Sign in to follow this  
kttd

OOM every flight

On my very modest computer I get an OOM with every flight, the only Carenado product of about 20 airplanes that gives me an issue.  No other plane in my hangar gives me OOM, including the A2A C172 and Cherokee.  Before I give up on it, perhaps someone has a few tips and tricks.  

My FPS is locked at 30 and the S550 has been fluctuating between 20 and 30.

i700@ 3.4 ghZ - RAM 16 - GeForce 760 video card.

Which simulator?  FSX, FSX-SE, P3D 32-bit, or P3D 64-bit??

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I'm with Bob, need to know which sim although I'm betting it's FSX, FSX:SE, or P3Dv3.  Can't rule out P3Dv4 though, I had an OOM in P3Dv4 not too long ago while testing some of our software (found the memory leak and corrected it... LOL).

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

The GeForce 760 only had 2gb of VRAM, with P3d V4 you could exhaust that pretty quick.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thanks friends, when you turn 70 you experience many stupid things on a daily basis.

I'm attempting to use this plane in FSX/A.

If you are using FSUIPC Version 4.XXX for FSX you can set up FSUIPC to show the remaining memory.  You can set it up to show in the tile bar in the window mode or to show up at the top in full screen mode or both.

To set this up from the menu go to ADD-ons, select "FSUIPC", select the "Logging" tab, In specific values in the first line set the offset to "024C" and the type to "U32".  Leave the HEX box unchecked. Check the "FS Title Bar" if you're using a window for FSX or "FS Window" if using full screen. You can check both if you want to. I am not sure if you need the licensed version of FSUIPC or not for this feature.

After you set this up you will see in the upper left corner "IPC:024C (U32) = XXXXXX".  "XXXXXX" is the remaining memory.  Also if FSUIPC sees that the memory is getting low it will start making a dinging sound.

This may help in trouble shooting your issues.

Far as Carenado planes causing your issues. I have had good luck with most of their planes and OOM issues. I have more issues with MILVIZ and Just Flight planes because of their textures sizes using up more memory and have reduced the texture size for most of their planes.

You can try to reduce your display settings, turning off road traffic, turning off custom scenery to see if ant of theses are causing the issues and then increase them in steps to see what happens.

I also had issues with turbine jets and prop planes causing OOM issues. I think it is because I fly them higher and it takes more memory to show the graphics further out.

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Thanks John, for the tip.  I reduced textures by half and was able to complete a flight, fluctuating between 5-24 FPS.  I don't think this is a workable piece of software for my ancient computer.  A little bit confusing since I own many Carenado planes that work fine, as well as A2A.

Edited by kttd

All newer Carenado aircraft are rather heavy concerning systems and especially graphics requirements. Superb graphics but they aren't for free.

Thanks.

I asked because most if not all of my other Carenado planes work fine, and my A2A C172 as well.

Live and learn.

David

On 4/2/2020 at 9:18 PM, FDEdev said:

All newer Carenado aircraft are rather heavy concerning systems and especially graphics requirements. Superb graphics but they aren't for free.

16 minutes ago, kttd said:

I asked because most if not all of my other Carenado planes work fine, and my A2A C172 as well.

I don't know if you have newer than the 550 Carenado aircraft and/or glass cockpit equipped ones. They are usually more framerate heavy than the older non-glass versions like the 550.  

To successfully use this product I've had to reduce texture size(s) and limit my flying to the more un-inhabited locations of FSX/A.  Ergo, some Africa and South American locations.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:19 PM, kttd said:

To successfully use this product I've had to reduce texture size(s) and limit my flying to the more un-inhabited locations of FSX/A.  Ergo, some Africa and South American locations.

I'm seeing pretty consistent CTD's with both this aircraft and the Premier in v5. Despite being called "v5 compatible", I don't think they have done any optimization to deal with some of the crash reports in the DX12 environment.  I can run the exact same scenario and settings with my Turbine Duke, A2A or any other aircraft in v5, but with the Carenado jets I get the driver hangs and gpu crashes.  I don't know if anyone else is seeing similar.

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5