding action going to the right but not the left. I decided to RMA the unit and come here for an opinion.

After that experience, the next logical go-to is the Logitech/Saitek pedals. The reason I did not go for that at first is because of the negative reviews regarding quality control and longevity. The problem is: those posts were made years ago before Logitech's acquisition of Saitek. Now that Logitech has taken over, has the quality control changed? For people who use those pedals, how do you find them and what's your biggest complaint? For people who used the CH pedals, is my experience a one-of?

I do understand that at this price point, there is no "perfect pedal," which is precisely the reason I came here for the "lesser of the two evils" answer. I am also aware of the VKB, MFG, Virtualfly, etc. pedals. Those are well out of my budget when brand new. If anyone has a used set to sell, I'd be open for some pricing discussions, but otherwise, I'm firmly stuck in the low end of the price spectrum.

Any inputs on these issues are welcomed; thanks in advance!

Haoning Qu

I have Saitek Pro Cessna pedals with now over 8 years of constant use.  I have no idea where you have read what you indicated.  Mine have been flawless.  Still are.  Thus I have found no need to try out the Logitech branded pedals.  I cannot imagine why after acquisition of the Saitek brand that a company like Logitech would flirt with unneeded changes.

Are these the most realistic, most real-to-life pedals available.  Likely not.  How thick is your wallet?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I heard the Saitek Cessna line of products is very good, many problems just aren't present. Things like the deadzone on the Pro Flight Yoke isn't there on the Cessna Yoke, that kind of thing. The reviews have mostly been on the Pro Flight Pedals, the generic kind. I would go for the Cessna line, but it's apparently rarer than Russian caviar here in Canada.

My wallet tops at around $250-$300 of the finest Canadian Rupies. I'm not poor enough to be unable to get a good pair of pedals; I'm poor enough to be scared of the post-pandemic economical crash. 🤪 That's why I'm limiting at around $300 for this one.

Haoning Qu

I have the even older saitek pedals, the pro flight series before the Cessna range.

Ive gone through 3 pc’s , moved house 3 times And all the while the pedals where there waiting , each time unpacked and worked flawlessly.

i like how they feel, the spacing between the feet is comfortable. They have a nice sliding action also. The tension in the sliding action can be set with the knob between the pedals, which gives a nice “hydraulic” feel to them and don’t just snap back to centre.

The pedals hold your feet nicely due to the heel rests, they don’t slip off. I find also the angle of the pedals to be right, not too upright.

Mine are quiet, no strange noises or creaking..

They are now at leat 10 years old...I don’t have any issues with noise pots or calibration issues due to that.

i payed around £100 for mine new, so it’s cost me less than £10 a year so far, great value for money I think especially considering they are budget pedals....and they are still going strong 👍

Luke Pype

I have had the same set of CH pedals, stick, and throttle quadrant for over 10 years now.  No issues with the pedals, but I do recommend using the CH software to calibrate the controllers and set the dead zones.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 4/1/2020 at 8:41 AM, stans said:

I have had the same set of CH pedals, stick, and throttle quadrant for over 10 years now.  No issues with the pedals, but I do recommend using the CH software to calibrate the controllers and set the dead zones.

I have tried that, but I was also 100% certain it's a hardware problem. I have a new one on order since the Saitek isn't in stock right now for my area; I'm hoping this set will be better.

On 4/1/2020 at 5:38 AM, MaDDogz said:

Mine are quiet, no strange noises or creaking..

They are now at leat 10 years old...I don’t have any issues with noise pots or calibration issues due to that.

I guess this is the inconsistency that has me concerned. It seems like for every person who had a bad experience, there's also one who had a good experience. If this set of CH pedals turns out to be the same, I'll go order a Saitek pair from another store who has them in stock.

Haoning Qu

I had saitek one (actually, 2). Before I bought them, many guys  told me it's likely to "luxation" with it's mechanical (while easily fixable), but they are from combat flight sim community. I have never experience that, maybe because I was more peaceful?

I had one brake spring hook broken after like...10 years of use? fair enought for a plastic structure.

Now I use a Thrustmaster TFRP, same price range of saitek one, just smaller.

The main problem with these pedals are the plastic friction makes smooth moving very had, even with tons of lubricant.

This is a bit of a late response, but thank you to everyone for their input.

I exchanged for another set of CH pedals, and the problem is still there. However, it is far, far less pronounced and is pretty much negligible.

For now, the CH pedals will do just fine, it gets better once it's used a bit and I got used to the forces required eventually.

The spacing is an issue for me, where I feel the discomfort in my legs even after short periods of use, but trust me, a real-life Cessna 152 isn't exactly comfortable either.

I can see the Saitek spacing being better, but I can't confirm it since I've never used it.

Haoning Qu

Interesting responses here, since I am in the market for rudder pedals also, thinking that the Logitech pro pedals at about 170 bucks on Amazon will probably work fine for my first and hopefully last set now. The spacing between pedals looks like it would be more comfortable than the CH pedals, so I'm glad that I saw this post. Good points all around!

• Like 1