Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Better ocean textures than default in P3D 4.5?

Hi, newly enrolled in P3D 4.5 from v3.4.  I don't recall if the water textures I had in P3D 3.4 came from an REX product which it may well have I don't recall now it was so long ago I installed v3.4, but it was so far superior to what I'm seeing now in v4.5 that is just pretty darn awful!  I have have REX Sky Force, but it doesn't seem to have water textures.  Anyway, everything else looks fabulous but ocean around Santa Barbara CA which is where I first looked closely is just nasty.  I can see the difference from Low to Ultra for sure, but it is very blurry looking by comparison to what I am used to which was quite decent.  Brand new install of Win 10 and P3D 4.5.  Any suggestions?  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

49 minutes ago, Noel said:

Hi, newly enrolled in P3D 4.5 from v3.4.  I don't recall if the water textures I had in P3D 3.4 came from an REX product which it may well have I don't recall now it was so long ago I installed v3.4, but it was so far superior to what I'm seeing now in v4.5 that is just pretty darn awful!  I have have REX Sky Force, but it doesn't seem to have water textures.  Anyway, everything else looks fabulous but ocean around Santa Barbara CA which is where I first looked closely is just nasty.  I can see the difference from Low to Ultra for sure, but it is very blurry looking by comparison to what I am used to which was quite decent.  Brand new install of Win 10 and P3D 4.5.  Any suggestions?  

You can try the water textures that come with REX. But, I've found that the best water comes from PTA. It allows you to tweak the water colors to your linking.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The default P3D4.5 water textures are the best in my opinion. I have Rex and leave them unchecked. Every system is different. I do not experience blurry even with a GTX 970. Push the setting up.

Edited by D Nelson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don Nelson

Well, maybe something in how I have the my nV driver set up in sim.  All I can say for sure is:  in v3.4 textures were great, in 4.5, very ugly and so blurry.  It may be something in my driver settings.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I agree - default textures are best in 4.x. REX4 texture direct is also good, except the fact that high level flying over tropical areas reveals repeating patterns of coral depictions.  

The key is to properly ‘shade’ it.  I use PTA & Matt’s latest (2.67 I believe) preset, and makes the ocean water look really good - to me.  Beautiful - especially near coastlines.  

If you have ‘blurry’ water and/or ground textures, then check the excellent AvSim P3D tweak guide to configure your P3D config file and sharpen the textures / eliminate blurries.  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

27 minutes ago, joby33y said:

I agree - default textures are best in 4.x. REX4 texture direct is also good, except the fact that high level flying over tropical areas reveals repeating patterns of coral depictions.  

The key is to properly ‘shade’ it.  I use PTA & Matt’s latest (2.67 I believe) preset, and makes the ocean water look really good - to me.  Beautiful - especially near coastlines.  

If you have ‘blurry’ water and/or ground textures, then check the excellent AvSim P3D tweak guide to configure your P3D config file and sharpen the textures / eliminate blurries.  

Thanks, that's the thing I have zero blurriness in ground textures they are crystal clear.   This fuzziness in the default ocean texture is something I've not seen ever in prior version of P3D.  I did pick up Texture Direct and installed one water texture I think I used before and it was even worse!  As I say maybe it's a driver setting or something not commonly done so others aren't seeing this.   I will need to learn how to use PTA and fine Matt's latest ;o)

Edited by Noel

Noel

Maybe it would be wise to start with posting your settings in regard of water in your P3Dv4.x setup? Or did I miss this part?

I use water on "very high", not "ultra". I have "bathymetry" deactivated and most reflection options activated. Water looks ok, not perfect but ok. With REX EF, I can basically change the colour and appearance of the water on the fly inside the sim to whatever look I like. Prefer presets though, as it can be easily mistweaked.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS